Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
@skybluesea Your posts regarding the LHR-ORD-YYZ itinerary are inaccurate. I have read the entire presidential proclamation as I needed to see if I was given an exemption as the child of a permanent resident despite not being a US resident myself. Section 1 of the order is as follows:
Section1. Suspension and Limitation on Entry. The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the Schengen Area during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.

This bars entry for everyone meeting that criteria, except for those under a list of specific exemptions in section 2. Nowhere in section 2 is there a provision allowing a Canadian citizen with no ties to the US to take the LHR-ORD flight, even if just to transit to Canada afterward. United will (correctly) prevent them from boarding at LHR.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:52 am

Programs: UA Plat
I have an “014” international ticket on AC, LX, and UA booked through Priceline prior to March 4. Am I correct that AC’s current change fee waiver applies? If so, travel starts prior to April 30, but ends in May. Does this qualify for the no change fee policy? Finally, would cancellation of any leg result in a refund of the entire fare?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Ill assume that AC has not cancelled all TB flights (as WS announced) due to the large number of routes and large volume of pax AC carries (and perhaps some corporate contracts). We know AC has reduced frequencies, but I assume those who have to fly TB will end up flying mostly AC? (I'm guessing)
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: AC E75K, MR/SPG Plat Ambassador, UA G
AC eCoupon's extending due to COVID-19?

Has anyone had luck reaching out to customer relations to extend eCoupons given as compensation for past poor flight experience?

I have two that expire in late April and had plans to use them for a wedding but that looks more and more uncertain due to COVID-19. I called in the main line and they said they have authorization to extend ACCredits but not eCoupons and I would have to email customer relations. Just wondering what my odds are here and response time, or whether I should just roll the dice and book the flight.

Relevent policy here: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-vouchers.html
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:29 am

I got notification that my flight was cancelled but I was rebooked for a later flight from USA-CAN but I don't intend to fly. What is air-canada's rebooking refund policy? It won't let me refund online unless I accept the change. Appears they've closed the call center so I can't call. I think I will just issue a charge back with my credit card.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by poohfighter
I got notification that my flight was cancelled but I was rebooked for a later flight from USA-CAN but I don't intend to fly. What is air-canada's rebooking refund policy? It won't let me refund online unless I accept the change. Appears they've closed the call center so I can't call. I think I will just issue a charge back with my credit card.
Such as it is, if the new arrival time is an hour or more later, you'll need to call them and you can get a full refund to original form of payme without the change fees that appear online.
If only the system could understand this and help reduce call volumes...
Good luck!
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The easiest way is to click the "Acknowledge new flight" button (it does NOT say "Accept"), and then online tools will work.

I'd also like to note that in my booking with a schedule change, the Cancel button does work, even without acknowledging the change.

This is not even close to grounds for a chargeback.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The easiest way is to click the "Acknowledge new flight" button (it does NOT say "Accept"), and then online tools will work.

I'd also like to note that in my booking with a schedule change, the Cancel button does work, even without acknowledging the change.

This is not even close to grounds for a chargeback.
The online tools aren't even allowing me to acknowledge the schedule change. I submitted an online request for refund, however they responded by saying because I was notified more than two weeks out I'm not eligible. Not true because my flight is in two days and I was notified yesterday of the cancellation. Understandable given the circumstances, but Air Canada really is a hot mess right now.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
The online tools aren't even allowing me to acknowledge the schedule change. I submitted an online request for refund, however they responded by saying because I was notified more than two weeks out I'm not eligible. Not true because my flight is in two days and I was notified yesterday of the cancellation. Understandable given the circumstances, but Air Canada really is a hot mess right now.
Yeah, I'm in a similar boat. Can't touch my booking online, and can't get through to the call center.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Pop-up in the app

Linked to

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...uirements.html

I updated the wiki
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Is anyone getting check-in notification even after their itinerary has been cancelled?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Is anyone getting check-in notification even after their itinerary has been cancelled?
Yes, this is a well documented issue around these parts. Feel free to ignore the check-in notification/email if you are confident your ticket has been properly cancelled.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: AC SE
A pilot friend is flying a Caribbean route today. He said they expected 30 passengers out of YYZ, but only 14 showed. They are significantly oversold for the return flight. I suppose that sounds about right…
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jasdou
Yes, this is a well documented issue around these parts. Feel free to ignore the check-in notification/email if you are confident your ticket has been properly cancelled.
Thanks for the note. I have confirmation email from AC the itinerary has been cancelled; although I am still waiting for the actual refund (flight to/from HKG).
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 1:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.