Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:40 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Let's go to the source to see what will happen (bolding mine):

For flight cancellations, we will contact you via the email address or phone number you provided when you booked your flight.

At a later time, when you decide you want to travel, you can apply your credit to a future booking. Please call Air Canada at 1-888-247-2262 to book your new flight with your credit.

If you decide to have your credit refunded to the original payment method, please fill out the refund form and submit it hereExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines..

For any other questions or for actions regarding your upcoming travel, please visit our Customer Support Page.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ncelled-flight

I would also suggest just logging into your booking to see what options are provided.
Actually, what it says as of this morning is, consistent with yesterday's press release, 24-month credits, not refunds:

For flights cancelled on or after March 19th, you will receive full credit, which you can use towards future travel. This credit is valid for travel within 24 months of your flight cancellation date.​​​​​​
Although if a flight was cancelled yesterday or earlier, presumably a refund should still be available.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Actually, what it says as of this morning is, consistent with yesterday's press release, 24-month credits, not refunds:

Although if a flight was cancelled yesterday or earlier, presumably a refund should still be available.
Thanks for that, apologies to the poster. I'm getting older versions of these pages caching intermittently.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this evolve over time as well. But I don't think that this is a chargeback scenario either.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Thanks for that, apologies to the poster. I'm getting older versions of these pages caching intermittently.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this evolve over time as well. But I don't think that this is a chargeback scenario either.
Wait a minute, so I still have to fill up that firm after I cancelled my flight?

Coz I'm getting this...
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Plat
If the trip is via the EU (mine is through ZRH both outbound and inbound) do EU refund policies trump AC’s intent to issue a credit?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by supatight80
Wait a minute, so I still have to fill up that firm after I cancelled my flight?

Coz I'm getting this...
If you're seeing the ability to get a refund via the online cancellation process, then you can get a refund.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, long haul flights with no pillows, blankets ,inflated seats or bar service. Are the lavs still available? (many former public washrooms no longer available to public at gas stations for example)
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
If the trip is via the EU (mine is through ZRH both outbound and inbound) do EU refund policies trump AC’s intent to issue a credit?
EU261 is applicable to (a) European carriers and (b) flights from the EU operated by non-European carriers.

So a round trip to Europe sold by a non-European carrier, not entirely clear. In theory, a refund could be applicable only for the return.

​​​​​​I posted a link upthread yesterday to an EU document from yesterday with clarifications. I suggest you check that to see whether it offers any clarity.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by acysb87
Wow, long haul flights with no pillows, blankets ,inflated seats or bar service. Are the lavs still available? (many former public washrooms no longer available to public at gas stations for example)
Front lav on all planes going to be reserved for crew only going forward supposedly. Even on narrowbodies, J passengers will be asked to use the rear lavs.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Front lav on all planes going to be reserved for crew only going forward supposedly. Even on narrowbodies, J passengers will be asked to use the rear lavs.
Wow, although if there are only 50 people on an A321 it might not be that noticeable of a difference.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
As much as I miss flying...the idea of getting on an aircraft today....
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All of this makes sense. I am shocked that it has taken so long for carriers to discontinue individual food service. It is one thing to properly sterilize a commercial kitchen, prepare items, wrap them and then let them move through commerce. Quite another to do the same for plates, cutlery, gloves, service items, carts, trays and the like.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999
As much as I miss flying...the idea of getting on an aircraft today....
Think of all the room though! Lie-flats in Y on narrowbodies!
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Just let people have their refund, this is really poor form.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Good news on the refund

You've made the phone call, and there will definitely be a record of that, so I wouldn't worry too much, it should get processed eventually. They're dealing with excruciating volumes at the moment.
Oh, are all calls still recorded? I don't recall that message being played when I called in, but I also spent ~2hrs. on hold, so ...

Refund has yet to show (to be fair, I'm guessing they're getting slammed) and PNR still appearing on AC website though.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

SFO<->YYZ is certainly going through some issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.