Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Centurion
I am scheduled to fly next week and want to take advantage of the offer to rebook. I booked my flights in January and will be flying next week so I believe I can take advantage of the offer to rebook without incurring change fees.

But when I go online, the only other dates I can select are 3 days either side of my booking. The arrow to click right and bring up the next week of availability does not work and I have tried this on 4 browsers across 2 PCs. Anyone have any advice here?

Of course I have tried calling but I can't even get placed on hold due to the high call volume.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:16 am
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Route suspension to/from TLV

Flights to/from Israel Due to Israeli government regulations and ongoing health and safety concerns, Air Canada will temporarily suspend its daily service between Canada and Israel as of March 17. Our last flight to Tel Aviv will depart Toronto on the evening of March 16 and the last flight returning to Toronto from Tel Aviv will be March 17. At present, we plan to resume operations March 31 from Toronto with four-times weekly service . We continue to monitor this situation and evaluate conditions prior to resuming service. Air Canada’s current service to Israel consists of daily return flights between Toronto and Tel Aviv. Affected customers will be notified and offered travel options, including a full refund. Customers can also obtain information and change their travel plans with no change fee through the Air Canada website.
Source: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...na-travel.html

FYI
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From today's globe:

Transport Minister Marc Garneau said Canada will restrict international flights coming into Canada to a smaller number of airports in response to the COVID-19 outbreak, saying officials are still working out the details.
Which might affect a few international flights, maybe to YOW and YEG, but should mostly affect transborder flights. Makes lots of since since we'll likely be getting more cases coming from the US in the coming days or weeks.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: hahaha
Like clockwork, Air Canada app spammed me with emails and notifications that a bunch of flights got modified. This was around noon MDT.

Amidst the carnage, my 0600 SJC-YVR flight got canned, consolidating to one of the later flights in the day now, which is fine.

Trying to figure out what other consolidations there are but the website won't load.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:38 pm

One of the flights from Houston to YUL has been cancelled, the 8:30am one. I'm scheduled to connect there a month from now from Lima and I just got rescheduled for a later flight.

Given the connecting flight is now 3hrs later than when I was suppose to arrive, does that qualify for compensation under the new rules? I wouldn't think so given its most likely coronavirus related but wanted to check!
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by elenea86
One of the flights from Houston to YUL has been cancelled, the 8:30am one. I'm scheduled to connect there a month from now from Lima and I just got rescheduled for a later flight.

Given the connecting flight is now 3hrs later than when I was suppose to arrive, does that qualify for compensation under the new rules? I wouldn't think so given its most likely coronavirus related but wanted to check!
Even if this weren’t corona virus it wouldn’t be eligible for comp. Even if the more generous EU rules applied it wouldn’t be eligible as this is a schedule change (we’ll in advance if departure) not a flight delay.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by elenea86

Would you have the option to cancel for a full refund?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:29 pm

Cancelled 2 aeroplan award flights online, got full refunds (miles instantly), $0 charge, very easy. Cancelled 4/28 ORD-FCO and 5/14 ZRH-ORD.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:43 pm

Programs: Mileage plus
Hello,

if I cancel a trip for which there was a flight number change, will I be eligible for a refund? Thought it might be a trick to get a refund. Otherwise, if I get a credit, will it be transferrable to someone else?

thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by 49penguins
Cancelled 2 aeroplan award flights online, got full refunds (miles instantly), $0 charge, very easy. Cancelled 4/28 ORD-FCO and 5/14 ZRH-ORD.
That's more than 30 days from now. Is there an option to withdraw the cancellation if a charge shows up. I have a segment IAD-CPH on 4/18 .
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:16 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I guess this means AKL seasonal flight is done for
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Phone lines seem to be around two hours long now.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I guess this means AKL seasonal flight is done for
Most likely unless you want to go through mandatory self-quarantine.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:07 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
So city of Toronto is asking anyone arriving from outside of Canada to self isolate for 14 days and the Canadian government has a similar recommendation. How is AC supposed to get crews for flights? Assume that anyone here that wants to live by the guidance is stuck here for 14 days at a time. Time to just shutdown the flights?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
So city of Toronto is asking anyone arriving from outside of Canada to self isolate for 14 days and the Canadian government has a similar recommendation. How is AC supposed to get crews for flights? Assume that anyone here that wants to live by the guidance is stuck here for 14 days at a time. Time to just shutdown the flights?
Like the virus, the news seems to get exponentially worse on a daily basis. At one point, one has to wonder if airline crews could be good carriers for the virus.

LOT shut down. Who knows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.