Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm
There was lots of time for someone to buy food in YVR or even buy food on the aircraft during the flight. Getting food is not the issue, who should pay for it is. AC should have given $15 to $20 vouchers instead of the $10 voucher. Aircraft meals just don't show up. They have to be ordered in advance.
Agreed with that. The only qualm I really have with that story is the absolute stinginess of handing out a $10 voucher. Granted, it's been a while since I've been at YVR, so maybe prices are different, but I doubt $10 will get you much, particularly on the TB side of the airport - I'm guessing when they deplaned they were kept on TB side?

-James
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Agreed with that. The only qualm I really have with that story is the absolute stinginess of handing out a $10 voucher. Granted, it's been a while since I've been at YVR, so maybe prices are different, but I doubt $10 will get you much, particularly on the TB side of the airport - I'm guessing when they deplaned they were kept on TB side?
$10 isn't designed to pay for a meal. $10 is designed to be the delta in price of a meal you would otherwise need to buy and the price of meals in an airport.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
5mm
Suspended

-James
It will get you Tim Hortons or Burger King. Anything sit down will cost you more. The $10 voucher sounds bad, but as someone said earlier, we do not know what/if AC also offered. The $10 voucher could have been the icing on the cake, but that doesn't make a new story.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by RangerNS
$10 isn't designed to pay for a meal. $10 is designed to be the delta in price of a meal you would otherwise need to buy and the price of meals in an airport.
Are you implying that airport food costs more than food outside the environs of the terminal? In YVR, lease agreements require that vendors are required to charge no more than street pricing. So Tim's, Burger King or any other food provider can't charge you more within the airport than they do in their franchise locations elsewhere.

That may change in the next round of lease negotiations, but it's the policy now and has been for many years.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA, AC

-James
I'm curious as to where the report of $10 compensation originated. Was it from an FTer (which I would consider reliable) or from a media source such as CBC (which I wouldn't).

As it happens, I was on that flight. And I was compensated well north of $500. Still very poor compensation for having to spend 14 hours in one day sitting in an AC 7M8 seat. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.

No, we were not kept on the TB side. All pax had to clear Canadian Customs and repeat security and preclearance.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by After Burner
I'm curious as to where the report of $10 compensation originated. Was it from an FTer (which I would consider reliable) or from a media source such as CBC (which I wouldn't).
See linked article in post 3692.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...l#post30571775
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Are you implying that airport food costs more than food outside the environs of the terminal? In YVR, lease agreements require that vendors are required to charge no more than street pricing. So Tim's, Burger King or any other food provider can't charge you more within the airport than they do in their franchise locations elsewhere.

That may change in the next round of lease negotiations, but it's the policy now and has been for many years.
It certainly costs more than food at home, or food made in a hotel kitchenette.

As far as any given brand not costing more than that brand does outside of an airport? I don't believe you. And/or, I would not necessarily want to purchase food at a $10/meal fast food place, and the randomly branded sit-down places for sure cost more than random sit-down places anywhere else.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*

As it happens, I was on that flight. And I was compensated well north of $500. Still very poor compensation for having to spend 14 hours in one day sitting in an AC 7M8 seat. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.

No, we were not kept on the TB side. All pax had to clear Canadian Customs and repeat security and preclearance.
Nice to finally have an in-flight source. I had always assumed the voucher was designed only to meet the immediate need of getting calories into the customer.

It was all a massive inconvenience but the right decision was made to return. PAX reached their destination with $500-$600 compensation in the pocket.

Properly handled, poorly reported.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite

This is an excellent example to show how we can't base our opinions strictly on the sensationalism of selling news stories!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
This is an excellent example to show how we can't base our opinions strictly on the sensationalism of selling news stories!
Ya but they were stuck on the tarmac for NEARLY 3 YEARS
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:23 pm

Fuel spill on the ramp at Halifax Int’l Airport. ARFF on scene. Occurred while fueling Air Canada #AC860 to London. Flight delayed; can’t be loaded until fuel cleaned up. Ground crews staying clear.
AC0860/29DEC EQU ACA7M8P01
CTY TML ARR DEP GRND AIR CABINS O Y
YHZ - 2105 - 06.05
LHR 0710*1 TOTAL TIME YHZLHR 6.05
RMKS/FIN 504 DLYD AWAITING LATE INB AC618 DUE TO MEDICAL ON INB
CAUSING LATE TOW FURTHER DLYD DUE TO FUEL SPILL
YHZ 2215 01:10L LHR 0816 01:06L 7M8 ANF ED EA
DEP TML GATE --/26
ARR TML 2 GATE --/-----
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Here she is, my little Fin 733, an hour ago at the HKIA HAECO facility.

I hope she is getting the care and attention she needs and at least she's not alone there.

Photo taken by a friend at 9:56am Sunday December 30, 2018.

Last edited by 24left; Dec 29, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:38 am

Did they stick the tail of fin 733 on a United body?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots

Did every passenger receive $500+ in compensation? Was it offered proactively or did you have to ask for it ? Was it cash or a voucher ?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: AC E50K

I'm the one who posted the article. I saw it show up on my Apple News feed and decided to post it since the flight was being discussed already. It looks like the article has since been updated too:

A spokesperson from Air Canada told CTVNews.ca in an email that “passengers were given discount for future travel, free meals on board and there was also a special buffet meal at the gate while they were waiting to board the aircraft.”
Glad to hear you got compensated and pax were treated well for an unfortunate delay over the holidays .

Last edited by C-FMWQ; Dec 30, 2018 at 8:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.