Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

My, my. After a number of post deletions I'll remind a few posters that this isn't the Argument Clinic but the Master AC Incidents Thread so let's please end the personal invective and return to discussing AC incidents and not each other.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Well, this interesting.

Hong Kong SAR

Air Accident investigation Authority

Preliminary Report
Boeing 777-333ER
C-FITW
11 December 2018
ARC: Abnormal Runway Contact

https://www.thb.gov.hk/aaia/doc/Airc...%201-2019e.pdf

"Aircraft Damage: Substantial"

"The aircraft is currently unserviceable"

"The First Officer (FO) was the Pilot-Flying from the Top of Descent"

And similar to what I wrote in posts about my experience at landing.

QUOTE:

"At approximately 200 feet above the runway while continuing to descend to the touch down point the aircraft entered into series of minor lateral roll deviations followed by a pronounced roll first to the left and then to the right, the Pilot-Flying introduced large control inputs into the aircraft to control the sudden and unanticipated roll behaviour.

The aircraft was not wings level at the touchdown point as it was rolling to the right. On touchdown the right-hand main gear contacted the runway first.

With a high rate of descent in conjunction with a nose high pitch attitude, the underside of the rear fuselage contacted the runway surface during the hard landing, the aircraft then bounced before returning to the runway centreline. "
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Well, this interesting.

Hong Kong SAR

Air Accident investigation Authority

Preliminary Report
Boeing 777-333ER
C-FITW
11 December 2018
ARC: Abnormal Runway Contact

https://www.thb.gov.hk/aaia/doc/Airc...%201-2019e.pdf

"Aircraft Damage: Substantial"

"The aircraft is currently unserviceable"

"The First Officer (FO) was the Pilot-Flying from the Top of Descent"

And similar to what I wrote in posts about my experience at landing.

QUOTE:

"At approximately 200 feet above the runway while continuing to descend to the touch down point the aircraft entered into series of minor lateral roll deviations followed by a pronounced roll first to the left and then to the right, the Pilot-Flying introduced large control inputs into the aircraft to control the sudden and unanticipated roll behaviour.

The aircraft was not wings level at the touchdown point as it was rolling to the right. On touchdown the right-hand main gear contacted the runway first.

With a high rate of descent in conjunction with a nose high pitch attitude, the underside of the rear fuselage contacted the runway surface during the hard landing, the aircraft then bounced before returning to the runway centreline. "
The FO had recently been qualified on the B777, receiving the B777 aircraft type rating on 6 December 2018.

This flight was the first B777 operating flight for the FO, the first actual landing of a B777 outside of a B777 Level D flight simulator and the first arrival into Hong Kong as an operating crew member.
The plot thickens! Skimming the report it seems like a combination of weather and inexperience of the FO landing the plane were to blame on this one. In particular I'm surprised that this was the first actual flight the FO was on for that aircraft and the first time they've landed at HKG. From what I hear and have experienced first hand, while not as dangerous as good ol' Kai Tak, Chep Lap Kok is not the easiest approach either thanks to the often windy conditions and terrain risks. If anything AC should've had the FO try simpler low-risk approaches on the 777 like SFO or YYZ.

Combine this event and the two runway incursions at SFO and you've got to wonder whether AC is having a pilot rostering issue.

Out of curiosity what does substantial damage and the aircraft is currently unserviceable mean? Does that mean the aircraft is totalled? If so, I'm surprised AC didn't pass out celebratory cake and champagne to mark the end of their yellow stripe service

Safe Travels,

James

Last edited by FlyerTalker70; Jan 10, 2019 at 8:21 pm Reason: Apparently pilots don't thicken after they land an aircraft :p
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Out of curiosity what does substantial damage and the aircraft is currently unserviceable mean? Does that mean the aircraft is totalled? If so, I'm surprised AC didn't pass out celebratory cake and champagne to mark the end of their yellow stripe service
Upon reading the report more carefully I noticed the following:

[img]blob:https://www.flyertalk.com/bb31623f-9...c-bb17ac0b7816
The aircraft is currently unserviceable and is undergoing a major repair process to rectify[img]blob:https://www.flyertalk.com/d7135c6a-2...4-570f7da42021
the lower fuselage damage prior to a return to operational service.
Seems like the damage whilst significant has been deemed repairable by AC. Who knows how long it'll take before that bird flies again but the next concern should be safety as @24left pointed out at the last D0. Improperly repaired fuselages have caused major incidents
Safe Travels,

James

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 10, 2019 at 9:17 pm Reason: off topic
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
If these findings are upheld, would AC be liable to HKG for runway resurfacing costs following their "abnormal contact" with the pavement?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Upon reading the report more carefully I noticed the following:

Seems like the damage whilst significant has been deemed repairable by AC. Who knows how long it'll take before that bird flies again but the next concern should be safety as @24left pointed out at the last D0. Improperly repaired fuselages have caused major incidents

Safe Travels,

James
To be clear, my comments at the Do were part of our group discussion on aircraft repairs. I had mentioned reading about a couple of accidents at other airlines that occurred years after major damage from a tail strike. I also commented on my conversations with a number of Boeing engineers I met in NRT who explained that they were there to check and certify ANA aircraft that had damage and had been repaired.

I'll assume AC's insurance company, any investigators and of course Boeing, have the knowledge and experience to decide if this "substantial damage" affects FIN 733's airworthiness.

Others on this forum who work in the aircraft business have more professional knowledge.

P.S. The same friend at HKIA who provided me with the Dec 30, 2018 photo of FIN 733 at the Haeco facility, sent me another photo recently and based on his viewing position, it appears she may have been painted all white, that is, had the AC livery removed. I have the photo but neither of us can confirm if it's the AC aircraft.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 10, 2019 at 9:18 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:25 am

P.S. The same friend at HKIA who provided me with the Dec 30, 2018 photo of FIN 733 at the Haeco facility, sent me another photo recently and based on his viewing position, it appears she may have been painted all white, that is, had the AC livery removed. I have the photo but neither of us can confirm if it's the AC aircraft.
If true that would seem to imply that AC has decided to sell it (presumably) deeming it to be not worth the hassle of repair. One thing I'm a bit concerned about is the FO, certainly not the best impression to make on your first flight on the 777. What happens to them? Do they go back to the simulator/training or does AC chalk this one up to "boys will be boys"? In any event, I suspect AC should review their training/rostering since recent events seem to suggest that AC might be cutting corners somewhere.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:02 am
Suspended

Friend at HKIA just sent this photo. Taken 4 minutes ago. Here she is with her AC livery.

And he said a flock of UA birds keeping her company. lol

Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: air miles
First real flight on the 777. First flight into this airport. Talk about setting someone up for failure.

who thought this was a good idea?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:09 am

Friend at HKIA just sent this photo. Taken 4 minutes ago. Here she is with her AC livery.

And he said a flock of UA birds keeping her company. lol

They're just consoling her for her deflated pods

-James
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:13 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
First real flight on the 777. First flight into this airport. Talk about setting someone up for failure.

who thought this was a good idea?
By definition, there always has to be a first flight. But that's what training is for.

This airport can be tricky on approach but lots of other pilots have done this for the first time in the past too.

When the final report comes out no doubt there will be a lot of small, cascading issues listed as causing this outcome.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
When the final report comes out no doubt there will be a lot of small, cascading issues listed as causing this outcome.
AKA the Swiss Cheese Model of Accident Causation. Sometimes enough holes line up and stuff like this happens.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
For those unfamiliar with airline pilot progression, there is always a first flight on any given type of aircraft, and more often than not, it occurs with a full load of passengers in the back. The realism of the flight simulators is such that for most pilots, flying it vs a real plane is indistinguishable. There are peculiarities associated with most airports, and amongst the pilots I'm most familiar with (good friend is CX 77W captain and cousin is a GV captain - both based there) HKG is not considered particularly challenging from a weather* & terrain perspective. The stated wind in the report suggests benign flying conditions.

*typhoon season notwithstanding

I'm also surprised there was speculation about the aircraft being 'totalled'. It is, and always was, deemed repairable, and that fact was stated many posts ago. The only question is the length of time required to complete the repairs. There will likely be no need for pavement repairs - concrete usually wins in such incidences of contact.

One thing I'm a bit concerned about is the FO, certainly not the best impression to make on your first flight on the 777. What happens to them? Do they go back to the simulator/training or does AC chalk this one up to "boys will be boys"? In any event, I suspect AC should review their training/rostering since recent events seem to suggest that AC might be cutting corners somewhere.
There is never a good time to overcontrol an airplane - first flight on type is irrelevant. Not sure if there will be a need for further training, but AC and most other airlines are noticing the effects of comparatively less accumulated experience for their new hires. Note that we have no idea how new to the company the flying pilot is, nor their flying background. As for 'boys will be boys', I failed to notice any reference to gender in the prelim report. You must have some inside info. I also question the implication of the airline cutting corners based upon these incidents. Do we have evidence of inadequate training, procedures or oversight?
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:23 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
...concrete usually wins in such incidences of contact.
Very succinct and no doubt very true. And kinda scary when you think about what was in contact.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I'm also surprised there was speculation about the aircraft being 'totalled'. It is, and always was, deemed repairable, and that fact was stated many posts ago. The only question is the length of time required to complete the repairs.
I think this came from the "unserviceable" part of the report mentioned recently. There was a bit of confusion.

unserviceable = needs repairs before returning to service
unserviceable ≠ will never be serviceable again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.