Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:40 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
They have added a message from Calin rovinescu on aircanada.com:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...rom-calin.html
They sent this as an e-mail yesterday. I assumed everyone here would have gotten it. The day after WS sent a very similar e-mail.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
They sent this as an e-mail yesterday. I assumed everyone here would have gotten it. The day after WS sent a very similar e-mail.
I did not get the e-mail. Could be that it's due to some Preferences settings in my account.

They have also consolidated and perhaps reformulated the various web pages on the issue.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Might be too soon to tell, but does this new policy allow older tickets to be extended to December 31, 2020? I don't see the "one year after issue" verbiage that I see on some of the US airlines. I have a grandfathered 3-stop trip that was booked in August and I might need to push it out.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
So I've got an Aeroplan booking to Europe in mid-April that I'm going to cancel. I'm wondering if as an SE there are any good reasons for me to take advantage of the free change (as I get as an SE anyway) to a speculative date in the future vs just cancelling for now and rebooking at a later date once my plans are more firm?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
My understanding is that all foreign nationals who have been in the Schengen area in the last 14 days will not be permitted entry.

This is going to be a nightmare for AC to enforce. When I was flying back from Asia in February they were checking US passsport holders to make sure they were not in China. Now AC needs to check any non-US passport holder to make sure they were not in the Schengen area in 14 days or they will be denied entry by US CPB. With preclearance in Canadian airports whomever they miss won't have to be flown home, but the EU-YYZ/YUL/YVR-US connections are going to be a huge logistical nightmare to verify.
Yes, my understanding as well and I agree it should be easy to enforce. But this will only take effect tomorrow, will it? Or do you think US CPB would turn me away if I flew today or tomorrow morning? I am not sure if I want to travel anyways and am just trying to consider my options.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:36 pm

News out of the Czech Republic: https://www.radio.cz/en/section/news...m-friday-night

Notably, "Foreigners will not be able to enter the Czech Republic from Germany and Austria." Anyone have an upcoming flight to PRG through FRA or VIE? No doubt airlines are hearing about this just as we are. I wonder what will happen to those codeshares, or when.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by mathemagic
News out of the Czech Republic: https://www.radio.cz/en/section/news...m-friday-night

Notably, "Foreigners will not be able to enter the Czech Republic from Germany and Austria." Anyone have an upcoming flight to PRG through FRA or VIE? No doubt airlines are hearing about this just as we are. I wonder what will happen to those codeshares, or when.
I don't think anything would happen to the code shares. It is just a very dramatic change in the rules on the flight. Basically you would have to have a Czech passport to fly on the route.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:27 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I don't think anything would happen to the code shares.
If LH/LX/OS cancels the operating flight, the codeshare will also be cancelled...

They will undoubtedly cut capacity dramatically.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
If LH/LX/OS cancels the operating flight, the codeshare will also be cancelled...

They will undoubtedly cut capacity dramatically.
Agreed the codeshare on the flight will come and go with the physical flight. I don't they are going to remove the codeshare if the flight is still flying.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Agreed the codeshare on the flight will come and go with the physical flight. I don't they are going to remove the codeshare if the flight is still flying.
With a search, the flights from YYZ to PRG via FRA and VIE have disappeared.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
What happens to half flown tickets? Still a free change for the return? Fare difference?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by milesforhire
Might be too soon to tell, but does this new policy allow older tickets to be extended to December 31, 2020? I don't see the "one year after issue" verbiage that I see on some of the US airlines. I have a grandfathered 3-stop trip that was booked in August and I might need to push it out.
I'm wondering the exact same thing.
If anyone has any info on this.. please share!
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott, SPG
I had flights booked from PEK to YVR 14/03-28/03 originally on AC but they rebooked me onto CA with a stop in ICN.... I had to rebook as my wife is in quarantine and she also needs a visa to transit ICN. I was prepared for a long arduous process of rebooking but I managed to get through on the phone in under 5 mins and had the entire booking changed to June. The whole process took less than 10 minutes!

- I should mention that I called the Beijing number and got an agent who could speak English quite well.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:17 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Slightly annoying to me that seat selection fees are part of the non-refundable items. My university has just banned all travel, was supposed to leave for PTP April 1 for 2 month internship and then present my PhD results in NCE in June at a conference.

None of those have L3 advisory so far so can only change for now. Interestingly, even though both tickets are economy standard I am getting a much bigger chunk of money back from NCE rather than PTP ($600 vs $150) which I find strange (fare classes? Rogue vs mainline?)

I will get most of it reimbursed via the university but the seat selection thing irks me for some reason.

And to add to the fun, there are no YUL-PTP on the timetable after April 29th but there is a PTP-YUL starting May 2nd on A321. I cannot even change the initial YUL-PTP April 1st date past April 29th even thought here obviously has to be a YUL-PTP A321 flight starting in may which is what I would change it to using my one free change. What a mess.

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Mar 13, 2020 at 6:58 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by streetcircusdan
AC038 MEL to YVR had a nearly full J cabin today. Australian travel doesn't seem affected, yet.
I think there are a lot of people just trying to get home. AC38 for March 14 was wide open in J and PE a couple of days ago, now completely booked solid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.