Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Stranger
Except, a leaky door won't be unsafe at all until the pressure difference becomes significant. Should not be an issue if they immediately turn around and land. BTW nothing is ever 100% safe. And a rejected takeoff for sure entails greater risks than going around and landing with a leaky door.Anyway, my point really is that there must have been more to this story than a leaky door.
Someone with greater knowledge of the limits of a 7M8 would need to do the math, however my suspicion is that a reasonably full aircraft flying from PSP-YYZ would probably take off well above its maximum landing weight, so in this scenario the captain flies the plane with a suspect door while they dump fuel or they land an overweight aircraft - both of those carry risks.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Lev
Someone with greater knowledge of the limits of a 7M8 would need to do the math, however my suspicion is that a reasonably full aircraft flying from PSP-YYZ would probably take off well above its maximum landing weight, so in this scenario the captain flies the plane with a suspect door while they dump fuel or they land an overweight aircraft - both of those carry risks.
Second indeed would. First not so sure if indeed they can dump fuel. But is the 7M8 set up to dump fuel at all? So yes, you might make a good point. Still does not explain why a door indication would only show up during takeoff roll though.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:38 pm

Second indeed would. First not so sure if indeed they can dump fuel. But is the 7M8 set up to dump fuel at all? So yes, you might make a good point. Still does not explain why a door indication would only show up during takeoff roll though.
As per Boeing, the answer is no, the 737 MAX Series does not have the capability to jettison fuel. Looking at the document I linked, it is surprising how many airliners Boeing has that don't have that functionality! Equally so considering the 737 MAX is now doing TATL flights (I just did one from SWF to EDI)!

-James
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso
The key question here is: will the NTSB be investigating this incident or is this considered a minor glitch?
Upon further investigation, it seems like most if not all NTSB investigations and hearings are suspended during the furlough including fatal accidents. The report mentions that any accidents are being investigated on a case by case basis if they feel there is an imminent safety risk. However, after the furlough is over, investigators will resume their investigative capability, exploring incidents that occurred during the furlough. Hence, this AC flight will likely be investigated, although we won't know the facts for some time. Details on the impact of the 2013 furlough can be found at this NTSB news release.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
As per Boeing, the answer is no, the 737 MAX Series does not have the capability to jettison fuel. Looking at the document I linked, it is surprising how many airliners Boeing has that don't have that functionality! Equally so considering the 737 MAX is now doing TATL flights (I just did one from SWF to EDI)!

-James
Its not only Boeing. Airbus narrowbodies can't dump fuel either. Heck, even on the A330 the fuel dump equipment is an option.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I can't believe how many posts it took before someone pointed this out
Because, as Stranger mentioned below your post, it was a faulty analysis.

And surely a high speed rejected takeoff (even if below V1) is one of the least safe one might encounter.
No, not really. It's pretty straightforward, despite the drama experienced by passengers.

Originally Posted by The Lev
...so in this scenario the captain flies the plane with a suspect door while they dump fuel or they land an overweight aircraft - both of those carry risks.
I'd say with confidence that flying with a suspect door is more risky and contains more of the 'unknown' element. It's important to note that "landing overweight and fuel jettisoning are both considered safe procedures: there are no accidents on record attributed to either cause" as per https://www.boeing.com/commercial/ae...7_article3.pdf
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Because, as Stranger mentioned below your post, it was a faulty analysis.
"Faulty" is a bit of a strong word. Only one of a number of possibilities, just not the only one.
I'd say with confidence that flying with a suspect door is more risky and contains more of the 'unknown' element. It's important to note that "landing overweight and fuel jettisoning are both considered safe procedures: there are no accidents on record attributed to either cause" as per https://www.boeing.com/commercial/ae...7_article3.pdf
I would disagree with the first part on its own, as long as they don't go high enough for the pressure difference to build up. However, that would entil landing overweight, which safetywise is probably comparable with rejecting takeoff. Both scenarios entail very hard braking. Which may be relatively safe. And repeating myself, nothing is "safe." there are always risks, and the question is always, what entails less risks, and what risk is taken as being acceptable. With the latter depending upon the circumstances, and the alternatives. Hard breaking may result in losing direction control and veering sideway. Or heating up the brakes to the point of starting a fire. There is a reason why they get fire trucks to line up when landing heavy or faster than normal. And surely the only reason they don't get the same when rejecting a takeoff is that there is no time. But they still get the brakes inspectted ASAP, to lower the risk of fire, and reduce the time until a potential fire is dealt with.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:24 pm

Was there any indication on the Palm Springs incident as to which runway the aircraft was cleared to take off from? Palm Springs has two runways one with 10,000 ft and the other with 4,952 ft. If it happens to be the former, then an argument could be made that they had ample room to brake.

-James
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Was there any indication on the Palm Springs incident as to which runway the aircraft was cleared to take off from? Palm Springs has two runways one with 10,000 ft and the other with 4,952 ft. If it happens to be the former, then an argument could be made that they had ample room to brake.

-James
Not so simple. Remember, they minimize fuel consumption based upon conditions (load, temperature etc.) including runway length. On a longer runway, the accelerate less.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:28 pm

Not so simple. Remember, they minimize fuel consumption based upon conditions (load, temperature etc.) including runway length. On a longer runway, the accelerate less.
Which would also give the pilots more time to react since it takes them longer to get to V1!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Which would also give the pilots more time to react since it takes them longer to get to V1!
However that brings me back to my question: when did the door indication come up/when was it noticed? Normally it's not during takeoff...
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 28isGreat
I'd be curious if the cockpit systems clearly separate between "things for which you should stop now [if before V1]" vs. "things for which you should continue".
Yes, there is a system.

(S)he's sitting in the left seat.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
V1 is V1. If it wasn't safe to abort the take off at that speed then V1 under those conditions would be lower.

Not being in the air is going to be safer than being in the air. For the aircraft, the passengers, and anyone on the ground who could be hit by anything from, I don't know, lose doors falling off, or the entire subject aircraft with possible control problems having to do something more complex than "slowing down".
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RangerNS
V1 is V1. If it wasn't safe to abort the take off at that speed then V1 under those conditions would be lower.
That statement makes little sense. Being a bit above V1 is a little bit less safe than below. V1 is some value more or less arbitrarily selected as being an acceptable limit. In other words, more or less pulled off someone's hat, on the basis of it being reasonable. Keeping odds within a "reasonable" margin.
Not being in the air is going to be safer than being in the air. For the aircraft, the passengers, and anyone on the ground who could be hit by anything from, I don't know, lose doors falling off, or the entire subject aircraft with possible control problems having to do something more complex than "slowing down".
No. First, as long as there is no pressure difference, a door likely won't open on its own. And if it does, it likely won't do much apart from being there open. I cannot imagine that alone being more dangerous than a near V! rejected takeoff.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
That statement makes little sense. Being a bit above V1 is a little bit less safe than below. V1 is some value more or less arbitrarily selected as being an acceptable limit. In other words, more or less pulled off someone's hat, on the basis of it being reasonable. Keeping odds within a "reasonable" margin.
So it's useless? I'm sure there is a safety margin settled on by at least an engineering intern and extrapolating from a single sample. Or maybe had some solid engineering study go itnto it.

No. First, as long as there is no pressure difference, a door likely won't open on its own. And if it does, it likely won't do much apart from being there open. I cannot imagine that alone being more dangerous than a near V! rejected takeoff.

Unless there are two lights: "door not sealed but is ok" and "door broken and likely to fall off" then the first light means the second light.

​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.