Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Sure. Hence I'm curious what @Adam Smith meant by "checked a few other international destinations".
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-notifier.html has numerous examples of people reporting that I'm able to notify them of schedule changes (and now cancellations) before it shows up on their booking, even when the old flight is still for sale.

Off the top of my head, I can think of four different publicly accessible sources of information on AC flights, and they have delays of hours to days between them. (One of the sources is the PDF timetable, but I'm not factoring in that propagation delay because it's super slow)

I've seen instances where EF says a flight doesn't exist, but AC is still selling it. I've seen cases where AC says it's not operating but EF shows it, possibly zeroed out.

Depending on where you're looking, you'll see different things. But the last place that gets updated seems to be individual PNRs.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:37 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But the last place that gets updated seems to be individual PNRs.
... and (almost) the first is the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-notifier.html
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It's in capedreamer's post with today's update, the one that I replied to. But here you go anyway https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020...ID-19-Response
Nice. This is a forced loan on AC's part. They take your money for a pending service, cancel the service, and instead promise to deliver it in 24 months.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
Nice. This is a forced loan on AC's part. They take your money for a pending service, cancel the service, and instead promise to deliver it in 24 months.
Yeah, kind of like United's 25-hour window for re-booking, or many of the European airlines trying to get away with vouchers instead of refunds, and so on... See a trend?

WS is also putting credits in people's travel banks rather than doing refunds, by the way.

Not saying it's right, but it's very clear why they're doing it, and without some EU261-type legislation, they'll probably keep pushing it.

And even if governments push the airlines on this, it will only add to the amount of dollars they claim they need in a bailout.

Not an easy situation.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Stranger
Did you/they check through TPE? That might jave been better.
Aeroplan showed a HAN-TPE-YVR-YUL that I wanted to take. The agent could not book the TPE-YVR leg. After over 30 minutes on hold for her to talk to reservations she said I would have been on a waitlist...

That is kinda weird since I was able to book it on the app, but she said if I had done so I would have been waitlisted too?

I never heard of that but I didn't want to take a chance so we took the BRU route
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:27 pm

The full list of suspensions is now posted: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...na-travel.html

They may still be working on it as there are separate sections for International, Atlantica Pacific & South America. The "international" section should probably be consolidated into the others as the routes don't overlap.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
So if I read this right the 22 Canadian markets cut are:
  • Baie Comeau
  • Bathurst
  • Castlegar
  • Comox
  • Cranbrook
  • Gaspe
  • Iles de-la-Madeleine
  • Kamloops
  • Kingston
  • Lethbridge
  • Medicine Hat
  • Mont-Tremblant
  • North Bay
  • Penticton
  • Prince Rupert
  • Rouyn-Noranda
  • Sandspit
  • Sarnia
  • Sept Iles
  • Smithers
  • Val d'Or
  • Windsor

Last edited by YYC009; Mar 19, 2020 at 2:51 am
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
So Calgary looses all international and transborder markets. Only domestic routes.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
Exclamation AC changes to in-flight service effective immediately

AC is transitioning to pre-package meals (?) and water only for those flights that have meal service, including in Signature Service:

https://www.aircanada.com/uk/en/aco/...g-changes.html

I note they warn that F&B services at airports may be limited. Flying LHR-YYZ-YWG on Sunday, so will report back. Perhaps anyone flying today or tomorrow could report whether it is the normal or reduced service.

Last edited by JTXC; Mar 19, 2020 at 5:36 am
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:18 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YYC009
So Calgary looses all international and transborder markets. Only domestic routes.
Yup

With crude at barely over US$20 a barrel, demand out of YYC is undoubtedly going to be hit even harder than elsewhere.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: AC E75K
Yeah, kind of like United's 25-hour window for re-booking, or many of the European airlines trying to get away with vouchers instead of refunds, and so on... See a trend?

WS is also putting credits in people's travel banks rather than doing refunds, by the way.

Not saying it's right, but it's very clear why they're doing it, and without some EU261-type legislation, they'll probably keep pushing it.

And even if governments push the airlines on this, it will only add to the amount of dollars they claim they need in a bailout.

Not an easy situation.
We're going to see more and more airlines move towards cash flow conservation mode. Not customer friendly, but a reasonable business decision given the circumstances. A bit like a bank trying to prevent a run.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
But you could try digging around the latest versions and see if there's anything about re-booking without fare difference if you do it short-term. I haven't seen it, but doesn't mean for sure that it doesn't exist.
Where would one suggest looking?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
Where would one suggest looking?
There's a whole section of the Air Canada website dedicated to this that has a bunch of information.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../covid-19.html
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)

Not an easy situation.
So just to be clear, if AC cancels a flight we won't get a full refund but instead get a travel voucher?

And we wont win if we do a chargeback?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:39 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by supatight80
So just to be clear, if AC cancels a flight we won't get a full refund but instead get a travel voucher?

And we wont win if we do a chargeback?
Let's go to the source to see what will happen (bolding mine):

For flight cancellations, we will contact you via the email address or phone number you provided when you booked your flight.

At a later time, when you decide you want to travel, you can apply your credit to a future booking. Please call Air Canada at 1-888-247-2262 to book your new flight with your credit.

If you decide to have your credit refunded to the original payment method, please fill out the refund form and submit it hereExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines..

For any other questions or for actions regarding your upcoming travel, please visit our Customer Support Page.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ncelled-flight

I would also suggest just logging into your booking to see what options are provided.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.