Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:54 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Surely given AC's financial position as stated on Monday, there is time to secure emergency financing from government to prevent that from happening. I can't imagine Ottawa lets AC or WS fail due to this pandemic, and Ottawa has plenty of fiscal capacity to prop them up until it has passed.

I guess I just don't see why such drastic action to withhold cash from customers is being taken not as a last resort, but as a first step.
There's a whole other thread for discussion of AC's financial position, potential for bail-out, etc: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...es-coming.html

Originally Posted by BML87
They have removed all of the other flights though.
You've checked all 94 other international destinations?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Post Guardian article on AC informing pax

The Guardian has this article https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...us-staff-risks
on how AC is handling information to pax regarding Covid-19.

Employees of Air Canada, the country’s largest airline, have said the company is not doing enough to inform customers and staff of their exposure to passengers infected with Covid-19.
As to cleanliness of cabin, I flew with AC last Sunday and the seat pocket and tablet retainer still contained dirty kleenexes.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
You may be able to phone and get changed to flights in May after service resumes, at no charge, but per what I posted above, looks like AC is moving away from refunds, undoubtedly in an effort to preserve its cash.
I managed to get through to Air Canada yesterday (~2pm PDT) and they were still allowing refunds. Or at least, I didn't have to fight at all to get my ticket refunded -- agent put me on hold for ~15min, and then I was told my refund would have to be processed manually as my itinerary is all sorts of screwed up -- so far does not appear to be any change in my PNR.

Mildly concerned, as departure date is in 3 days, so hopefully it comes through in the next couple of days.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Polytonic
I managed to get through to Air Canada yesterday (~2pm PDT) and they were still allowing refunds. Or at least, I didn't have to fight at all to get my ticket refunded -- agent put me on hold for ~15min, and then I was told my refund would have to be processed manually as my itinerary is all sorts of screwed up -- so far does not appear to be any change in my PNR.

Mildly concerned, as departure date is in 3 days, so hopefully it comes through in the next couple of days.
Good news on the refund

You've made the phone call, and there will definitely be a record of that, so I wouldn't worry too much, it should get processed eventually. They're dealing with excruciating volumes at the moment.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by respectable_man
The Guardian has this article https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...us-staff-risks
on how AC is handling information to pax regarding Covid-19.

As to cleanliness of cabin, I flew with AC last Sunday and the seat pocket and tablet retainer still contained dirty kleenexes.
@respectable_man
Thanks for sharing.

Wesley Lesosky, president of the Air Canada component of Canadian Union of Public Employees spoke with the CBC in an article from March 16, posted in this thread

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...thread-51.html

Based on the info in the Guardian article, it looks like he had more to say. Based on my HKG trips a few weeks ago, cabin crews told me they volunteered for the flights and no one forced them. In fact, on the first of 2 trips, we were delayed 45 minutes for a couple of things including waiting for masks and other medicals supplies to be boarded for the crews. On board, crews showed me their supplies of masks, gloves, wipes, sanitized bottles. They all seemed comfortable with their choice to fly.

Now that AC has so few flights going out, there are significantly less crews needed so perhaps that plus the media coverage will improve things for those crew who still choose to fly.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Remind me on the policy for difference in fare if a flight is cancelled? I have a booking YEG-YUL-LIM for April 9th and routing was changed to YEG-YYZ-YUL-LIM. The YUL-LIM flight no longer exists on April 9th (zeroed out on expert flyer) and it is no longer bookable on AC. I have been waiting as I have a bit to the travel date and the hold times are still very long even for the SE desk.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by capedreamer
For those who haven't already seen:
@capedreamer
Thanks for posting the AC News Release. I added to the wiki.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by BML87
They have removed all of the other flights though.
You've checked all 94 other international destinations?
For what it's worth, I checked a few other international destinations,and most are showing up as having no flights (MUC, CPH, SCL, SYD, BOG, BDA, NAS). However, MEX and CUN both gave me options on AC metal on a few dates in April. So I'd say give it some time and TPE will probably come down, along with those.

Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
Remind me on the policy for difference in fare if a flight is cancelled? I have a booking YEG-YUL-LIM for April 9th and routing was changed to YEG-YYZ-YUL-LIM. The YUL-LIM flight no longer exists on April 9th (zeroed out on expert flyer) and it is no longer bookable on AC. I have been waiting as I have a bit to the travel date and the hold times are still very long even for the SE desk.
Historically, you would get a refund, no problem. The website now suggests you'll get a travel credit good for 24 months, although someone reported still getting a refund a few hours ago. So, YMMV? Please let us know what you get if you do call
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:19 pm
Suspended

The media must have read the AC News Release

Global

https://globalnews.ca/news/6699594/c...canada-travel/

Also

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...ning-1.5502122

Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: AC E75K
For what it's worth, I checked a few other international destinations,and most are showing up as having no flights (MUC, CPH, SCL, SYD, BOG, BDA, NAS). However, MEX and CUN both gave me options on AC metal on a few dates in April. So I'd say give it some time and TPE will probably come down, along with those.
What dates? I'm booked on YYZ-MUC on May 2 (rebooked first from Mar 23, and then Apr 6), and it's showing as operating. Also just checked and apparently still able to buy a new ticket on it. Half expecting it to be cancelled soon but at this point, I'm in full ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ mode.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold

Historically, you would get a refund, no problem. The website now suggests you'll get a travel credit good for 24 months, although someone reported still getting a refund a few hours ago. So, YMMV? Please let us know what you get if you do call
The real unfortunate thing in all this is that I got a smoking deal on my April flights to Lima which is now $600 higher than it was in PY. Seems unlikely that I will get the fee difference waived with what is going on. Can't decide if I should rebook or wait...
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What dates? I'm booked on YYZ-MUC on May 2 (rebooked first from Mar 23, and then Apr 6), and it's showing as operating. Also just checked and apparently still able to buy a new ticket on it. Half expecting it to be cancelled soon but at this point, I'm in full ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ mode.
There are plenty of examples of cancelled flights with tickets still for sale. Being able to buy a ticket means nothing.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
There are plenty of examples of cancelled flights with tickets still for sale. Being able to buy a ticket means nothing.
Sure. Hence I'm curious what @Adam Smith meant by "checked a few other international destinations".
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:04 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I have a J award on AC2 HND-YYZ, Apr 1. The flight has been zeroed out so I assume it's a goner. Closest date where it's not gone is Mar 31. Is it likely they just change my booking to that automatically? Would they change me to NRT-YVR-YYZ on the same day? Or would they do nothing at all unless I call them?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:20 pm

The announcement on cutback of international service refers to April 1-30, so YYZ-MUC on May 2nd wouldn't be impacted by that announcement

That being said, certainly seems like there's a high chance it will end up on the chopping block eventually.

Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
The real unfortunate thing in all this is that I got a smoking deal on my April flights to Lima which is now $600 higher than it was in PY. Seems unlikely that I will get the fee difference waived with what is going on. Can't decide if I should rebook or wait...
In the early days of the waiver, they were focused on offering re-booking without ADCOL, but only within limited windows.

Many people were frustrated by that since they didn't want to have to commit to travelling to the affected destinations in such a short time. And many who re-booked are now going to have to be re-re-booked now. So AC seems to be emphasizing travel credits instead. It's generally more favourable to the customer and much simpler to administer.

But you could try digging around the latest versions and see if there's anything about re-booking without fare difference if you do it short-term. I haven't seen it, but doesn't mean for sure that it doesn't exist.

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I have a J award on AC2 HND-YYZ, Apr 1. The flight has been zeroed out so I assume it's a goner. Closest date where it's not gone is Mar 31. Is it likely they just change my booking to that automatically? Would they change me to NRT-YVR-YYZ on the same day? Or would they do nothing at all unless I call them?
Good question. I think AC's re-booking engine generally emphasizes re-booking from the same airport, so March 31 HND-YYZ seems more likely than April 1 NRT-YVR-YYZ, but the third option (not doing anything) is also plausible. Let us know what you find out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.