Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
As I was taxiing out of HKG on an onward flight, I could see her outside one of the doors at the HAECO facility. Ladder near the tail and a light focused on the tail undercarriage area.

i heard that it is some serious damage, it may take a week to repair and no it won’t buff out.
Are you sure it wasn't medium-soft-heavy-serious damage?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: *G
AC 7055 (77W) left YYZ just after noon today to operate the return flight - appears to be departing HKG at 10.00 Dec 13. (So as things stand, there will be two flights AC 16 in the air on Dec 13, 6 hours apart??)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
@24left

Glad you're okay. I had the same thought as others when I first saw the above post about AC15: "Wait, wasn't left on that flight?"

That doesn't sound fun. Count on you to express more concern for a piece of AC metal than yourself.
24left likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
The FO was doing the landing and he was a recent FO, and he moved up from the Embraer I guess he needs a bit more practice.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by mellon
The FO was doing the landing and he was a recent FO, and he moved up from the Embraer....
And how do you know this?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
There shouldn't be too great a ripple effect on the fleet at this time of the year. If the 77W is still out of service at the Christmas rush and there's domestic backlogs due to IROPS, it might be noticed, but now's the time of year that many planes are scheduled for heavy maintenance, repainting etc. Losing the use of a 77W in July would create a lot more headaches.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:38 pm

And how do you know this?
You alluded to it earlier; a lot of us are pilots and/or work at the airport.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:58 pm

Here is the HKG weather from aviationweather.gov.
They only go back 36 hours.
According to Flightradar, AC15 landed HKG 14:53 Dec. 11 or 0653Z

This is the weather 4 hours after the occurrence.
VHHH 111100Z 36015KT CAVOK 17/10 Q1021 NOSIG

Here are weather graphs from Wunderground for Dec. 11.
If the times in the graphs are local, the strongest winds of the day were about the time of touchdown. 15kts from the left.
YYZ often has 15kt crosswinds.
The HKG winds have been out of the north since the occurrence and for several hours before.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
You alluded to it earlier; a lot of us are pilots and/or work at the airport.
Do you know for a fact that poster mellon is a pilot or works at the airport?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Trolls may or may not work at the airport, or may or may not be pilots.
I mean, why fly when one can simply be on the ground and work at the airport?

Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:42 pm

No I don't. But I'm not the one questioning his or her statement. There are a lot of company employees, friends and insiders on this forum; why doubt that a member may have private information on which pilot was flying your AC15 and the overall effectiveness of pilot training programs? I'm far from what could be described as an insider, but I have a lot of friends who are AC pilots. They all express varying levels of satisfaction with initial and recurrency training at their work. With the state of the industry now and looking forward, buckle up for a large influx of comparatively inexperienced pilots winging you across the globe.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Dec 12, 2018 at 6:55 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
There shouldn't be too great a ripple effect on the fleet at this time of the year. If the 77W is still out of service at the Christmas rush and there's domestic backlogs due to IROPS, it might be noticed, but now's the time of year that many planes are scheduled for heavy maintenance, repainting etc. Losing the use of a 77W in July would create a lot more headaches.
An aircraft with its parts strewn over a hanger is even less useful to operations then one scheduled to fly.

A serviceable aircraft could swap up or down, fly more, be a few hours late. A thousand Thesei parts are a week away from being anything.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by mellon
The FO was doing the landing and he was a recent FO, and he moved up from the Embraer I guess he needs a bit more practice.
I thought that the union had pretty strict seniority rules that see pilots and first officers gradually move from smaller to larger aircraft. It seems very strange to me that a recent first officer could go from the smallest aircraft in the fleet directly to the biggest; bypassing seat time on A320 series, 7M8, 767, 333 in his meteoric rise.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
I thought that the union had pretty strict seniority rules that see pilots and first officers gradually move from smaller to larger aircraft. It seems very strange to me that a recent first officer could go from the smallest aircraft in the fleet directly to the biggest; bypassing seat time on A320 series, 7M8, 767, 333 in his meteoric rise.
The strict union rule, is the senior pilots dictates the type and base they want.
If #1 wants right seat E190, then so be it. All be at a reduction in pay.

Many pilots will choose lifestyle over pay.
If you're senior on your type, then you pick your schedule.
Pilots will often not bid to a larger type, until they are high enough on the list for that type to get a decent schedule.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
An aircraft with its parts strewn over a hanger is even less useful to operations then one scheduled to fly.

A serviceable aircraft could swap up or down, fly more, be a few hours late. A thousand Thesei parts are a week away from being anything.
Sure. But the point in question was whether there will be a ripple effect on the fleet due to the unserviceability. My answer was: no.

Originally Posted by The Lev
I thought that the union had pretty strict seniority rules that see pilots and first officers gradually move from smaller to larger aircraft.
Not so. As tracon mentioned, it's strictly based upon seniority within the company, and as we may see in short order, whether the pilot is qualified for the position. AC does not yet hire - but may be forced in future - non-ATPL (Airline Transport) rated commercial pilots. Jazz accepts CPL (Commercial) rated pilots to fly right-seat only. Those lacking an ATPL would not be permitted to captain a two-crew airliner.

Originally Posted by tracon
Many pilots will choose lifestyle over pay.
If you're senior on your type, then you pick your schedule.
Pilots will often not bid to a larger type, until they are high enough on the list for that type to get a decent schedule.
Absolutely. There are many very senior pilots at the Vancouver base that are happily flying smaller aircraft within North America. Sure, they could bid a 777/787 in Toronto, but they've owned a double lot in Kerrisdale since 1987 and are damned if they're gonna move to Barrie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.