Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2020, 9:51 am

AC cancelled ZAG service for this entire year...such a shame! I mean, it was operated by Rouge, but at least we had direct flights between YYZ and ZAG...not sure if that was the right move, I still believe Canadians will coming to Croatia for vacation this year...However, Air Transat still have scheduled flights from July...
Old May 23, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
TPE

I was surprised to discover that AC also cancelled its YVR-TPE service through until March 2021 i.e. so much for non stop service for Chinese New Year!
Old May 23, 2020, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Anyone hear of any US flight changes? They're still selling starting Monday, but the border closure seems to have been extended.
Canadians are allowed to enter the US by air *
The decisions to cancel transborder flights by AC (and others) have always been purely economical based on demand.

*provided you havent been to Europe/China/etc in last 14 days, and you quarantine when you return

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...21/5222731002/
The U.S. and Canada first limited travel in March for a period of 30 days after President Donald Trump and Trudeau agreed to close the border to help contain the spread of coronavirus. The State Department said that the order "does not apply to air, rail, or sea travel at this time, but does apply to commuter rail and ferry travel."
Old May 23, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Originally Posted by tracon
If rebooking with a travel credit, does that mean credit card travel insurance is no longer valid?
Base on my understanding, most credit card insurance will cover you if the entire price of the ticket is charged on that credit card. Therefore, a credit voucher would not get the insurance coverage. The question is if the original payment was the credit card and has since turned into the voucher, would the original payment still apply? It is a grey area. Even before COVID, how would a situation like this be handled?
Old May 23, 2020, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Canadians are allowed to enter the US by air *
The decisions to cancel transborder flights by AC (and others) have always been purely economical based on demand.

*provided you havent been to Europe/China/etc in last 14 days, and you quarantine when you return

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...21/5222731002/
The U.S. and Canada first limited travel in March for a period of 30 days after President Donald Trump and Trudeau agreed to close the border to help contain the spread of coronavirus. The State Department said that the order "does not apply to air, rail, or sea travel at this time, but does apply to commuter rail and ferry travel."
I'm not concerned about the regulations - I'm a citizen of one and a resident of the other. I'm allowed in. I'm more concerned about flights, but it seems they are keeping limit routes running, even with the border closure extended.
Old May 23, 2020, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I'm not concerned about the regulations - I'm a citizen of one and a resident of the other. I'm allowed in. I'm more concerned about flights, but it seems they are keeping limit routes running, even with the border closure extended.
There are many daily flights between Canada and US, they never stopped.....
Old May 23, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Transborder flights were completely halted from April 27-May 22. They’ve only restarted to 6 US cities...not sure I would classify the current service as many daily flights.
Old May 23, 2020, 1:00 pm

We are in the Air Canada forum, in a thread about AC route cancellations, so I am obviously talking about Air Canada, which suspended all transborder flights for roughly one month.
Old May 23, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
The question is if the original payment was the credit card and has since turned into the voucher, would the original payment still apply? It is a grey area. Even before COVID, how would a situation like this be handled?
I've been denied by Chase Sapphire and Amex if I used funds from a cancelled flight to book a new one which later had a disruption.

One of them I argued successfully because it was not really cancelled and rebooked.. It remained the same PNR, just a complete routing and date change. I had to show them the paper trail.

I now make sure at least one of our family tickets are bought entirely with new funds for coverage now. Works well since 2 adults and a child can't ALWAYS spend the whole $1500 (3 separate $500 claims for overnight rooms/clothes/car/meals).

​​​​​​One factor that I hadn't seen mentioned regarding the new policy of AC allowing cancelled ticket funds to be deposited as Aeroplan miles is the loss of earning potential for AQM/AQD in that situation.
Old May 23, 2020, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
I've been denied by Chase Sapphire and Amex if I used funds from a cancelled flight to book a new one which later had a disruption.

One of them I argued successfully because it was not really cancelled and rebooked.. It remained the same PNR, just a complete routing and date change. I had to show them the paper trail.

I now make sure at least one of our family tickets are bought entirely with new funds for coverage now. Works well since 2 adults and a child can't ALWAYS spend the whole $1500 (3 separate $500 claims for overnight rooms/clothes/car/meals).

​​​​​​One factor that I hadn't seen mentioned regarding the new policy of AC allowing cancelled ticket funds to be deposited as Aeroplan miles is the loss of earning potential for AQM/AQD in that situation.
Similarly, I've had no issue going through Chase for flight pass bookings.

But US credit card insurance tends to be much more generous than in Canada. We have to pay "part of" the ticket cost with the card. Most Canadian cards require the entire cost be paid with the card. I've basically given up responding to insurance questions in this forum because my experiences just would not work in Canada.
Old May 23, 2020, 5:08 pm

Are we allowed to travel yet?

Canada's website says to not travel for pleasure but they are starting flights to pleasure destination ( Cancun, etc) on June 1st
Old May 23, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Joroy70
Are we allowed to travel yet?

Canada's website says to not travel for pleasure but they are starting flights to pleasure destination ( Cancun, etc) on June 1st
You were never not allowed to travel. The Canadian government however still advises against non-essential travel outside Canada.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/heal...th-notices/221
Old May 23, 2020, 5:47 pm

Don't forget about the 14 day quarantine when you return to Canada.
Old May 23, 2020, 6:59 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I'm watching this closely as well as I have bookings to visit family for the July 4th long weekend. No idea if it's going to be
1. Cancelled.
2. Operating but my 767 which was a 787 now turns into an A320 at which point I might just cancel myself because I don't want domestic J seat.
3. Operating as planned.
Old May 23, 2020, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
South America is now completely removed from the schedule until at least September it seems. GRU, BOG, and SCL/EZE are all zeroed out. I guess that isn't surprising with how quickly the cases are climbing in that part of the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.