Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

and

Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Clearly, the Palm Springs passengers had the good sense to reject a flight in a 737 Max.
eigenvector and FlyerTalker70 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rejecting takeoff for an entry door issue seems odd. Why not complete the takeoff and then land? Shouldn't be an issue until higher elevation.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Rejecting takeoff for an entry door issue seems odd. Why not complete the takeoff and then land? Shouldn't be an issue until higher elevation.
Disclaimer: not a 737 pilot, so can't profess to be an expert.

Becoming airborne with a critical item such as an exterior door potentially not correctly latched seems to be a highly risky manoeuvre. The terrain surrounding Palm Springs rapidly rises to above 10,000 feet; if the airplane had to climb higher - depending on the SID used, etc - you could be faced with a serious pressure imbalance, endangering airplane and occupants. Given that the airplane had not yet reached V1 (the speed beyond which it's unsafe to stop on the remaining runway surface), it's infinitely less risky to stop on the ground. The worst-case designed outcome is some burst tires if the tire plugs exceed their temp limits from exposure to hot brakes. I'm unfamiliar with what the aircraft manual states in terms of which fault indications require an aborted takeoff below V1 - 'unsafe door' may be one of them. If not, it required some pretty fast decision-making.
The plane could technically lift off and do a low-level VFR circuit around the valley and come in for a landing. Doing so is contrary to the pilots' pre-departure briefing and exposes them to more risk due to non-standard procedures than by simply stopping and fixing the problem before it actually becomes a problem.

No second-guessing from me on this one - it seems like the correct call to this armchair flyer.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:41 pm

Oh I don't know, having a dozen of so passengers get sucked out of the cabin? I would hazard to guess that a small percentage of passengers would not have their seatbelt fastened. It's also likely that a small number of passengers would have unsecured items to say nothing of the cabin crew that may have unsecured service items (again in theory none of that should happen but in practice how can we be so sure?)

Need I remind everyone of the disastrous WN flight last year where a small break in the fuselage caused by a minor engine failure literally sucked a passenger out of the cabin and killed them?

From the standpoint of the pilots, they are free and are instructed to stomp on those breaks at any point up to V1 speed when cruising down the runway. I suspect this indicator came on somewhere between taxiing from the gate to getting to V1. Clearly they made the right choice here, the aircraft stopped safely and no one on board is injured. I'm unsure what else the pilots could have done to make the experience better other than perhaps handing out Krug or DOM in the cabin The important question to ask is: "Was the door unlocked indicator overlooked by the pilots?" If yes, then there's clear a training/fatigue issue to deal with. If no, then that points to a potentially faulty piece of hardware. Neither of which are particularly confidence inspiring.

The key question here is: will the NTSB be investigating this incident or is this considered a minor glitch?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Oh I don't know, having a dozen of so passengers get sucked out of the cabin? I would hazard to guess that a small percentage of passengers would not have their seatbelt fastened. It's also likely that a small number of passengers would have unsecured items to say nothing of the cabin crew that may have unsecured service items (again in theory none of that should happen but in practice how can we be so sure?)
None of which would happen until reaching a significantly higher altitude.In contrast, a rejected takeoff is somewhat scary.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:52 pm

None of which would happen until reaching a significantly higher altitude.In contrast, a rejected takeoff is somewhat scary.
It may be **scary** but so long as it is at or below V1 it's 100% safe. The airlines and aircraft manufacturers have built so many redundant systems and margin of error into error that pilots can be confident that anything before or at V1 is safe to stomp the brakes on. As others have pointed, if you give the pilot the choice of being safe on the ground or not so safe in the sky, they'll choose the ground 10 times out of 8!

-James
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It may be **scary** but so long as it is at or below V1 it's 100% safe. The airlines and aircraft manufacturers have built so many redundant systems and margin of error into error that pilots can be confident that anything before or at V1 is safe to stomp the brakes on. As others have pointed, if you give the pilot the choice of being safe on the ground or not so safe in the sky, they'll choose the ground 10 times out of 8!

-James
Except, a leaky door won't be unsafe at all until the pressure difference becomes significant. Should not be an issue if they immediately turn around and land. BTW nothing is ever 100% safe. And a rejected takeoff for sure entails greater risks than going around and landing with a leaky door.Anyway, my point really is that there must have been more to this story than a leaky door.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:13 pm

Except, a leaky door won't be unsafe at all until the pressure difference becomes significant. Should not be an issue if they immediately turn around and land. BTW nothing is ever 100% safe. And a rejected takeoff for sure entails greater risks than going around and landing with a leaky door.Anyway, my point really is that there must have been more to this story than a leaky door.
How do we know that? It may have been way more than leaky! From the standpoint of the crew revving the engines and seeing that fault light come on it could also mean any number of things including up to and including the door is ajar! Think about it from their standpoint: they taxi from the gate, no lights come on, everything is a-ok then all of a sudden as they are surging down the runway a door light comes on. At that split second will they be able to open the cockpit door and inspect or ask the FA is everything is ok? We are talking about split second decisions where the crew doesn't have complete information. It could be something minor like a latch, heck it could be a sensor malfunction making this whole thing a real nothing burger, but you won't know till after the fact!

-James
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:18 pm
5mm
Suspended

James
It would be impossible for anyone or anything to be sucked out at any altitude. With a door opened before the cabin was pressurized, the aircraft would not pressurize, simple math says that there can be no decompression.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm
It would be impossible for anyone or anything to be sucked out at any altitude. With a door opened before the cabin was pressurized, the aircraft would not pressurize, simple math says that there can be no decompression.
Fair enough, but you can't tell me that it's safe and given the other option is to safely (albeit **scarily**) come to a screeching halt on the runway, I would still choose the latter. If the circumstances were different (i.e. VR) and we don't know the full circumstances yet - we're just speculating then yes, the correct thing is to take off and quickly turn around and land. Again it's completely unclear whether an NTSB investigation will occur surrounding this. Even if one is warranted it may be months or even years before we find out more given the current US shutdown.

-James
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 5mm
I can't believe how many posts it took before someone pointed this out
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I can't believe how many posts it took before someone pointed this out
Actually it could be more complicated than that. That assumes a large leak. But you could have a door that's not properly locked, but initially holds (at least more or less) and eventually when the pressure difference gets large enough, suddenly gives up.But anyway, I don't see that either scenario justifies a rejected takeoff, except perhaps if still at a fairly low speed. Which might or might not have been the case. Probably not, since brakes needed an inspection.The other question being, how come the door indication was only noticed or only came up during takeoff rather than earlier?I continue suspecting the issue was something else.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:36 pm

I'd be curious if the cockpit systems clearly separate between "things for which you should stop now [if before V1]" vs. "things for which you should continue". Presuming the warning popped up only during takeoff roll... if you're anywhere close to V1, there's no time for any actual analysis. Stop now and deal with known variables on the ground (hot brakes with a fire department ready to help) vs. continuing takeoff with unknown variables.

An emergency stop is jarring to the passengers, I'm sure (to be fair, I haven't experienced one), but it's a safe, well-known, rehearsed thing. Kinda like (er, most) go-arounds -- noisy, surprising, but a perfectly safe thing to do.
wrp96 and canadiancow like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 28isGreat

An emergency stop is jarring to the passengers, I'm sure (to be fair, I haven't experienced one), but it's a safe, well-known, rehearsed thing. Kinda like (er, most) go-arounds -- noisy, surprising, but a perfectly safe thing to do.
Nothing is "perfectly safe."And surely a high speed rejected takeoff (even if below V1) is one of the least safe one might encounter. Even if it's deemed to be "safe."I suspect we have not really heard the last word of this story. Must have been something else than a door indication. Plus, a door indication would in all likelihood have occurred before takeoff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.