Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:12 pm

How dare Air Canada decide to stop issuing refunds for the same issue (covid-19) overnight and refuse issuing rightful refunds?. Consumers are entitled to the refunds for flight cancelled by Air Canada, no matter what.

I say it's time to hit Air Canada hard and demand refunds by any means (charge back, small claims, ...) and punish it for its arrogance, nickle and diming and bad treatment of the average traveller during the years of travelling plenty.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
How dare Air Canada decide to stop issuing refunds for the same issue (covid-19). Consumers are entitled to the refunds for flight cancelled by Air Canada, no matter what.

I say it's time to hit Air Canada hard and demand refunds by any means (charge back, small claims, ...) and punish it for its arrogance, nickle and diming and bad treatment of the average traveller during the years of travelling plenty.
That's going to be quite difficult with the courts closed for the time being. Unfortunately.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC E75K
How dare Air Canada decide to stop issuing refunds for the same issue (covid-19) overnight and refuse issuing rightful refunds?. Consumers are entitled to the refunds for flight cancelled by Air Canada, no matter what.

Not that I'm happy about the policy, but what if 'hitting them hard' just bankrupts the airline? All airlines are trying to conserve cash flow at this point to avert a liquidity (as opposed to solvency) crisis. Not customer friendly, but not reasonable from a business continuity perspective.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Not that I'm happy about the policy, but what if 'hitting them hard' just bankrupts the airline? All airlines are trying to conserve cash flow at this point to avert a liquidity (as opposed to solvency) crisis. Not customer friendly, but not reasonable from a business continuity perspective.
Let them go bankrupt. Hopefully we'll end up with a few more smaller airlines competing for the benfit of consumers.

Plus, many consumers are losing their jobs and could use the money back from refunds to put food on the table.

EDIT: It still says here that one can request a refund:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ncelled-flight
My flight has been cancelled. What should I do?
For flight cancellations, we will contact you via the email address or phone number you provided when you booked your flight.

At a later time, when you decide you want to travel, you can apply your credit to a future booking. Please call Air Canada at 1-888-247-2262 to book your new flight with your credit.

If you decide to have your credit refunded to the original payment method, please fill out the refund form and submit it here.

Last edited by hoipolloi; Mar 20, 2020 at 12:37 pm
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
And many more people are going or will be bankrupt as well if this pandemic continues for months and months.

Any refund not given back to the customer for a cancelled flight is pretty much an interest free loan to the airline. A loan that could have been used to pay rent, bills, etc.

Imagine if it was a restaurant employee who spent his savings to buy a ticket to Europe and ended up being temporarily laid off. He definitely needs that money to pay off rent/food. But is told he can't have a refund for a flight that the airline cancelled.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Let them go bankrupt. Hopefully we'll end up with a few more smaller airlines competing for the benfit of consumers.

Plus, many consumers are losing their jobs and could use the money back from refunds to put food on the table.

EDIT: It still says here that one can request a refund:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ncelled-flight
Originally Posted by supatight80
And many more people are going or will be bankrupt as well if this pandemic continues for months and months.

Any refund not given back to the customer for a cancelled flight is pretty much an interest free loan to the airline. A loan that could have been used to pay rent, bills, etc.

Imagine if it was a restaurant employee who spent his savings to buy a ticket to Europe and ended up being temporarily laid off. He definitely needs that money to pay off rent/food. But is told he can't have a refund for a flight that the airline cancelled.
I don't disagree with either of you. There are downstream implications on every part of the economy from this crisis. Many many companies and people will be hurt. Very few winners if any. So yes, if you take that attitude, then so be it, everyone for themselves and we'll see who can last the longest. I say this with no judgment.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
I don't disagree with either of you. There are downstream implications on every part of the economy from this crisis. Many many companies and people will be hurt. Very few winners if any. So yes, if you take that attitude, then so be it, everyone for themselves and we'll see who can last the longest. I say this with no judgment.
Well I don't think AC is having your best interests either.

Look at the new rules. AC cancels your flight. Flight purchased is 2000$. AC tells you you can use that credit for future use. But if your future flight is 1300$, you lose 700$.

At least they should have made it as a travelfund. Where any residual amount could be used for another ticket. But no...

Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Let's please refrain from widening the discussion in this thread to all of the outbreak impacts rippling through our society and keep it focused on AC, it's operations or suspensions and effects to passengers.

tcook052
AC forum mod.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC, KL
YVR-DEL and YYZ-DEL were added to the route suspension page. Last flights are today.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Supervisor called back and was wholly unsympathetic and unhelpful. Apparently AC's interpretation of EC261 only covers AC flights; as my AC TATL flight hasn't yet been cancelled, she was unwilling to do anything.

FWIW, EC261 policies are on AC's site here: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...er-rights.html
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:06 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dkc192
Flight was cancelled on March 19th/20th. I did point out EC261 to the frontline agent but that did not matter. Rationale for the chargeback is that refusing a refund is against the law (EC261).
The second part of my post that you quoted wasn't in response to your post. EU261 clearly entitles you to a refund. My only advice to you was that I think it will be resolved more quickly by escalating it with AC than a chargeback. But you would have pretty legitimate grounds for a chargeback.

EDIT: I see that while I was typing this long post, you updated on your situation. What exactly was your itinerary? I'm pretty sure they're wrong, since I find it hard to envision how an LH flight wasn't covered by EU261, but would you mind giving the details?

Originally Posted by supatight80
A) For A320 to A319. You're still being flown from point A to B at a specific time and date.

B) Being 5 minutes late or 5 hours late is called a "delay". It is not a cancelation. There is a difference between the term delay and cancelation.

As to OP, OP was talking about his flight being cancelled and was neither given an alternative time or date for OP to take the next flight to his final destination. Hence, as you say chargeback is when a company fails to deliver a product or service.

Don't twist my words. Your analogy of a 5 minute delay or switch from A320 to A319 is sooo far off from a flight cancelation.
The only person who's twisting words here is you. You said "I always thought people buy airline tickets for the service of being flown from point A to B at a specific date and time..."

I said nothing about a 5-minute delay. I asked about a 5-minute schedule change. If the airline changes the schedule by 5 minutes, you're no longer being flown "at a specific date and time". So, does that entitle you to a refund? By your rationale, it would, even though I think that we would all agree that isn't reasonable. What about if the airline was supposed to fly you from A to B via C, then changes the connection so that you're flying A to B via D, although still departing and arriving at the same date and time? I would argue that's a pretty meaningful change and should entitle one to change or potentially refund the booking, but under your "point A to B at a specific date and time" statement, they're still compliant with their obligation to you. You say that change of aircraft type doesn't matter, but what if it's mainline to regional (or vice versa), with the same times?

You're trying to take a very black-and-white approach to an issue that's more complex. As ​​​YEG USER has pointed out, schedule is not guaranteed, and that has been well argued over the years, because it's too complex a business. The question is what are the terms governing schedule changes and how they impact a passenger's rights. A detailed document is required to set that out, and that's where the tariff comes in. That's what spells out what you've actually bought when you purchased that flight, and whether or not the airline has failed "to deliver service".

Let's game this out. You initiate a chargeback with Amex, hypothetically, claiming they've failed to deliver the service because they cancelled the flight. AC believes the new policy is in accordance to the tariff, which you agreed to when you purchased the flight, and pushes back. They claim that they've offered you a travel credit, in accordance with the tariff, and that the chargeback is illegitimate. Now you've put Amex in the position of having to choose sides. Will they take the customer's side? Maybe. Or maybe their lawyers will look hard at it, especially if thousands of people are doing this all at once, and they decide the travel credit is in accordance with what you've purchased and deny the chargeback.

Are there other possible outcomes? Absolutely. AC might know that the new policy isn't something that holds no water, legally, and simply accept the chargeback. Or Amex could come down on the customer's side. But it's not a guaranteed success. And if Amex decides the chargeback was illegitimate, there could be negative consequences for the person initiating it (not terribly likely, but it's possible).

Nor does Canada have a law like EU261 that would help out the consumer in this case. APPR is primarily aimed at issues day of travel and is useless on this issue.

Thats OK to you?
You've leapt to a conclusion about what I think of the policy. I don't like it and I don't think it's right.

Emotions are clearly running very high right now, with posts like yours and people talking about "hit[ting] Air Canada hard", but emotions are often not helpful when it comes to business matters. I've simply tried to approach this matter with logic and facts, because it's not always about what's "right" or "wrong", it's about the terms of the agreement and how best to resolve the dispute. I'm considering filing a claim with the Canadian Transportation Agency, which regulates AC and would be the primary arbiter of whether AC's tariff (or a policy deriving therefrom, such as the refunds vs credits issue) is reasonable or not, but thus far I've not been affected by it, and I'm not sure whether I have standing or not. But that's what I believe is likely the best way to get this mess sorted and get AC back to giving people refunds like it should.

If your preferred method is to file a chargeback, as I've stated above, you and anyone else who wants to do that is more than free to do so, and I actually wish you luck. I just don't think it's the sure thing that people around FT often think it is.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by BML87
YVR-DEL and YYZ-DEL were added to the route suspension page. Last flights are today.
But why is AC still happily selling tickets for those routes?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYJMSP
But why is AC still happily selling tickets for those routes?
Because they need the cash?

Seriously, silos. Left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. Just like the amadeus migration. Which worked wonderfully well. But left all the tools hanging on RES-III boken. Of course no one had thought about that. Nor that call centers would get flooded. Different people in charge, each of whom optimizes his own little word without looking at the bigger picture.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The second part of my post that you quoted wasn't in response to your post. EU261 clearly entitles you to a refund. My only advice to you was that I think it will be resolved more quickly by escalating it with AC than a chargeback. But you would have pretty legitimate grounds for a chargeback.

EDIT: I see that while I was typing this long post, you updated on your situation. What exactly was your itinerary? I'm pretty sure they're wrong, since I find it hard to envision how an LH flight wasn't covered by EU261, but would you mind giving the details?
Sure. It was LAX-YYZ-FRA-BRU; PMI-MUC-YYZ-LAX. PMI-MUC has been cancelled according to the AC PNR. MUC-YYZ is no longer showing up in the GDS but the cancellation hasn't been reflected in the PNR yet. LAX-YYZ and YYZ-LAX have had schedule changes that show in the GDS but not the PNR.

How would you recommend I "escalate" at AC? The supervisor did seem familiar with AC's internal EC261 policy (per my web link a few posts up), but she also directed me to contact customer relations, implying that reservations agents do not handle matters to do with EC261. But maybe this stance will change with a different agent and/or once the AC PNR actually reflects the cancelled MUC-YYZ.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
Sure. It was LAX-YYZ-FRA-BRU; PMI-MUC-YYZ-LAX. PMI-MUC has been cancelled according to the AC PNR. MUC-YYZ is no longer showing up in the GDS but the cancellation hasn't been reflected in the PNR yet. LAX-YYZ and YYZ-LAX have had schedule changes that show in the GDS but not the PNR.

How would you recommend I "escalate" at AC? The supervisor did seem familiar with AC's internal EC261 policy (per my web link a few posts up), but she also directed me to contact customer relations, implying that reservations agents do not handle matters to do with EC261. But maybe this stance will change with a different agent and/or once the AC PNR actually reflects the cancelled MUC-YYZ.
I suspect f the PNR has not been updated these folks whom you sleak to go by the rule that the flights still exists. They are not in the GDS is not relevant from their perspective. Anyway, waiting for a couple of days might help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.