Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:45 am

This morning I got an email from Aeroplan, here’s the interesting part:

Cancel any Flight Reward free of charge, until March 31
If you'd like to cancel any Flight Reward, the fastest way to do so is at Aeroplan.com. Due to high call volumes, we are experiencing long hold times at our contact centres. Until March 31, you can cancel free of charge and receive all of your Aeroplan Miles back in your account, plus a full refund of any associated taxes, fees and surcharges on the unused value of your travel. Simply log-in and visit Manage your bookings.
Do you think that the refunded fees will include things that are usually non-refundable like seat selections?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Repatriation flight ? Who will get to sit in business class ?
Yes, it will be heading to Montreal. It is a commercial flight, not a government flight, so the people who pay to sit in business class will be sitting in business class!
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Yes, it will be heading to Montreal. It is a commercial flight, not a government flight, so the people who pay to sit in business class will be sitting in business class!
.... And, likely, as many non-revs as there are on the plane
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:23 am

Anyone tried doing credit card chargeback for cancelled flights? The 24 month credit is ludicrous and holding our money hostage for services not rendered. I have no intention of traveling on AC in the future so the credit is completely useless. Who knows if AC will still be around in the next 24 months...
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by peteremcc
I've got some good news for you all, finally.

After a week of trying to get through to AC via Facebook, Twitter, email, and phone (where I only ever got the message that there were too many callers, and didn't even get put on hold), I finally managed to get put on hold this afternoon.

After spending an hour and a half on hold, someone answered, and then almost immediately hung up on me, before I'd even explained why I was calling.

About an hour later I called again and got through after about 45 minutes.

This time, I asked the person to escalate due to the previous person hanging up on me, and he filled out the form for me and I'm expecting a call back in the next 24-48 hours.

Then, after we'd filled out that form, I asked if he could help with cancelling my flights.

He said sure, I gave him the three confirmation codes.

The codes were for two domestic flights (outbound 24/03, inbound 30/03) that have been cancelled, and one transborder US flight (outbound 02/04, inbound 07/04) that as of now has only had a minor schedule change.

These were all non-refundable bookings, in Economy Standard.

He put me on hold and came back to confirm that all four bookings will be refunded fully to my credit card, and I have received email confirmations of all four.

Only minor issue is he said the refund could take up to 50 (!) days to arrive, due to how busy they are.

That could be an issue if AC actually ends up going out of business, but in the end, a good result.

Looks like it could be a case of needing to be persistant, and hanging up and calling again to get a helpful customer service person might be good.

It could also be a case of needing to sound like you know your rights and expect a refund, not the credit being offered.

Having a story of how difficult it has been to reach them might be helpful too.

Ironically, AC got back to me on Twitter about 20 minutes after I hung up the phone - telling me that it looked like all my reservations were already cancelled (nice to have a second confirmation, but awful timing).

-Peter

TLDR:

Successfully got a refund for four non-refundable flights.
Two domestic had been cancelled.
Two transborder had only had minor changes.
Don't take the credit - show them you expect a refund.
i cancelled my reservation with an AC phone agent after 2:15 minutes on hold this past Wednesday...recieved a full refund, credited back to my cc. Credit showed up on my creditcard this morning...48hrs. later😁
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
BTW according to AMEX credit card insurance wording,

"Any credits provided by the airline or travel supplier for travel on another date, are considered transferable amounts and shall not be payable under this insurance"
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:37 am

The wiki in this thread is misleading. It should add that getting a travel credit for cancelled flights is not the only option, and that clients may be able to get a refund back to initial payment method as well.

if there are numerous people who insist on getting a refund, AC may give up on trying to shove inflexible travel credits on us.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I have a reservation booked through Expedia for DEN-YYZ-VIE for this coming Thursday. YYZ-VIE (flight 898) is not on AC's list of route suspensions, but I have been checking every day to see if the flight has been operating. Each day it shows the flight as operating until the day of departure and then it shows canceled, Expedia won't reroute me until the flight is showing canceled. Am I going to have to wait until Thursday morning until I can be rerouted ? (YYZ-MUC would be an acceptable alternative and it has been operating every day so far). Checking availability it shows flight is sold out/not available, but not canceled.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:02 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by supatight80
I never said I was going to do a chargeback with AC. In fact I have no plans to (unless they decide to not give me my refund owed and decide to give me a travel credit instead)

But regardless, the 24 month credit doesn't sit well with me if an airline initiated the cancelation. Refundable ticket or not.
The 24-month credit is BS, absolutely.

But do you think you'll go through the hassle of fighting AC to get free cancellation, or will you just eat the $44 and DIY online?

Originally Posted by Phorx
Do you think that the refunded fees will include things that are usually non-refundable like seat selections?
I don't have the answer to your question (I don't think the e-mail is clear; Aeroplan or AC may well say that seat selection fees are not "associated" fees), but with this being your first post, just wanted to say welcome to FT

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
The wiki in this thread is misleading. It should add that getting a travel credit for cancelled flights is not the only option, and that clients may be able to get a refund back to initial payment method as well.

if there are numerous people who insist on getting a refund, AC may give up on trying to shove inflexible travel credits on us.
I know you're very angry about this, but no one here has yet posted about getting a refund in contravention of the new policy - all of the confirmed stories of refunds involve flights cancelled prior to March 19th.

The wiki is factual. If the situation changes, e.g. the threat of the class action makes AC change its policy, or the CTA forces AC to resolve it, etc, then someone will update the wiki.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:05 am

How bad are telephone call center wait times for others? Been on phone for 2 hrs trying to cancel. Tried online but errored out and said to call. =(
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
How bad are telephone call center wait times for others? Been on phone for 2 hrs trying to cancel. Tried online but errored out and said to call. =(
I spent 1h10m on hold last week on the E50k line. The agent was helpful though once I got though.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:47 pm

I called in today and was told very firmly that no refunds are being offered, that a credit is the only option. No matter what I said, he would not budge. Decided to wait for a bit and possibly try again another day.

(90 minutes on hold)
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: Mileage plus
Hello,

i saw the new waiver policy. I have a flight fir Brazil booked in august 2020. Air Canada is offering a credit (700$) - can this credit be used towards any flight? I mean let’s say I travel to Colombia instead of Brazil - will I lose the taxes that were initially paid for travel to Brazil?

thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:01 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I have a reservation booked through Expedia for DEN-YYZ-VIE for this coming Thursday. YYZ-VIE (flight 898) is not on AC's list of route suspensions, but I have been checking every day to see if the flight has been operating. Each day it shows the flight as operating until the day of departure and then it shows canceled, Expedia won't reroute me until the flight is showing canceled. Am I going to have to wait until Thursday morning until I can be rerouted ? (YYZ-MUC would be an acceptable alternative and it has been operating every day so far). Checking availability it shows flight is sold out/not available, but not canceled.
Toronto - Vienna Temporary suspension from March 19 until April 30
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
I called in today at 11:56am Pacific and sat on hold for about two and a half hours. Connected to an agent at 2:20pm, got everything resolved in ~15min or so.

I hope you enjoy the Air Canada hold music and very nice lady telling you about specials to various destinations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.