Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
AC0535/24DEC EQU ACA7M8A01
CTY TML ARR DEP GRND AIR CABINS J Y
YVR - 0830 - 06.21
OGG 1251 TOTAL TIME YVROGG 6.21
RMKS/HYDROLIC ISSUE AIRBORNE RETURN DUE FIN 502 HYDRAULIC LEAK/
/ DELAYED AWAITING FIRST AVAILABLE AIRCRAFT FIN 517
YVR 0844 00:14L YVR?1444 7M8 GNC AD AA
YVR?1920 10:50L OGG 2330 10:39L 7M8 MTF ED EA
YVR OGG
DEP TML M GATE --/E77
ARR TML GATE --/-----
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:41 pm

$10 meal voucher?! Really?! They're getting in 15 hours late and all AC can come up with is a $10 meal voucher! Talk about XMAS spirit!
This also happens to be precisely the compensation I received from a MLL dragon when my EWR->YUL went MX earlier this year.

It's times like these where a passenger's bill of rights really makes sense!

-James
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by j2simpso
$10 meal voucher?! Really?! They're getting in 15 hours late and all AC can come up with is a $10 meal voucher! Talk about XMAS spirit!
This also happens to be precisely the compensation I received from a MLL dragon when my EWR->YUL went MX earlier this year.

-James
Wouldn't 15 hours after the original flight left be about a 9 hour delay? I wonder if they deliberately did that to make it seem worse?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium

-James
I guess AC feels there's no such thing as bad press.

$10 voucher really makes up for this. Shows that AC values passenger time at about $1 an hour.

It appears the return ogg-yvr was cancelled rather than postponed. Those passengers miss Xmas day with families in Canada and might have had trouble extending or finding hotels in Maui. But, hey, their $10 vouchers would be in USD.

/Unlike EU261,Canada's new/proposed bill of rights specifically excludes aircraft maintenance issues.
//broken plane of this magnitude should = a refund of their ticket and free drinks on the plane.
///those with credit card coverage such as Chase Sapphire Reserve had $500usd per family member to spend. We would have booked a day room near YVR, bought ALOT more than $10 in food/beverage, and stayed at a Maui airport-area hotel (potentially moving Maui resort checkin date to 12/25 to save a ton of $.)

Last edited by expert7700; Dec 25, 2018 at 7:13 am
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver

Passenger Oliver Eger said the ordeal was a “bit irritating” but added “it’s not all bad -- at least we didn’t die.”
Oliver keeps it all in perspective.
cedric and shadowspar like this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
/Unlike EU261,Canada's new/proposed bill of rights specifically excludes aircraft maintenance issues.
//broken plane of this magnitude should = a refund of their ticket and free drinks on the plane.
You got that right! It's a brand spanking new airplane and AC can't figure out how to keep it maintained? Gheesh! If anything the government should penalize airlines more when their planes go mechanical and offer treble damages if the aircraft goes mechanical in the air. Perhaps that would encourage AC not to cut corners to pad their pockets!

Originally Posted by expert7700
///those with credit card coverage such as Chase Sapphire Reserve had $500usd per family member to spend. We would have booked a day room near YVR, bought ALOT more than $10 in food/beverage, and stayed at a Maui airport-area hotel (potentially moving Maui resort checkin date to 12/25 to save a ton of $.)
Which is all fine and good but many don't. The type of people who fly to Hawaii are kettles, and at best, they've got a card that earns them a few AirMiles. It's still frustrating that the best AC could come up with after such a long delay is $10 voucher. Heck, bring the pax into the MLL and have them eat some food and drink some booze... I suspect that'll mean more than a $10 voucher which will get you a 6 inch sub at subway if you're lucky!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:34 am

Which is all fine and good but many don't. The type of people who fly to Hawaii are kettles, and at best, they've got a card that earns them a few AirMiles. It's still frustrating that the best AC could come up with after such a long delay is $10 voucher. Heck, bring the pax into the MLL and have them eat some food and drink some booze... I suspect that'll mean more than a $10 voucher which will get you a 6 inch sub at subway if you're lucky!
What is frustrating is that anyone thinks they are going to get more than $10.

These incidents and articles are not infrequent. Air Canada does not even allow you to buy a ticket direct from them without declining travel insurance.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
What is frustrating is that anyone thinks they are going to get more than $10.

These incidents and articles are not infrequent. Air Canada does not even allow you to buy a ticket direct from them without declining travel insurance.
What would you say is reasonable then if you're stuck at YVR for 9+ hours? Clearly, $10 isn't gonna do it and I'm unsure the extent that OnMyWay or whatever assurance will cover you in these instances (never used that product since *Gold). Also AC shouldn't weasel out of their responsibilities by saying, "Well, you declined travel insurance." I suspect no one in their right mind would expect a brand new bird to go MX over the Pacific!

-James
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Delivered June 2018. She's stil in diapers.

https://www.planespotters.net/production-list/search?fleet=Air-Canada&manufacturer=Boeing&subtype=737-MAX-8&fleetStatus=current

Or, different source

Delivered AC7055/ 03JUL18 BFI-YLW then ferried YLW-YVR03.07.

IS 05JUL18 YVR-YOW

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...4AFZp/pubhtml#

Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
What would you say is reasonable then if you're stuck at YVR for 9+ hours?
-James
James, why are you asking this question? The article says they landed in OGG 15 hours after their planned departure. Let's assume this is correct. It is about a 6 hour flight, which means the successful flight left about 9 hours after the originally scheduled time. When the plane turned back, it looks like they were about half way into their flight. So 3 hours out and 3 hours back. Subtract that from the 9 hours and I would say they were in YVR for about 3 hours, less deplaning and boarding time. Maybe 2 - 2.5 hours. My math is all pretty rough, but 2.5 hours is much closer to reality than 9, based on the provided information.
canadiancow and 5mm like this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:04 pm

What would you say is reasonable then if you're stuck at YVR for 9+ hours?
What would be reasonable is that functioning humans in this situation have enough walking around money to take care of themselves. Be it 9 hours or the more likely <3 hours the PAX had to spend inside, dry, warm and safe.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
You got that right! It's a brand spanking new airplane and AC can't figure out how to keep it maintained? Gheesh! If anything the government should penalize airlines more when their planes go mechanical and offer treble damages if the aircraft goes mechanical in the air. Perhaps that would encourage AC not to cut corners to pad their pockets!

Safe Travels,

James
If that happened to me, I would promptly file a lawsuit in Quebec small claims court against AC to claim $2K compensation under the Montreal convention regulations.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:34 pm
5mm
Suspended

James
I’m guessing you have never bought a new car. New is when problems develop. This has nothing to do with maintenance If anything, it would be Boeing qty control. Every airline has these type of problem with new aircraft.

Last edited by 5mm; Dec 25, 2018 at 1:56 pm
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:51 pm
5mm
Suspended

The type of people who fly to Hawaii are kettles, and at best, they've got a card that earns them a few AirMiles. It's still frustrating that the best AC could come up with after such a long delay is $10 voucher. Heck, bring the pax into the MLL and have them eat some food and drink some booze... I suspect that'll mean more than a $10 voucher which will get you a 6 inch sub at subway if you're lucky!

Safe Travels,

James
As someone goes to Maui 2 to 3x per year, you are complete wrong who travels there. I see more Amex Blk cards there than any other place. Going by the news, pax wait time in YVR was about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I’m thinking a $20 voucher would have been better, which would have been enought to get something to eat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.