Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I wonder why those are open and the others closed.
I'm assuming that it has to do with restrictions at the local level - for example hasn't Ontario mandated that food establishments be take-out or delivery only? Maybe AC has decided it isn't worth the hassle of having a lounge open without food and still having to cap number of people, etc. Easier to just close.

Yes, I realize there can be several jokes made about this post regarding if there is ever actually food in MLL, etc.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:00 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Yeah, except BC has mandated the same thing (take out and delivery only) for restaurants. So there must be some other reason the MLLs are still open at YVR.

Maybe they are worried that DrunkCargo might starve.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: AC E75K
For those who haven't already seen:

Airline further reducing schedule, maintaining essential services where possible

MONTREAL, March 18, 2020 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada said today that it will gradually suspend the majority of its international and U.S. transborder flights by March 31, 2020 in response to decisions by national governments, including Canada and the United States, to close borders and restrict commercial aviation as a result of the COVID-19 crisis. Subject to further government restrictions, the airline intends to continue to serve a small number of international and U.S. trans-border destinations from select Canadian cities after April 1, 2020. The airline also intends to continue serving all provinces and territories of Canada after that date, albeit with a significantly reduced network.

All schedule changes can be found at www.aircanada.com.

International and U.S. transborder services

In order to facilitate the continued repatriation of citizens to their home countries, including Canadians back to Canada, and to support the essential movement of needed goods and cargo during the crisis, Air Canada intends to continue to operate a limited number of international "air bridges" between one or more of its Canadian hubs and the cities of London, Paris, Frankfurt, Delhi, Tokyo and Hong Kong from April 1 until at least April 30. This will reduce its international network from 101 airports to six.

As to U.S. transborder services, given the decision by the U.S. and Canadian governments today, from April 1, Air Canada will reduce its transborder network from 53 airports to 13, subject to further reductions based on demand or government edicts. The cities with continued service will be: New York (LGA and EWR), Boston, Washington, D.C. (IAD and DCA), Chicago, Houston, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, Orlando and Fort Lauderdale.

Domestic Canada network

Air Canada intends to continue to serve all provinces and territories of Canada, reducing its domestic network from 62 airports to 40 through a reduced network during the period April 1 to 30, subject to further reductions based on demand or government edict.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:44 pm

Route Suspension YYZ to VIE from March 19 to April 30

My flight AC898 from YYZ to VIE is now listed on Air Canada.com under Route Suspensions: “Temporary suspension from March 19 to April 30.” Our departure was supposed to be April 25, 2020 with return on May 10th.

Should I expect Air Canada to cancel and refund or will they reschedule and I’ll have to apply for credit. Would prefer a refund at this stage.

Any advice much appreciated
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:46 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
capedreamer thanks for posting that.

For those that don't click the link, note a significant change to AC's policy regarding cancellations - credits instead of refunds:

Affected customers, including those with Air Canada Vacations packages, whose flights are cancelled will receive a full credit valid for 24 months.
24-month validity is better than 12 from when the ticket was first purchased, which has been the historical policy, but obviously not as good as getting your cash back right away.

Originally Posted by Sailor-man
My flight AC898 from YYZ to VIE is now listed on Air Canada.com under Route Suspensions: “Temporary suspension from March 19 to April 30.” Our departure was supposed to be April 25, 2020 with return on May 10th.

Should I expect Air Canada to cancel and refund or will they reschedule and I’ll have to apply for credit. Would prefer a refund at this stage.
You may be able to phone and get changed to flights in May after service resumes, at no charge, but per what I posted above, looks like AC is moving away from refunds, undoubtedly in an effort to preserve its cash.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:49 pm

capedreamer thanks for posting that.

For those that don't click the link, note a significant change to AC's policy regarding cancellations - credits instead of refunds:

24-month validity is 12 from when the ticket was first purchased, which has been the historical policy, but obviously not as good as getting your cash back right away.
I wonder if this is enforceable. Either way, I sure am glad I cancelled a few days ago and got a full cash refund. For those wanting one, could still try by phone and insist. Would be interested into see if anyone is successful with that.

No doubt AC is wanting to preserve available cash as much as possible.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mathemagic
I wonder if this is enforceable. Either way, I sure am glad I cancelled a few days ago and got a full cash refund. For those wanting one, could still try by phone and insist. Would be interested into see if anyone is successful with that.
The AC tariff did away with the formerly clear provisions around schedule irregularities and refunds when they amended it for APPR. So this may not be out of compliance with the tariff. If that's the case, it may require a lengthy process through CTA or the courts to challenge it.

I had the return of a round trip that was cancelled (I've already flown the outbound) a week ago or so and the website was still offering me a refund to the original form of payment as of this afternoon. I had been holding off cancelling it since there was a promo code attached and I thought that I would be able to eventually re-book it, but I decided to pull the trigger on cancellation just now so that I don't get stuck with a credit. I could certainly use it, given how much I travel, but I'd rather just have cash today.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:54 pm

The AC tariff did away with the formerly clear provisions around schedule irregularities and refunds when they amended it for APPR. So this may not be out of compliance with the tariff. If that's the case, it may require a lengthy process through CTA or the courts to challenge it.

I had the return of a round trip that was cancelled (I've already flown the outbound) a week ago or so and the website was still offering me a refund to the original form of payment as of this afternoon. I had been holding off cancelling it since there was a promo code attached and I thought that I would be able to eventually re-book it, but I decided to pull the trigger on cancellation just now so that I don't get stuck with a credit. I could certainly use it, given how much I travel, but I'd rather just have cash today.
A bird in the hand..., as they say. Good call.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:59 pm

Can someone post the link to the new policy. I’m still seeing:

If your travel is scheduled before April 30th, you can cancel your booking without a fee, and get a credit towards future travel that is booked and takes place before December 31st, 2020.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 1:34 pm
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Domestic Canada network

Air Canada intends to continue to serve all provinces and territories of Canada, reducing its domestic network from 62 airports to 40 through a reduced network during the period April 1 to 30, subject to further reductions based on demand or government edict.
A few questions. Which are the 22 airports in Canada which will have service suspended. The only domestic route suspension I see on the website is Toronto-Abbotsford.

AC mentions they'll service all territories of Canada? Didn't they stop serving NU a few years ago?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Sailor-man
Can someone post the link to the new policy. I’m still seeing:

If your travel is scheduled before April 30th, you can cancel your booking without a fee, and get a credit towards future travel that is booked and takes place before December 31st, 2020.
It's in capedreamer's post with today's update, the one that I replied to. But here you go anyway https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020...ID-19-Response
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER
A few questions. Which are the 22 airports in Canada which will have service suspended. The only domestic route suspension I see on the website is Toronto-Abbotsford.

AC mentions they'll service all territories of Canada? Didn't they stop serving NU a few years ago?

I've been checking smaller cities random days in April to see where tickets are no longer being sold. Some surprises, some that I was completely expecting
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I appreciate that it's an unprecedented situation and obviously AC management feels the need to protect cash reserves (and by extension, the ability to continue operations) by limiting refunds.

But limiting validity of the travel credit issued where a refund would normally have applied is not justified. That's taking an unprecedented situation and twisting it to benefit AC. AC should issue the most cash-like credit they can - something similar to a gift card.

If the government comes through with a bailout, one condition should be that all of those special gift cards are redeemable for cash.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I would assume that bookings involving an ex-EU segment are still eligible for a full refund per EC261 rules?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.