Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Looks like YYZ-LHR has gone to a single daily 789 from the end of this month. Only AC848 is showing up in flight availability results. J9/O9/Y9 for many dates. I wish the route suspension page on aircanada.com would also show reductions in capacity. I wonder what the odds are of AC continuing to run any trans-Atlantic operations. Surely their YYZ-LHR is the premier trans-Atlantic route, and I'd expect it to continue for awhile, but hard to say if it'll even continue daily if nobody's flying.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: AC 75K
AC's International and US operations for April (as of March 22) can be found here:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-22mar20/
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I called Aeroplan this morning first thing, was on hold 2 hours, and then got through to an agent. She processed my miles refund instantly (I can see them back in my account) and said that my tax/fee refund to my credit card would take weeks because of the backlog.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
In today's SCMP (March 23 2020)

QUOTE:

"Hong Kong will close its border on all foreign tourists and transit arrivals to the city from Wednesday"

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...navirus-spread

Assuming AC 7/8 crews are exempt, this would mean only HK residents would be allowed in?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: AC, KL
Originally Posted by pilot007
I wish the route suspension page on aircanada.com would also show reductions in capacity.
It does now

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ml#/atlantic-2
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Quick question: I just canceled a trip and opted for a travel credit. Also got a confirmation email but no information how I can access and use the credit in the future. Will I get a separate email with a "gift card" like number or how does it work?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before but I did not want to go through 1000+ posts and a search did not help.

Cheers!
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by totti
Quick question: I just canceled a trip and opted for a travel credit. Also got a confirmation email but no information how I can access and use the credit in the future. Will I get a separate email with a "gift card" like number or how does it work?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before but I did not want to go through 1000+ posts and a search did not help.

Cheers!
From AC.com:

Please ensure that you hold on to your ticket number, which can be found in your original booking itinerary. When you are ready to travel again, please call us at 1-888-247-2262, with your ticket number, to book your future flight. Future travel using your travel credit must be completed within 12 months from the date your flight was cancelled.

It's not the same as an AC eCoupon or gift card.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:00 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by totti

You have to phone in. The AC agents will then pull it up when you give them the PNR or ticket number.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
April 7 I was supposed to fly AC HNL-YYZ-LHR and back on 14th. My reservation currently shows those flights, but obviously they just haven't gotten to my reservation as of yet, because HNL-YYZ no longer is operated. A new booking via AC shows United-operated flights via U.S. to London on those dates. I assume I can get a refund of my P fare ticket at the time they re-route me and I don't want the United flights?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by jmolony
Here is what Turkish is doing.

According to Daily Sabah, Turkish Airlines’ Chairman has indicated a very generous policy for those who choose to keep a ticket credit with the airline, rather than get a refund:
  • The company will give a 15% bonus credit to those who postpone tickets rather than refund them
  • The company will offer 1,000 bonus miles for every 10EUR of the ticket price that they choose to postpone rather than refund
That's a good example. Leave the option for refunds possible but reward travellers who opt for a travel credit by adding a bonus.

CBC Marketplace's piece about the refund issue:
https://www.facebook.com/cbcnews/videos/234462614357499

More info about the class action lawsuit filed against Air Canada and Air Transat in Quebec:
Lachaine v. Air Transat and Air Canada et al. (COVID-19) ? Perrier Attorneys
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The refund should be processed as close to now as possible. Justice delayed is justice denied. I would say a few weeks might be reasonable to allow time for processing. But asking to hold on to the money for many months is clearly unreasonable.

In the US, doesn't the DOT require refunds to be processed in seven business days?
I agree in principle that refunds should be processed now, but I've yet to see anything that forces a specific timeframe.

The 7 day rule in the US is for cancellations under the 24 hour rule if I'm not mistaken.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by D582
The 7 day rule in the US is for cancellations under the 24 hour rule if I'm not mistaken.
I'm pretty sure it's for all refunds.

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ection/refunds
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
From AC.com:

Please ensure that you hold on to your ticket number, which can be found in your original booking itinerary. When you are ready to travel again, please call us at 1-888-247-2262, with your ticket number, to book your future flight. Future travel using your travel credit must be completed within 12 months from the date your flight was cancelled.

It's not the same as an AC eCoupon or gift card.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
You have to phone in. The AC agents will then pull it up when you give them the PNR or ticket number.
Thank you guys. That's very helpful and good to know.
Interestingly, in may case it said I have 24 month to book a new flight and travel (not that I need that long anyways).
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
As of now, are there any restrictions on Americans transiting YYZ. Have a res DEN-YYZ-MUC on AC and just want to make sure I'm going to be allowed to make the connection in YYZ.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Article

https://www.flightglobal.com/network...137483.article

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.