Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: AC SE 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
So city of Toronto is asking anyone arriving from outside of Canada to self isolate for 14 days and the Canadian government has a similar recommendation. How is AC supposed to get crews for flights? Assume that anyone here that wants to live by the guidance is stuck here for 14 days at a time. Time to just shutdown the flights?
Health authorities have given specific waivers to airline crews from the 14 day recommendation.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
In the past hour on the BBC and other sites:

"Spain set to declare national lockdown"

AC836 to MAD on Sunday is still showing as scheduled.

Last edited by 24left; Mar 14, 2020 at 11:10 am Reason: grammar
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Is there a running list of the cancelled AC flights?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
Is there a running list of the cancelled AC flights?
Good question. Were it only that simple that AC could keep up with changes to the world order.

Looking at the AC page "COVID-19 Updates"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../covid-19.html

I note that the last update to the Route Suspension page was March 3

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...na-travel.html

The last update to the page "Government-imposed entry requirements" was March 4

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...uirements.html

I think in terms of keeping up with country changes, the media or IATA etc might be better.

This was posted upthread at least once. They have the March 13 update for New Zealand but nothing yet for Spain

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by 24left
In the past hour on the BBC and other sites:

"Spain set to declare national lockdown"

AC836 to MAD on Sunday is still showing as scheduled.
I think they just cancelled MAD flights until May. I had a flight to MAD booked at the end of April that I hadn't cancelled yet. Just received a schedule change (rebooked via MUC), logged in online and was able to cancel with no penalty.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Taking to someone who is trying to get out of Tel Aviv, only interested in the direct flights (which are suspended as of the 17th). Has a cheap fare on some future date (didn't ask the date). Flight loads are zero across the board. Tomorrow's flight only shows two people on the wait list at this point in time, but I believe if it's oversold those with a ticket but no seat don't show on this. So: is there any point in the individual going to the airport to try to get on? Or is that just dreaming in Technicolour?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
I think they just cancelled MAD flights until May. I had a flight to MAD booked at the end of April that I hadn't cancelled yet. Just received a schedule change (rebooked via MUC), logged in online and was able to cancel with no penalty.
You did not get a note saying its sent for manual processing?
"Your refund request has successfully been submitted for processing. Please allow 10 business days for manual processing to be completed and to see your mileage reinstated in your account."
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PB53x11
Taking to someone who is trying to get out of Tel Aviv, only interested in the direct flights (which are suspended as of the 17th). Has a cheap fare on some future date (didn't ask the date). Flight loads are zero across the board. Tomorrow's flight only shows two people on the wait list at this point in time, but I believe if it's oversold those with a ticket but no seat don't show on this. So: is there any point in the individual going to the airport to try to get on? Or is that just dreaming in Technicolour?
TLV-YYZ on the 14th departed pretty full.
15th is full.
16th is full.
17th is a full 77W.

I don't think going to the airport is ever the best way to change your flight, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to work here.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
TLV-YYZ on the 14th departed pretty full.
15th is full.
16th is full.
17th is a full 77W.

I don't think going to the airport is ever the best way to change your flight, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to work here.
Right, but these aren't normal times. I don't think phoning will work for a no-status person. And 15th is booked full and presumably oversold but if there are enough no-shows wouldn't AC put her on the flight? I mean, if she'd been able to get there today, it departed "pretty darn full": all she needs is one seat ...
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PB53x11
Right, but these aren't normal times. I don't think phoning will work for a no-status person. And 15th is booked full and presumably oversold but if there are enough no-shows wouldn't AC put her on the flight? I mean, if she'd been able to get there today, it departed "pretty darn full": all she needs is one seat ...
You're assuming contract staff will be able to handle a ticketing matter, even if they want to.

This isn't YYZ, it's TLV.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:25 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
You did not get a note saying its sent for manual processing?
"Your refund request has successfully been submitted for processing. Please allow 10 business days for manual processing to be completed and to see your mileage reinstated in your account."
This was a revenue booking, not Aeroplan. My message was:

We're sorry to see you go. Your flight to Madrid (MAD) has been cancelled, and you will receive a refund for $xx.xx, credited to the original form of payment.
Please allow a minimum of three weeks (unless otherwise stated by applicable law) for your refund to be processed. You will receive an email confirmation once your refund has been processed.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
This was a revenue booking, not Aeroplan. My message was:

We're sorry to see you go. Your flight to Madrid (MAD) has been cancelled, and you will receive a refund for $xx.xx, credited to the original form of payment.
Please allow a minimum of three weeks (unless otherwise stated by applicable law) for your refund to be processed. You will receive an email confirmation once your refund has been processed.
I see, thanks for the info.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:59 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, Marriott Gold
The GoC now states to avoid all non-essential travel outside of the country (Level 3):

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/heal...th-notices/221

If you take a flight out of the country, I guess you should check your travel insurance for a related exclusion.

Is AC compelled to give refunds for upcoming flights in this case?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, Marriott Platinum... Previously AC*SE100K, Star Alliance Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador
My YYZ-DXB AC56 flight on Apr20 was just cancelled by Air Canada
They rebooked me on a flight to FRA, but no Frankfurt to Dubai
Been on hold with the 100K line for 30min and still no one
At least I booked flexible fare...
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cager
My YYZ-DXB AC56 flight on Apr20 was just cancelled by Air Canada
They rebooked me on a flight to FRA, but no Frankfurt to Dubai
Been on hold with the 100K line for 30min and still no one
At least I booked flexible fare...
No matter what fare that is grounds for full refund if you don't want to rebook or other accommodation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.