Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by songsc
My understanding is that at altitude aircrafts are separated at greater distance, so wake turbulence is less a concern.
Most airliners now fly according to reduced vertical separation minima (a fancy way of saying they can be as little as 1000' apart vertically) and can follow each other relatively closely. Although an ATC FT member can better explain this, I believe there exist procedures to minimize assigning aircraft to high-risk profiles during the en route portion of flight (a lighter airplane flying below and in trail of a heavy airplane for example). I'm not sure these procedures account for momentary crossings of trajectory as in this instance; particularly if one airplane is changing flight levels.

Note that wake turbulence is greater according to how heavy the aircraft is, how fast it is moving, and its configuration (flaps, slats, gear) etc. Slow, heavy and dirty are the variables that exacerbate the turbulence given by a given airplane. They also describe a former girlfriend, but I digress.

Despite aircraft being 'fast and clean' while en route, wake turbulence is indeed a concern at altitude, not just in the takeoff and approach stages of flight.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Most airliners now fly according to reduced vertical separation minima (a fancy way of saying they can be as little as 1000' apart vertically) and can follow each other relatively closely. Although an ATC FT member can better explain this, I believe there exist procedures to minimize assigning aircraft to high-risk profiles during the en route portion of flight (a lighter airplane flying below and in trail of a heavy airplane for example). I'm not sure these procedures account for momentary crossings of trajectory as in this instance; particularly if one airplane is changing flight levels.
Yeah RVSM has been implemented in the past 20 years or so. Basically the minimum vertical separation between FL290 and FL410 is reduced from 2000ft to 1000ft, as the accuracy of altimeter has been improved. The exact procedures vary.

For those interested, here's a short Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduce...aration_minima
For those who are very interested, or just bored: https://www.icao.int/esaf/documents/...sentations.pdf

Slow, heavy and dirty are the variables that exacerbate the turbulence given by a given airplane. They also describe a former girlfriend, but I digress.
They better describe a soon to be separated girlfriend rather than ex
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:37 pm

AC296 tonight.
A320 Most likely ingested birds, aborted takeoff.
Blew a couple tires in the process.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by tracon
"Blew a couple tires in the process."

Yet they didn't depart? Doesn't an A320 have at least four more tires? Any excuse not to go to Winnipeg...
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Interesting.

I was aware of wake turbulence on takeoff but not at altitude. I wonder how often this occurs.
Wake turbulence is quite common at cruise altitude - which is why a minimum separation between aircraft exists. This minimum separation is fine for aircraft following each other. However when aircraft flight paths cross each each at angles, the effects of wake turbulence can be more pronounced.

Some rough order of magnitude numbers:

A wake vortex can be up to 15 nautical miles behind the aircraft.
The wake vortex falls in altitude over time by 300-500 feet per minute.
The wake vortex will last until about 1000 feet below the aircraft.

Other factors that determine the type and strength of a wake vortex are weight, heavier aircraft will generate a stronger vortex.
Wing size, a longer span creates a wake vortex that lives longer in the air.
Weather, in good clear weather, the wake vortex lives longer in the air.
Winglets, since the winglets act as wingspan extension, this means the wake vortex is longer lived in the air.

Last edited by jaysona; Sep 21, 2018 at 11:01 pm
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by songsc
Yeah RVSM has been implemented in the past 20 years or so. Basically the minimum vertical separation between FL290 and FL410 is reduced from 2000ft to 1000ft, as the accuracy of altimeter has been improved. The exact procedures vary.
Except not all aircraft are RVSM certified.

Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sept. 25, Crew fell off the stairs from the cabin crew rest area.
An Air Canada Boeing 777-33ER (C-FNNW/ACA871) from Paris/Charles de Gaulle, France (LFPG) to Montreal/Pierre Elliott Trudeau Int'l, QC (CYUL) declared a medical emergency and requested diversion to Halifax/Stanfield Int'l, NS (CYHZ) and for emergency medical services (EMS) to meet the aircraft. The aircraft landed at 1543Z.

Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:45 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Having seen and been up those very steep stairs, one of my first questions I asked the crew was if they had ever fallen down them when returning to the cabin. The two FAs I spoke to both said "Yes".

So I guess sometimes those falls cause injuries. But to divert a flight it must have been something serious. I hope the crew member involved recovers quickly.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yeah, I remember thinking that unless I really wanted a proper sleep, I'd rather take a jumpseat than the crew rest area (at least on the 788). I didn't enjoy climbing up, being there, or coming down.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Incident: Canada A320 near Toronto on Aug 28th 2018, hydraulic leak

Source: Incident: Canada A320 near Toronto on Aug 28th 2018, hydraulic leak

Originally Posted by avherald

By Simon Hradecky, created Wednesday, Sep 19th 2018 20:25Z, last updated Wednesday, Sep 19th 2018 20:44Z

An Air Canada Airbus A320-200, registration C-FPWD performing flight AC-415 from Montreal,QC to Toronto,ON (Canada) with 148 people on board, was enroute at FL260 when the crew declared emergency reporting a hydraulic failure and requesting emergency services on standby and a tug ready to tow the aircraft off the runway. The aircraft continued to Toronto for a safe landing on runway 23 and was towed to the apron...
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Incident: Canada A320 at Montreal on Sep 16th 2018, two ADRs inop

Source: Incident: Canada A320 at Montreal on Sep 16th 2018, two ADRs inop

By Simon Hradecky, created Friday, Sep 28th 2018 21:05Z, last updated Friday, Sep 28th 2018 21:05Z

An Air Canada Airbus A320-200, registration C-FDRH performing flight AC-336 from Edmonton,AB to Montreal,QC (Canada) with 146 passengers and 5 crew, was descending towards Montreal when the crew declared PAN PAN reporting they had lost two Air Data Reference (ADR) Units. The aircraft continued for a safe landing in Montreal and shut down on the runway. The aircraft was towed to the apron...
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Incident: Canada A320 at Winnipeg on Sep 27th 2018, persistent crab

Source: Incident: Canada A320 at Winnipeg on Sep 27th 2018, persistent crab

By Simon Hradecky, created Wednesday, Oct 3rd 2018 20:35Z, last updated Wednesday, Oct 3rd 2018 20:36Z

An Air Canada Airbus A320-200, registration C-FZUB performing flight AC-264 from Winnipeg,MB to Toronto,ON (Canada), was climbing through FL200 on autopilot when the flight crew noticed the aircraft showed a 5 degrees left bank and right rudder input. The crew disconnected the autopilot but needed to apply the same left roll and right rudder input in order to maintain heading in manual flight. The crew decided to return to Winnipeg and landed safely about 40 minutes after departure...
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Incident: Jazz CRJ9 at San Diego on Sep 28th 2018, electrical problems

Source: Incident: Jazz CRJ9 at San Diego on Sep 28th 2018, electrical problems

By Simon Hradecky, created Friday, Oct 5th 2018 19:51Z, last updated Friday, Oct 5th 2018 19:52Z

A Jazz Canadair CRJ-900, registration C-FJZD performing flight QK-8667 from San Diego,CA (USA) to Vancouver,BC (Canada) with 73 people on board, was climbing through 10,000 feet MSL out of San Diego's runway 27 when the crew received a caution light for the DC Emergency bus prompting the crew to stop the climb at 12,000 feet MSL. The crew did not declare emergency, however, ATC did declare emergency for the aircraft considering how many systems could be lost due to the failure. The crew requested an ILS approach to runway 09 due to ceilings being below the operator's minima for the non-precision approaches. The aircraft landed safely on runway 09 about 21 minutes after departure...
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Incident: Canada B763 enroute on Oct 6th 2018, plastics and ovens don't go together

By Simon Hradecky, created Thursday, Oct 18th 2018 20:10Z, last updated Thursday, Oct 18th 2018 20:10Z

An Air Canada Boeing 767-300, registration C-FPCA performing flight AC-10 from Calgary,AB to Toronto,ON (Canada) with 218 people on board, was enroute when a burning plastic odour emanated from an oven in the mid galley. The crew turned the oven off, the odour dissipated and the flight continued to destination for a safe landing.

The Canadian TSB reported the source of the odour was identified to be plastics that was in contact with an oven coil. The oven was replaced.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...840Z/CYYC/CYYZ
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Incident: Sky Regional E175 at Atlanta on Oct 12th 2018, pitot loses to bird

By Simon Hradecky, created Wednesday, Oct 17th 2018 20:44Z, last updated Wednesday, Oct 17th 2018 20:44Z

A Sky Regional Airlines Embraer ERJ-175, registration C-FUJA performing flight RS-7548 (dep Oct 11th) from Toronto,ON (Canada) to Atlanta,GA (USA) with 69 passengers and 4 crew, was on approach to Atlanta's runway 27L descending through 3500 feet MSL when the crew heard a bang. Shortly afterwards the crew received a "APPR 2 NOT AVAILABLE" EICAS message, the thrust started to increase. The crew disconnected the autopilot and manually reduced the thrust to the correct setting. After crosschecking the parameters and confirming what the problem was the crew switched control to ADS #1 (left side), re-engaged the approach mode on the autopilot, activated the autopilot and continued for a stable approach to and landing on runway 27L.

The Canadian TSB reported a post flight inspection found a dent and remains of a bird just forward of the ADS probes on the right hand side of the nose, there was debris in the ADSP4 probe. The manufacturer's repair procedures were followed before the aircraft returned to service.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...100Z/CYYZ/KATL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.