Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:55 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MasterGeek

If that happened to me, I would promptly file a lawsuit in Quebec small claims court against AC to claim $2K compensation under the Montreal convention regulations.
If you did that, the only winner would be the lawyers and you would end up paying for both of them.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by 5mm

I’m guessing you have never bought a new car. New is when problems develop. This has nothing to do with maintenance If anything, it would be Boeing qty control. Every airline has these type of problem with new aircraft.
totally spot on, it's a machine, they break!
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
James, why are you asking this question? The article says they landed in OGG 15 hours after their planned departure. Let's assume this is correct. It is about a 6 hour flight, which means the successful flight left about 9 hours after the originally scheduled time. When the plane turned back, it looks like they were about half way into their flight. So 3 hours out and 3 hours back. Subtract that from the 9 hours and I would say they were in YVR for about 3 hours, less deplaning and boarding time. Maybe 2 - 2.5 hours. My math is all pretty rough, but 2.5 hours is much closer to reality than 9, based on the provided information.
So the passengers spent 6 hours on a flight going nowhere, another 2.5 hours waiting to board their backup flight and then another 6 hours to get to Maui. Mind you, to the best of my knowledge AC doesn't serve food in Y to pax so you've got 15 hours of hunger being compensated with $10?! I haven't been to YVR in a while but would be surprised if $10 could stretch that far. I understand the idea that people should carry money/cards for this exact scenario and certainly those going to Hawaii will have extra cash on hand for tipping and what not at the resorts/airport. It still irks me that AC barely did much more than the minimum here.

Originally Posted by 5mm
I’m guessing you have never bought a new car. New is when problems develop. This has nothing to do with maintenance If anything, it would be Boeing qty control. Every airline has these type of problem with new aircraft.
I agree with you on that. It would be one thing if it was something minor like a light. Here we're talking about the hydraulics a critical system in any aeroplane. You would expect Boeing QA engineers would have found this in time.

-James
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:05 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by j2simpso

I agree with you on that. It would be one thing if it was something minor like a light. Here we're talking about the hydraulics a critical system in any aeroplane. You would expect Boeing QA engineers would have found this in time.

-James
Then why did you question AC maintenance.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Neither scary, nor in Winnipeg, but still

Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
AC0794/27DEC EQU ACA320E01
CTY TML ARR DEP GRND AIR CABINS J Y
LAX - 0730 - 04.34
YYZ 1504 TOTAL TIME LAXYYZ 4.34
RMKS/EMER EXIT SHOWING OPEN AIRBORNE RETURN DUE MTC FIN 208 EME
RGENCY DOOR INDICATION ISSUE //PAX DEPLANED FURTHER DLYD DUE HE
AVY WEIGHT LANDING CHECK
LAX 0727 00:03E LAX?0815 320 AD AA
LAX?1020 02:50L YYZ 1806 03:02L 320 MTF AD AA
LAX YYZ
DEP TML 6 GATE --/65A
ARR TML T1 GATE --/-----
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
James, why are you asking this question? The article says they landed in OGG 15 hours after their planned departure. Let's assume this is correct. It is about a 6 hour flight, which means the successful flight left about 9 hours after the originally scheduled time. When the plane turned back, it looks like they were about half way into their flight. So 3 hours out and 3 hours back. Subtract that from the 9 hours and I would say they were in YVR for about 3 hours, less deplaning and boarding time. Maybe 2 - 2.5 hours. My math is all pretty rough, but 2.5 hours is much closer to reality than 9, based on the provided information.
The timing of the replacement aircraft sounds entirely reasonable under the circumstances, and shows competent dispatch operation. Of course, Air Canada still has to shoot itself in the foot by providing a $10 insult voucher. Upping that to $20 would have cost less than $1700 and have saved a lot of bad press. Even $15 would have looked better. Or provide a free hot meal to everyone in Y on the replacement flight. But no - AC must look bad at all costs, even when they handle the mission critical parts of the operation as efficiently as possible.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
The timing of the replacement aircraft sounds entirely reasonable under the circumstances, and shows competent dispatch operation. Of course, Air Canada still has to shoot itself in the foot by providing a $10 insult voucher. Upping that to $20 would have cost less than $1700 and have saved a lot of bad press. Even $15 would have looked better. Or provide a free hot meal to everyone in Y on the replacement flight. But no - AC must look bad at all costs, even when they handle the mission critical parts of the operation as efficiently as possible.
I don't know if a hot meal for everyone is logistically possible. However, we really don't know what they did for those passengers after they left YVR. Just a bunch of folks reading a story and making judgements from their cozy little armchair .
5mm likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
I don't know if a hot meal for everyone is logistically possible.
They fly the planes to LHR. Intercontinental flights include hot meals. Whether the ones they use on the West Coast / Hawaii runs have the capability, I don't know.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
They fly the planes to LHR. Intercontinental flights include hot meals. Whether the ones they use on the West Coast / Hawaii runs have the capability, I don't know.
True (BOB), but I believe @YEG_SE4Life is referring to having catered a hot meal for everyone on board (let alone, a hot meal that satisfies the pax's dietary requirements, if available or remaining)... plus quite often with such delays meals don't necessarily get recatered (and in many such cases, pax would have been served their meals after the initial departure)... anyway, I agree with YEG_SE4Life, that the logistics aren't that simple, but I will defer to an expert to confirm or refute this.

However, I am speaking from experience... flying on a few TATLs and TPACs on AC where we have completed first meal service and then need to head back to YYZ after a few hours in... and on our second departure out of YYZ pax are no longer served "again" as if the first departure never happened. They simply didn't cater a second batch of meals.

Last edited by yyznomad; Dec 28, 2018 at 3:53 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:20 pm

Generally speaking steerage don't get catered meals let alone hot ones on domestic flights to the various states of the US which includes the state of Hawaii and Alaska. Hence, the point I was making - if you're on a flight for 5 hours sans food, then wait at YVR for another 2 1/2 hours, then board another flight to HNL which lasts 5 hours, you could go 12 1/2 hours without food. I don't know about everyone else on the forums, but I suspect I'd feel a bit peckish after that.

-James
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Generally speaking steerage don't get catered meals let alone hot ones on domestic flights to the various states of the US which includes the state of Hawaii and Alaska. Hence, the point I was making - if you're on a flight for 5 hours sans food, then wait at YVR for another 2 1/2 hours, then board another flight to HNL which lasts 5 hours, you could go 12 1/2 hours without food. I don't know about everyone else on the forums, but I suspect I'd feel a bit peckish after that.

-James
They cater BOB hot meals for the NA long hauls.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://calgaryherald.com/business/l...-christmas-eve

Engine failure forces Air Canada flight to return to Calgary on Christmas Eve
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by sweden05
Well this is unfortunate for some passengers on their way to Hawaii for Christmas...
”AC535 Vancouver (YVR) - Kahului (OGG) is returning to Vancouver with a reported hydraulic issue.” It’s a 737 MAX.

Some details

Incident: Canada B38M over Pacific on Dec 24th 2018, hydraulic quantity decreasing

By Simon Hradecky, created Friday, Dec 28th 2018 20:48Z, last updated Friday, Dec 28th 2018 20:48Z

An Air Canada Boeing 737-8 MAX, registration C-FSCY performing flight AC-535 from Vancouver,BC (Canada) to Kahului,HI (USA) with 167 passengers and 6 crew, was enroute over the Pacific Ocean about 2 hours into the flight when the crew noticed the hydraulic quantity A had reduced to 67% and was degrading. The crew consulted with dispatch and maintenance, a decision to continue the flight was reached, the crew should report the situation within an hour again. 30 minutes later the quantity had reduced another percent, and another 30 minutes later the quantity had reduced to 65%. In the following discussion with dispatch and maintenance the decision was made to return to Vancouver. The aircraft landed safely back in Vancouver about 3 hours after the decision to return.

The Canadian TSB reported the operator's maintenance is investigating the causes.

A replacement Boeing 737-8 MAX registration C-FSOC reached Kahului with a delay of about 10 hours.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:32 pm
5mm
Suspended

-James
There was lots of time for someone to buy food in YVR or even buy food on the aircraft during the flight. Getting food is not the issue, who should pay for it is. AC should have given $15 to $20 vouchers instead of the $10 voucher. Aircraft meals just don't show up. They have to be ordered in advance.
D582 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.