Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by dparkinson
Is the June schedule finalized yet? I see they’re adding back more service particularly to Europe but wanted to know if it’s possible they still axe those.
Very possible. I don't see AC's international routes changing much from what they are flying today until Canada and other countries start opening up borders and removing quarantine restrictions. When that will happen is anyone's guess, but it could well be a very long time from now. Since AC won't refund tickets when they cancel flights, it makes no sense to buy a ticket until they actually start flying the route that you are interested in.

Last edited by StuMcIlwain; May 16, 2020 at 3:09 pm
Old May 16, 2020, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Very possible. I don't see AC's international routes changing much from what they are flying today until Canada and other countries start opening up borders and removing quarantine restrictions. When that will happen is anyone's guess, but it could well be a very long time from now. Since AC won't refund tickets when they cancel flights, it makes no sense to buy a ticket until they actually start flying the route that you are interested in.
Unless you buy a latitude fare. That’s a way to book a fight while still being able to get a refund.
Old May 16, 2020, 6:23 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Since AC won't refund tickets when they cancel flights, it makes no sense to buy a ticket until they actually start flying the route that you are interested in.
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Unless you buy a latitude fare. That’s a way to book a fight while still being able to get a refund.
Neither of these are quite correct. AC is still refunding all refundable tickets at any time, at the customer's choosing. For Latitude, PE Flexible and Business Flexible, that generally means a full refund. For other fare brands, some tickets are refundable, less a penalty, depending on the fare rules. If your ticket is refundable, you can still get a refund, less the penalty.

The change is that AC is no longer providing full refunds in the event of involuntary schedule changes.
Old May 17, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Help understanding Aeroplan cancellation fees

Recently, I've been booking quite a few reward flights with recently purchased miles. All flights are AC in Canada. With all the recent changes, I'm confused by the cancellation policy. Up to June 30, 2020, it seems I can cancel for free and get my miles/fees back as stated on the Aeroplan website: "Cancel any Flight Reward free of charge, until June 30"

Question: How much does it cost to cancel a flight after June 30? The website link below seems to imply it is free up to 24 hours but I'm thinking this can't be the case.
https://www.aeroplan.com/faqhelp/531...tLanguage=en#/

As an additional complication, one of the accounts I'm booking flights with has Diamond status. This previously allowed me to cancel for $30 - but Diamond Status will be going away at some point in the fall (exact date unknown). I also have altitude 25k status on one of my accounts.

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I called Aeroplan and will answer my own question:
  • Reward flights can be cancelled free of charge until June 30
  • After June 30, there is a charge of $125. If you have Diamond status, the charge is still $30
  • Apparently, Diamond status won't be going away until 2021
Old May 17, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
When calling in, I was told that cancelled flights would entitle me to a rebooking without add collect on the same route. What was unclear is do I have to follow the 1 year validity of my ticket or will they extend the validity and do I need to change by the original departure date.
Old May 17, 2020, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
When calling in, I was told that cancelled flights would entitle me to a rebooking without add collect on the same route.
On the same date, yes, but on a different date of your choosing? That's certainly not published anywhere. Are you sure?
Old May 17, 2020, 10:37 pm

When calling in, I was told that cancelled flights would entitle me to a rebooking without add collect on the same route. What was unclear is do I have to follow the 1 year validity of my ticket or will they extend the validity and do I need to change by the original departure date.
That doesn't sound right. Did they send you an email confirmation of the information?
Old May 17, 2020, 10:39 pm

My mother just cancelled her YYZ-CPH-YYZ J tickets for August and got full refund of points and fees/taxes with no questions asked.

Dr. PITUK
Old May 17, 2020, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by painintheuk
My mother just cancelled her YYZ-CPH-YYZ J tickets for August and got full refund of points and fees/taxes with no questions asked.

Dr. PITUK
That is indeed the policy, yes. Because someone appears to have also gotten it wrong in the another thread: you can cancel ANY itinerary until June 30 for a free refund - even for travel after June 30.
Old May 18, 2020, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by painintheuk
That doesn't sound right. Did they send you an email confirmation of the information?
called again. Was told within 7 days of being notified (I’m on day 6) free change including add collect is fine to EOS
Old May 18, 2020, 1:45 am

called again. Was told within 7 days of being notified (I’m on day 6) free change including add collect is fine to EOS
If that's truly the case, it's bizarre that it isn't published anywhere. AC even just sent out an update to TAs the other day on schedule change/cancellation policies and that wasn't mentioned.

It's a nice benefit in theory, but given the current uncertainty over future travel, not very useful. For instance, I had to cancel my YVR round trip for the F'ing Epic Do last month. I knew I would use the credit for another trip to YVR, but even now, a month later, I still don't know when I'll be able to use it.
Old May 18, 2020, 3:22 am

I’m being told one caveat to the policy is the rebooking must take place within 7 days of when they cxl the flight. I’ve spoken w 3 agents. All have said the same thing
Old May 18, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Do you think it's a good idea to plan travel right away expecting prices will go up when travel resumes?

I have must-do travel end of June and well as end of August and thinking of booking now. I
Old May 18, 2020, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The change is that AC is no longer providing full refunds in the event of involuntary schedule changes.
I was busy in the clinic last month sorting out how we are going to react to COVID when i got a involuntary schedule change YVR --> YYZ. It wasn't very clear/I was pretty distracted and from previous experience thought I would get full refund, somehow ended up with a partial refund of $134 on $1600 for two return tickets. Realized what had happened a few weeks later and thought i was pretty much out of luck but called CS anyway. They decided to give me balance as future travel credit. Thought that was pretty decent of them, so not all bad customer relations I remain mostly pleased with the service i've gotten from them over the past few years. On the other hand one could argue that refunding <10% should never have been an option i suppose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.