Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
There is never a good time to overcontrol an airplane - first flight on type is irrelevant. Not sure if there will be a need for further training, but AC and most other airlines are noticing the effects of comparatively less accumulated experience for their new hires. Note that we have no idea how new to the company the flying pilot is, nor their flying background. As for 'boys will be boys', I failed to notice any reference to gender in the prelim report. You must have some inside info. I also question the implication of the airline cutting corners based upon these incidents. Do we have evidence of inadequate training, procedures or oversight?
To clarify I meant to say "accidents happen" I.e. not a training issue so much as a freak incident. Other than this incident the only other thing which I pointed to earlier was the 2 times AC aircraft have landed on the wrong runway. I'm not am aviation expert by any means but would tell you that once can be chalked up to an accident when it starts happening multiple times you gotta wonder what's going on here. Perhaps someone more familiar with the SFO incidents could chime in here to provide some necessary colour on the topic.

-James
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:43 pm
5mm
Suspended

I'm also surprised there was speculation about the aircraft being 'totalled'. It is, and always was, deemed repairable, and that fact was stated many posts ago. The only question is the length of time required to complete the repairs. There will likely be no need for pavement repairs - concrete usually wins in such incidences of contact.
Plus, aircraft tails. are designed for runway contract. This type of problem may not happen everyday, but it happens weekly. B T W, taking to a CX pilot yesterday over dinner, the AC aircraft in question is waiting for parts for the repair to start. He thinks the AC pilot just had bad luck with the crosswinds that day.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
And kinda scary when you think about what was in contact.
I think it could have become scary had they decided to go around after contact. The empennage would have probably remained attached...but few of us feel ok with 'probably' in aviation.

Originally Posted by smallmj
I think this came from the "unserviceable" part of the report mentioned recently. There was a bit of confusion.
Ah, that makes sense. To me, 'unserviceable' simply means the former of your definitions.

Originally Posted by j2simpso
To clarify I meant to say "accidents happen" I.e. not a training issue so much as a freak incident. Other than this incident the only other thing which I pointed to earlier was the 2 times AC aircraft have landed on the wrong runway. I'm not am aviation expert by any means but would tell you that once can be chalked up to an accident when it starts happening multiple times you gotta wonder what's going on here. Perhaps someone more familiar with the SFO incidents could chime in here to provide some necessary colour on the topic.
To be fair (does anybody else hear 'Letterkenny' when that phrase is uttered?), the three incidents are unrelated in terms of what happened. The only common aspects of the SFO shenanigans were the type of airplane and place of occurrence. One plane nearly landed on the wrong surface (failed to check NOTAMs and resolve contradicting visual & cockpit information). One plane landed after having been instructed not to (failed to remain on correct radio frequency). The HKG plane landed on the correct surface while following appropriate instructions - they simply botched the job.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by 5mm
Plus, aircraft tails. are designed for runway contract.
No, they are not.

Originally Posted by 5mm
This type of problem may not happen everyday, but it happens weekly.
No, it does not.

Originally Posted by 5mm
B T W, taking to a CX pilot yesterday over dinner, the AC aircraft in question is waiting for parts for the repair to start. He thinks the AC pilot just had bad luck with the crosswinds that day.
Bad luck? The pilot reacted poorly to a common occurrence. Professional aviating is not a roll-the-dice endeavour.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:53 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by 5mm

That I did not know.

But upon reflection, it makes sense.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by 24left

I'll assume AC's insurance company, any investigators and of course Boeing, have the knowledge and experience to decide if this "substantial damage" affects FIN 733's airworthiness.
I read Qantas 'repaired" a plane one time rather than write it off, even though it was more expensive. However no idea if its true. However With AC problems right now they might just do the same thing.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 11, 2019 at 11:08 pm Reason: off topic
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Perhaps AC will ask the people who fly the 777 into HKG to spend an afternoon in the sim getting crosswinds thrown at them to try to learn (or confirm that know) how to handle this specific situation at this specific airport.

That's the best one can hope for out of a near miss. Use it as a learning opportunity.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by ffsim

Just catching up on FT after a while away and stumbled across this... if this is indeed a CBSA requirement, someone forgot to tell the folks handling our flight. I’m sitting comfortably in the YUL TB after our US-bound plane returned to the gate for a MX problem. We were guided directly to the gate area — not the passage that leads to Canadian customs — and sat there a while waiting for news. We were given meal vouchers, a new departure time, and allowed to wander the TB section of the terminal at will.
Logically, unless the aircraft had the doors open in some not-precleared location, the A/C and its PAX remained securely pre-cleared. An A/C returning to a precleared gate would happen sufficiently often that it would be allowed for in the regulations.
ffsim likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
For those unfamiliar with airline pilot progression, there is always a first flight on any given type of aircraft, and more often than not, it occurs with a full load of passengers in the back. The realism of the flight simulators is such that for most pilots, flying it vs a real plane is indistinguishable. There are peculiarities associated with most airports, and amongst the pilots I'm most familiar with (good friend is CX 77W captain and cousin is a GV captain - both based there) HKG is not considered particularly challenging from a weather* & terrain perspective. The stated wind in the report suggests benign flying conditions.

More to the point, flying a aircraft designed for commercial (passenger) use, well maintained and fully functional, and of any size, under clear weather conditions is "easy". The simulators deal with issues of mechanical or weather problems and how a particular type deals with them.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by ffsim

Just catching up on FT after a while away and stumbled across this... if this is indeed a CBSA requirement, someone forgot to tell the folks handling our flight. I’m sitting comfortably in the YUL TB after our US-bound plane returned to the gate for a MX problem. We were guided directly to the gate area — not the passage that leads to Canadian customs — and sat there a while waiting for news. We were given meal vouchers, a new departure time, and allowed to wander the TB section of the terminal at will.
...could've been worse, you could have returned to the TB terminal at YOW. I hear that's where the US sends detainees after Guantanamo is full

-James
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Logically, unless the aircraft had the doors open in some not-precleared location, the A/C and its PAX remained securely pre-cleared. An A/C returning to a precleared gate would happen sufficiently often that it would be allowed for in the regulations.
My understanding has always been if the aircraft is still on the ground and returns directly to the gate, you can deplane back into the terminal you left from. Once it takes off, if it returns then you need to go through customs/immigration.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by D582

My understanding has always been if the aircraft is still on the ground and returns directly to the gate, you can deplane back into the terminal you left from. Once it takes off, if it returns then you need to go through customs/immigration.
I don't know what is true/false/rule/law/bible/etc. but from my own experiences (having to come back to the departure airport) flying TATLs and TPACs ex-YYZ, I've never had to do that after a few hours in the air and back to international departures. I simply went back to the international MLL and waited.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyznomad

I don't know what is true/false/rule/law/bible/etc. but from my own experiences (having to come back to the departure airport) flying TATLs and TPACs ex-YYZ, I've never had to do that after a few hours in the air and back to international departures. I simply went back to the international MLL and waited.
Sorry I meant for pre-cleared TB flights. But I could be totally wrong
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by 24left
Well, this interesting.

Hong Kong SAR

Air Accident investigation Authority

Preliminary Report
Boeing 777-333ER
C-FITW
11 December 2018
ARC: Abnormal Runway Contact

https://www.thb.gov.hk/aaia/doc/Airc...%201-2019e.pdf

"Aircraft Damage: Substantial"

"The aircraft is currently unserviceable"

"The First Officer (FO) was the Pilot-Flying from the Top of Descent"

And similar to what I wrote in posts about my experience at landing.

QUOTE:

"At approximately 200 feet above the runway while continuing to descend to the touch down point the aircraft entered into series of minor lateral roll deviations followed by a pronounced roll first to the left and then to the right, the Pilot-Flying introduced large control inputs into the aircraft to control the sudden and unanticipated roll behaviour.

The aircraft was not wings level at the touchdown point as it was rolling to the right. On touchdown the right-hand main gear contacted the runway first.

With a high rate of descent in conjunction with a nose high pitch attitude, the underside of the rear fuselage contacted the runway surface during the hard landing, the aircraft then bounced before returning to the runway centreline. "
A bit late to the discussion, as I just finished reading the report.

On on the second page of the PDF, under Aircraft details, Type of engines, it stated GEnx-1B67. It’s supposed to be GE90-115B?!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:33 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by 5mm
No, they are not.
What about A320 nose cones?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.