Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Class action lawsuit filed in Quebec against Air Transat and Air Canada. Go get them!

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/500...jPqrB3RM2ltu3c
Can you translate a summary?

Edit: Google Translate on my phone. It's over the lack of refunds.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:48 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dkc192
Sure. It was LAX-YYZ-FRA-BRU; PMI-MUC-YYZ-LAX. PMI-MUC has been cancelled according to the AC PNR. MUC-YYZ is no longer showing up in the GDS but the cancellation hasn't been reflected in the PNR yet. LAX-YYZ and YYZ-LAX have had schedule changes that show in the GDS but not the PNR.

How would you recommend I "escalate" at AC? The supervisor did seem familiar with AC's internal EC261 policy (per my web link a few posts up), but she also directed me to contact customer relations, implying that reservations agents do not handle matters to do with EC261. But maybe this stance will change with a different agent and/or once the AC PNR actually reflects the cancelled MUC-YYZ.
To be honest, getting the callback from a supervisor was escalating and I thought that would do the trick for you.

Odd that AC thinks EU261 wouldn't apply. I don't think they're correct on that, although I'm not an EU261 expert, but I don't think they'll be able to get out of it once their system processes the cancellation of MUC-YYZ. Once that happens, you would hopefully find an easier time invoking that to get refunded.

So you can give it a day or whatever for it to clear through AC's systems and try again (and chance of success should probably be higher) or go the chargeback route. I'd probably try AC again just because it's likely to be quicker.

Originally Posted by Sailor-man
I actually haven’t been notified yet by Air Canada that it’s cancelled, but their update on March 17th says flights YYZ to VIE are “suspended” until April 30th. I presume they will eventually tell me it’s cancelled. My booking still shows as the flight is a go. The cancel option says I get a credit good until March 31, 2021. That’s less than 12 months.

I'm thinking I should just wait for AC’s notification since the flight is booked for April 25th and see what they say.
The website is definitely wrong and just probably hasn't caught up. You'll either be entitled to your money back or the 24-month credit. I believe the suspension was announced on the 18th, so you should be good to get the refund. Probably best just to wait for now, let the system update itself.

Originally Posted by supatight80
Just to be clear.. If a flight is canceled and a ticket says refundable but with a penalty of 44$, that entire ticket price (less 44$) can still be refunded?

Or thats not an option anymore with the new rules set on March 19?

Coz I got an email just now from AC with the whole 24 months future travel credit. No mention of ability to refund. But my original e-ticket email says can be refunded but with a penalty of 44$
​​​​​​
$44 is an odd fee to pay to make a fare refundable. But there are fares in otherwise usually non-refundable fare classes that can be refunded less a penalty. Can you share more about the routing and the fare rules?

But if your ticket was refundable less $44, as ChrisA330 said, it's refundable for less than $44.

If you want to not pay the $44, then the question is whether your flight was cancelled before or after the 19th. If before, you're entitled to a full refund, if after, you could get the 24-month credit for the entire amount.

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Class action lawsuit filed in Quebec against Air Transat and Air Canada. Go get them!
Quebec definitely has more consumer-friendly consumer protection laws than the other provinces. If the plaintiffs win this case, it will be interesting to see whether it will be applicable across the country, either because that's where AC/TS HQs are, or because other courts use it as a precedent, or whether it's something that only benefits Quebec residents.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Seems to be an issue at the other 'national carrier'.

https://dailyhive.com/mapped/westjet...TR8HHnxxpyYNJE
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Seems to be an issue at the other 'national carrier'.

https://dailyhive.com/mapped/westjet...TR8HHnxxpyYNJE
Thanks for the link I've pointed this out upthread as well, WS started it a few days ago.

And LX has just refused to provide me with a refund (for something where EU261 requires them to provide it) and told me to call back after December 31, 2020 to have it processed. Pretty brazen given the EU just issued guidance two days ago telling airlines to cut the voucher BS and give people their refunds.

The last policy of UA's that I saw was also that they would give you a refund, but not for a year (you could use it as a travel credit during that period).

So AC is far from alone in this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
$44 is an odd fee to pay to make a fare refundable. But there are fares in otherwise usually non-refundable fare classes that can be refunded less a penalty. Can you share more about the routing and the fare rules?

But if your ticket was refundable less $44, as ChrisA330 said, it's refundable for less than $44.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:10 pm

One of my domestic flights just got cancelled and my ticket rebooked. The cancellation options before and after this happened remained the same. An $1,800 ticket offered option 1: $94.40 to original payment, and option 2: full value travel credit for 24 months.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by supatight80
<image deleted>
Interesting. So the tickets are definitely refundable for $44 per person. Out of curiosity, what's the route? YVR-???

You'll have to decide how much hassle it's worth to save that $44 fee (x however many pax are on the booking). For a ticket that's refundable, generally AC processes refunds to credit cards fairly quickly. If your flight was cancelled before the 19th, you'll be entitled to a full refund, but have to phone in to the AC call centre to get your money back (and it probably won't go back to your credit card any quicker than requesting it online). Or you can go the chargeback route and see what that brings (and one possibility is that AC tells Amex they'll accept the chargeback less the $44 refund fee).
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:20 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Thanks for the link I've pointed this out upthread as well, WS started it a few days ago.

And LX has just refused to provide me with a refund (for something where EU261 requires them to provide it) and told me to call back after December 31, 2020 to have it processed. Pretty brazen given the EU just issued guidance two days ago telling airlines to cut the voucher BS and give people their refunds.

The last policy of UA's that I saw was also that they would give you a refund, but not for a year (you could use it as a travel credit during that period).

So AC is far from alone in this.
This has been my experience as well. Saw a research report that estimated the LH Group's current refund obligations at EUR 6 billion. So not surprising to see every airline increasingly keen to manage for liquidity.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Interesting. So the tickets are definitely refundable for $44 per person. Out of curiosity, what's the route? YVR-???

You'll have to decide how much hassle it's worth to save that $44 fee (x however many pax are on the booking). For a ticket that's refundable, generally AC processes refunds to credit cards fairly quickly. If your flight was cancelled before the 19th, you'll be entitled to a full refund, but have to phone in to the AC call centre to get your money back (and it probably won't go back to your credit card any quicker than requesting it online). Or you can go the chargeback route and see what that brings (and one possibility is that AC tells Amex they'll accept the chargeback less the $44 refund fee).
I never said I was going to do a chargeback with AC. In fact I have no plans to (unless they decide to not give me my refund owed and decide to give me a travel credit instead)

But regardless, the 24 month credit doesn't sit well with me if an airline initiated the cancelation. Refundable ticket or not.

On a brighter note, I have done chargebacks with 3 EU airlines on intra-EU flights due to COVID. EU 261 is really your friend.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
This has been my experience as well. Saw a research report that estimated the LH Group's current refund obligations at EUR 6 billion. So not surprising to see every airline increasingly keen to manage for liquidity.
AC has roughly that amount in cash and short term investments. A quarter's worth of revenue is less at say $5B. But with few buying tickets for a good quarter, let's say, and all those "refunds" on top. Back of the envelope says they're be in big trouble. This strategy might be enough to avoid insolvency.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Can you translate a summary?

Edit: Google Translate on my phone. It's over the lack of refunds.
This action is on behalf of “all physical persons having bought or holding a ticket or package with Air Transat, Transat Tours, Air Canada or the Touram subsidiary who has to subsequently cancel the ticket or package because of the covid-19 pandemic and who could not obtain the refund of said ticket or package”.

Item P5 is a bill to the amount of close to $13000 for a package in Florida for the plaintiff and his wife, bought in June 2019. The place and time of the package were essential conditions to the purchase of said package, and is a contract under consumer law. The flight was to take place this coming April and has been cancelled. The guy want all his $$ back, whereas Transat only offers a credit. Then there’s the usual blah blah about inconveniences and worries etc. Paragraph 21 quotes from the AC website regarding the credit rather than the reimbursement.

Last edited by respectable_man; Mar 20, 2020 at 8:01 pm
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:36 pm

I've got some good news for you all, finally.

After a week of trying to get through to AC via Facebook, Twitter, email, and phone (where I only ever got the message that there were too many callers, and didn't even get put on hold), I finally managed to get put on hold this afternoon.

After spending an hour and a half on hold, someone answered, and then almost immediately hung up on me, before I'd even explained why I was calling.

About an hour later I called again and got through after about 45 minutes.

This time, I asked the person to escalate due to the previous person hanging up on me, and he filled out the form for me and I'm expecting a call back in the next 24-48 hours.

Then, after we'd filled out that form, I asked if he could help with cancelling my flights.

He said sure, I gave him the three confirmation codes.

The codes were for two domestic flights (outbound 24/03, inbound 30/03) that have been cancelled, and one transborder US flight (outbound 02/04, inbound 07/04) that as of now has only had a minor schedule change.

These were all non-refundable bookings, in Economy Standard.

He put me on hold and came back to confirm that all four bookings will be refunded fully to my credit card, and I have received email confirmations of all four.

Only minor issue is he said the refund could take up to 50 (!) days to arrive, due to how busy they are.

That could be an issue if AC actually ends up going out of business, but in the end, a good result.

Looks like it could be a case of needing to be persistant, and hanging up and calling again to get a helpful customer service person might be good.

It could also be a case of needing to sound like you know your rights and expect a refund, not the credit being offered.

Having a story of how difficult it has been to reach them might be helpful too.

Ironically, AC got back to me on Twitter about 20 minutes after I hung up the phone - telling me that it looked like all my reservations were already cancelled (nice to have a second confirmation, but awful timing).

-Peter

TLDR:

Successfully got a refund for four non-refundable flights.
Two domestic had been cancelled.
Two transborder had only had minor changes.
Don't take the credit - show them you expect a refund.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by peteremcc
I've got some good news for you all, finally.

After a week of trying to get through to AC via Facebook, Twitter, email, and phone (where I only ever got the message that there were too many callers, and didn't even get put on hold), I finally managed to get put on hold this afternoon.

After spending an hour and a half on hold, someone answered, and then almost immediately hung up on me, before I'd even explained why I was calling.

About an hour later I called again and got through after about 45 minutes.

This time, I asked the person to escalate due to the previous person hanging up on me, and he filled out the form for me and I'm expecting a call back in the next 24-48 hours.

Then, after we'd filled out that form, I asked if he could help with cancelling my flights.

He said sure, I gave him the three confirmation codes.

The codes were for two domestic flights (outbound 24/03, inbound 30/03) that have been cancelled, and one transborder US flight (outbound 02/04, inbound 07/04) that as of now has only had a minor schedule change.

These were all non-refundable bookings, in Economy Standard.

He put me on hold and came back to confirm that all four bookings will be refunded fully to my credit card, and I have received email confirmations of all four.

Only minor issue is he said the refund could take up to 50 (!) days to arrive, due to how busy they are.

That could be an issue if AC actually ends up going out of business, but in the end, a good result.

Looks like it could be a case of needing to be persistant, and hanging up and calling again to get a helpful customer service person might be good.

It could also be a case of needing to sound like you know your rights and expect a refund, not the credit being offered.

Having a story of how difficult it has been to reach them might be helpful too.

Ironically, AC got back to me on Twitter about 20 minutes after I hung up the phone - telling me that it looked like all my reservations were already cancelled (nice to have a second confirmation, but awful timing).

-Peter

TLDR:

Successfully got a refund for four non-refundable flights.
Two domestic had been cancelled.
Two transborder had only had minor changes.
Don't take the credit - show them you expect a refund.
50 days sounds nuts. My PNR is still showing up online, despite having been told the refund paperwork being put in, and I'm starting to get emails from NH/SQ for those segments.

Considering I can no longer enter/exit Canada with the new restrictions ... am I just SOL if AC decides to renege on this?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:41 am

Programs: AC SE

Here is a route you don’t see every day…
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Here is a route you don’t see every day…
Repatriation flight ? Who will get to sit in business class ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.