Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:41 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by supatight80
Hmm. I guess I must have been wrong all these years flying.

I always thought people buy airline tickets for the service of being flown from point A to B at a specific date and time...​​​​​​
If you buy a ticket on a flight operated by a 320 and they switch it to a 319, should this entitle you to a refund? What if they change the schedule and you arrival is 4 minutes later? Or leave 5 minutes earlier? By your absolutist logic, any change whatsoever would be grounds for a refund. I think most people would agree that's unreasonable. So to determine what rights occur from a schedule change, there needs to be be a framework, which is the tariff.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scoutiscool
Dear all Air Canada experts,

I booked a "non-refundable" business class ticket directly on the Air Canada website on September 2019. Please note that this ticket is originally non-refundable. I had an itinerary from SFO to HKG on 4/12 and then I was scheduled to fly back on 4/16. On March 5, Air Canada sent me an email indicating that "One or more flights in your itinerary cannot be operated as planned". Please see screenshot below.

This itinerary won't work out for me as my boss wanted me to go back to work on 4/17 (I know, this is a very silly reason, but I was only given that many holidays). I also figured right now, it may not be a good reason to travel due to the spreading of COVID-19, so I decided to cancel my itinerary as soon as I got this itinerary change email on March 5. So I logged onto my reservation and hit the "Cancel Booking" button. I was quite surprised see on the cancellation page that I could get my full refund back if I were to cancel and choose to credit back to my original payment (my credit card) because I booked a non-refundable ticket to start with. I apologize that I forgot to take the screenshot of the cancellation page.

As soon as I cancelled my itinerary, I received an email from Air Canada indicating that I'll be notified by email once my refund has been processed. However, since I'm based in the US, I believe that we have a regulation with our Department of Travel that if an airline owes a refund, the refund should be processed within 7 business days (source: https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ection/refunds).

I've been trying to reach out to Air Canada after I waited for seven business days since 3/5, but I've been getting no responses from them. I couldn't even get on hold with them via phone due to high volume of calls. I've sent them an email to the customer relation team and their refund team but I haven't gotten any responses back from them. I fully understand that to resolve this kind of issue, the airline is the first one I should be dealing with. I know that the above cancellation email said that I should wait at least three weeks to wait for my refund to be deposited into my credit card. I just want the experts here to give me some advises on what I should do if I still don't get my refund back after I wait for three weeks? Should I file a complaint with DOT, or just call my credit card company to dispute the transaction? I really don't want to go with either routes, but it seems like I'll be running out of options now as I just can't get on hold with Air Canada agents.
DOT complaint.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
1. Do you know when the flight was cancelled? If it was prior to March 19th, the new policy is irrelevant, and you should point that out to them.

2. Did you cite EU261 to AC? Airlines often don't want to provide these benefits proactively, but often change their tune quickly as soon as you say the right words.

It will likely be quicker and easier to resolve this with AC than trying a chargeback.

What is your rationale for a chargeback? You don't like AC's new terms and conditions? I expect you're going to have a hard time getting your credit card issuer to just give you a refund, unless it's covered under the card's trip cancellation insurance. Remember this isn't a one-off, there are going to be tens of thousands of people affected by this, so credit card issuers are likely to be looking very closely at their own policies as well. Last thing they want to do is start handing out a bunch of cash to people like you and then not be able to recover it from the airlines.
Flight was cancelled on March 19th/20th. I did point out EC261 to the frontline agent but that did not matter. Rationale for the chargeback is that refusing a refund is against the law (EC261).
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by supatight80
Hmm. I guess I must have been wrong all these years flying.

I always thought people buy airline tickets for the service of being flown from point A to B at a specific date and time...

​​​​​​
My understanding is that yes, you have been wrong all these years of flying. Pre-COVID there have been many posts on here over the years that you buy a service for being flown from Point A to B, however schedule (date and time) is not actually part of the contract. That has changed somewhat in recent months with the passenger bill of rights, but my understanding is that even that typically deals more with things with delays, etc. at the time of travel, and not changes made well in advance.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
If you buy a ticket on a flight operated by a 320 and they switch it to a 319, should this entitle you to a refund? What if they change the schedule and you arrival is 4 minutes later? Or leave 5 minutes earlier? By your absolutist logic, any change whatsoever would be grounds for a refund. I think most people would agree that's unreasonable. So to determine what rights occur from a schedule change, there needs to be be a framework, which is the tariff.
A) For A320 to A319. You're still being flown from point A to B at a specific time and date.

B) Being 5 minutes late or 5 hours late is called a "delay". It is not a cancelation. There is a difference between the term delay and cancelation.

As to OP, OP was talking about his flight being cancelled and was neither given an alternative time or date for OP to take the next flight to his final destination. Hence, as you say chargeback is when a company fails to deliver a product or service.

Don't twist my words. Your analogy of a 5 minute delay or switch from A320 to A319 is sooo far off from a flight cancelation.

This is more like you booking a non-refundable hotel stay for $20,000 at $2000/night or whatever amount at a Suite at the W Maldives. Hotel cancels your booking for whatever reason. And instead giving you your money back, they say sorry no refund but come back within 2 years and you can book the same suite but we won't lock-in the price you originally paid. It could be 5000$/night.

Thats OK to you?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by YEG USER
My understanding is that yes, you have been wrong all these years of flying. Pre-COVID there have been many posts on here over the years that you buy a service for being flown from Point A to B, however schedule (date and time) is not actually part of the contract. That has changed somewhat in recent months with the passenger bill of rights, but my understanding is that even that typically deals more with things with delays, etc. at the time of travel, and not changes made well in advance.
The only reason this is/might be happening is because the market puts up with it. If passengers spoke differently with their wallets, this would not happen.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by mathemagic
The only reason this is/might be happening is because the market puts up with it. If passengers spoke differently with their wallets, this would not happen.
By buying on a different airline with the same rules?

Last edited by canadiancow; Mar 20, 2020 at 10:48 am Reason: wow that was the wrong word...
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
By booing on a different airline with the same rules?
By flying less. Not necessarily practical, but...
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
There is now a waiver on FP bookings
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-goodwill.html
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:49 am

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-goodwill.html

Credit-based FPs now get one free change.

Unlimited FPs can be paused.

So no help for my credit-based Latitude FPs
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: AC*SEMM
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mathemagic

The reason this rule is in place is that there remain too many uncertainties associated with flying.

Paradox being that for marketing reasons airlines would rather not adverse these too much. Scaring people does not help getting them to fly. Just look at the BS in announcements about sudden decompression, "if the cabin pressure changes..." Which to me is borderline offensive.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: AC E75K
For those debating whether EC261 protects them on EU-originating flights operated by AC, it appears the EU has 'sided' with the airlines in this case (emphasis mine):

Passenger rights Please check with your transport carrier whether the service is offered as planned.

Exemptions for carriers: For air, sea and inland waterways there are so-called “force majeure clauses”, which exempt carriers for paying compensation for delays or cancellations if caused by extraordinary circumstances. Airlines can cancel flights two weeks before the scheduled departure and no compensation is due. No such exemptions are foreseen for rail. The provisions on delay and compensation do not apply to cruise ships. For bus and coach severe weather conditions allow for exemptions regarding accommodation compensation for stranded passengers. Rights of passengers to information, care and assistance (reimbursement, re-routing, apply also under these extraordinary circumstances (if the conditions are fulfilled).

If passengers want to cancel their trip: Please check the terms and conditions of your transport carrier. For example, some rail companies have special offers for cancelling your trip due to COVID-19.

What is the Commission doing?

The Commission published on 18 March 2020 interpretative guidelines on how certain provisions of the EU passenger rights legislation should be applied in the context of the COVID-19 outbreak and thereby ensure clarity and legal certainty for all those involved. Passengers can be reassured that their rights are protected. For example, if their journey is cancelled, they can choose between reimbursement or re-routing or travel at a later date. At the same time, the guidelines clarify that the current circumstances are “extraordinary” e.g., compensation may not be given in case of flight cancellation less than two weeks before departure date.
Source: https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-...y_en#transport
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by capedreamer
For those debating whether EC261 protects them on EU-originating flights operated by AC, it appears the EU has 'sided' with the airlines in this case (emphasis mine):

Source: https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-...y_en#transport
"Compensation" here refers to the 600 EUR payout you get if your flight cancels on the day of or within 14 days of departure. I'm mostly concerned about a refund here, which, according to your second bit of highlighted text (and elsewhere in the same memo IIRC), airlines are still obligated to provide.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by dkc192
"Compensation" here refers to the 600 EUR payout you get if your flight cancels on the day of or within 14 days of departure. I'm mostly concerned about a refund here, which, according to your second bit of highlighted text (and elsewhere in the same memo IIRC), airlines are still obligated to provide.
Ah this just clicked for me, too, and is good news (I hope).

LX just cancelled an upcoming flight and their current policy only speaks of vouchers (but I want a cash refund). Like you, I'm not looking for compensation on top.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.