Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Thanks for the note. I have confirmation email from AC the itinerary has been cancelled; although I am still waiting for the actual refund (flight to/from HKG).
Expect to see the check in notice, flight delay notices, etc for flights that you have canceled. The systems at the back end at AC don't appear to talk to each other right now.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by economyplusfan
I have an “014” international ticket on AC, LX, and UA booked through Priceline prior to March 4. Am I correct that AC’s current change fee waiver applies? If so, travel starts prior to April 30, but ends in May. Does this qualify for the no change fee policy? Finally, would cancellation of any leg result in a refund of the entire fare?

I believe you are supposed to deal with Priceline. According to aircanada.com at least.

Which likely means you cannot make changes or cancel on aircanada.com.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
So my HAN-IST-YUL got messed up, the HAN-IST flight got changed for 2 days later but the IST-YUL portion stayed so that was now a nice full day misconnect.

When calling Aeroplan to fix they had to book a whole new flight so I am back on HAN-BKK-BRU-YUL (Thai up to BRU then AC). I really did not want to go to Europe but now I don't have many choices left.

Now let's see if I can actually make it back.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theBeachBoy
So my HAN-IST-YUL got messed up, the HAN-IST flight got changed for 2 days later but the IST-YUL portion stayed so that was now a nice full day misconnect.

When calling Aeroplan to fix they had to book a whole new flight so I am back on HAN-BKK-BRU-YUL (Thai up to BRU then AC). I really did not want to go to Europe but now I don't have many choices left.

Now let's see if I can actually make it back.
Did you/they check through TPE? That might jave been better.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by Stranger
I believe you are supposed to deal with Priceline. According to aircanada.com at least.

Which likely means you cannot make changes or cancel on aircanada.com.
Agreed. But Priceline says it abides by the carrier's policies, and these are what I am trying to get clear before calling.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:51 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
I have an “014” international ticket on AC, LX, and UA booked through Priceline prior to March 4. Am I correct that AC’s current change fee waiver applies? If so, travel starts prior to April 30, but ends in May. Does this qualify for the no change fee policy? Finally, would cancellation of any leg result in a refund of the entire fare?
If one leg of your travel is prior to April 30, your booking (as a whole) will be covered.

However, if any leg has been cancelled, it should give you the ability to get a full refund, so if that's what you want, I wouldn't even worry about the details of the waiver, just tell Priceline you want your money back.

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Expect to see the check in notice, flight delay notices, etc for flights that you have canceled. The systems at the back end at AC don't appear to talk to each other right now.
Nothing new there though, it was the same pre-Amadeus and pre-COVID
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
If one leg of your travel is prior to April 30, your booking (as a whole) will be covered.

However, if any leg has been cancelled, it should give you the ability to get a full refund, so if that's what you want, I wouldn't even worry about the details of the waiver, just tell Priceline you want your money back.

Nothing new there though, it was the same pre-Amadeus and pre-COVID
By "However, if any leg has been cancelled, it should give you the ability to get a full refund, so if that's what you want, I wouldn't even worry about the details of the waiver, just tell Priceline you want your money back."

Does this mean one can get money refunded on credit card instead of just getting the future travel credit? I think Air Canada is only offering future travel credit now. Would love to know how to get money refunded on credit card instead.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:16 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by alert
Does this mean one can get money refunded on credit card instead of just getting the future travel credit? I think Air Canada is only offering future travel credit now. Would love to know how to get money refunded on credit card instead.
Refund means refund to original form of payment, not travel credit.

They're still offering refunds for flights that are cancelled, according to their website, and I'm able to refund a booking where the return was cancelled.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:18 pm

Air Canada Full Refund Due to Canada/US border closing?

US and Canada boarder are closing to non-essential traffic. We have a flight to LAX with Air Canada next week.

Are we able to get a full refund to our credit card instead of just getting the future travel credit?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:23 pm

US and Canada boarder are closing to non-essential traffic.

We have a flight to LAX with Air Canada next week. Are we able to get a full refund to our credit card instead of just getting the future travel credit?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC 75K
As of today (March 18th) AC is closing some lounges and suspending the BMW service in YYZ.

The following facilities are temporarily closed:
  • All Maple Leaf Lounges at Toronto-Pearson (YYZ)
  • Maple Leaf Lounges at Ottawa (YOW), St-John’s (YYT), Regina (YQR) and Saskatoon (YXE)
  • Air Canada Café at Toronto-Pearson (YYZ)
  • Air Canada Signature Suite at Toronto-Pearson (YYZ)
  • London-Heathrow Arrivals Lounge (LHR)
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...g-changes.html
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
As of today (March 18th) AC is closing some lounges and suspending the BMW service in YYZ.

• Maple Leaf Lounges at Ottawa (YOW), St-John’s (YYT), Regina (YQR) and Saskatoon (YXE)
Interesting. So that leaves what, YVR Dom/Intl/SS, YYC, YEG, YHZ, LGA, LAX, FRA? Oh, and YWG? I wonder why those are open and the others closed. Although can't be long before flights to LGA, LAX, and FRA get cancelled and the MLLs close as a result.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330

Truly apocalyptic now. Though I wonder if the food will be better for the remaining days...
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Interesting. So that leaves what, YVR Dom/Intl/SS, YYC, YEG, YHZ, LGA, LAX, FRA? Oh, and YWG? I wonder why those are open and the others closed. Although can't be long before flights to LGA, LAX, and FRA get cancelled and the MLLs close as a result.
Just noticed I misread ChrisA330 's post, looks like LHR MLL is still open, just the arrivals lounge that's closed.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:33 pm

Are any flights from sun destinations being upgauged to handle the increased demand of vacationers coming home? Next PVR to YVR flight with seats is Tues Mar 24.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.