Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Dos definitely are informal! The menu and setting may have looked a bit fancy for that one at the Palliser, but it was still a casual occasion. Plenty of people in jeans, T-shirts, etc.
Well however formal or not it would be great to meet so many long time legends on this forum. Confident that as a very infrequent poster who asks more questions than providing answers I'd remain a nobody but it would be a privilege to meet such esteemed and well informed Air Canada customers!
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:39 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by meltedmarshmellow
Well however formal or not it would be great to meet so many long time legends on this forum. Confident that as a very infrequent poster who asks more questions than providing answers I'd remain a nobody but it would be a privilege to meet such esteemed and well informed Air Canada customers!
Nobody is a nobody at a Do, all are welcome
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:57 pm

Well now, I go to work and I miss all this thread activity today.

Let me start off with this - a 3 day Do in Quesnel?! Good god no. I'm pretty sure AC doesn't fly there either... perhaps a CMA code share? Definitely no miles to be had there. (Covid actually has the airport temporarily closed.) That said, being there that weekend isn't out of the question as I need to be "near by" in Clearwater the following week ...

I am intrigued by the interest in a "Rural Do" though. YKA isn't super out there/rural, but would be reasonable for getting in+out in >24h for most. Definitely could come up with places to eat/drink there. More adventurous would be YYD but I won't be there until Feb 2022 (will try to remember to post a reminder because it's a beautiful place). A horrible idea would be a YXJ or YYE Do (no miles for the latter and, and really no one *wants* to go to FSJ). Oh, or YQQ - I would definitely support that. I'm be there annually late August/early September, could absolutely suggest nearby things to do/see while I'm at work, then join for dinner + beverages!!

If people are actually interested in going to any of those, I could be persuaded to coordinate.
tcook052, canadiancow and marke190 like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
New low gas price spotted in Edmonton: 56.9

77.9 in West Edmonton

Last edited by AltaBound; Apr 29, 2020 at 8:04 pm Reason: correct spelling
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief

Let me start off with this - a 3 day Do in Quesnel?! Good god no. I'm pretty sure AC doesn't fly there either... perhaps a CMA code share? Definitely no miles to be had there. (Covid actually has the airport temporarily closed.) That said, being there that weekend isn't out of the question as I need to be "near by" in Clearwater the following week ...

I am intrigued by the interest in a "Rural Do" though. YKA isn't super out there/rural, but would be reasonable for getting in+out in >24h for most. Definitely could come up with places to eat/drink there. More adventurous would be YYD but I won't be there until Feb 2022 (will try to remember to post a reminder because it's a beautiful place). A horrible idea would be a YXJ or YYE Do (no miles for the latter and, and really no one *wants* to go to FSJ). Oh, or YQQ - I would definitely support that. I'm be there annually late August/early September, could absolutely suggest nearby things to do/see while I'm at work, then join for dinner + beverages!!

If people are actually interested in going to any of those, I could be persuaded to coordinate.
I've been to the airports in a few of those places. Never outside though.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:40 pm

I don't live in YKA any more, but some great breweries and brewpubs. I'd attend! I like the idea of somewhere more remote, though.

Dr. PITUK
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by AltaBound
77.9 in West Edmonton
89.9 at Costco in Victoria, but prices going up in the interior.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by AltaBound
77.9 in West Edmonton
Really? I spotted a bunch of sub-60 cent/liter stations around south side this week in my rare outings so that seems very high since the prices have been low for weeks.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:02 pm

Programs: AC 75k
YYD does have some really nice skiing with few crowds in the winter and the town has some character.
I used to spend 3 days in YQZ at a time about a dozen years ago for work. Best thing I could say was that I was busy and the work days were long. They actually had a really good restaurant there in an old house, but alas it closed over a decade ago and for the life of me I can't remember the name. Best part of Quesnel is that it is the place you turn East to go to Barkerville and Wells, and even then that is only for those who like that sort of historic recreation or artsy hippie thing. As suggested earlier it is a CMA codeshare -great if you enjoy small craft like a Beech 1900 (which I really do). At least you don't have to worry about deflating seats.
nomadic.relief and Adam Smith like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
I don't live in YKA any more, but some great breweries and brewpubs. I'd attend! I like the idea of somewhere more remote, though.

Dr. PITUK
Most of my "more remotes" are airport-less - Clearwater, 100 Mile, Mackenzie, Fort St James, Lytton, Gold River ... and not one of those would I ever recommend for a Do.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:23 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Most of my "more remotes" are airport-less - Clearwater, 100 Mile, Mackenzie, Fort St James, Lytton, Gold River ... and not one of those would I ever recommend for a Do.
FSJ! We can fly everyone into YXS and my family can shuttle. Shame we sold off the Suburban. We could do the Mount Pope climb with the prize of your favourite bottle of scotch back in PG for anyone who survives it.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I was thinking about other middle-of-nowhere places for a Do and was easily distracted....
I just spotted what may be a first-time visitor to YYZ in the form of an A359 , currently passing Uelkal, Russia. Kind of exciting to see a rare bird with pretty plumage in between all the freighters.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:47 pm

I have been to a few and can't wait to go to the others! I'll sleep in my VW bus, and can do some of the food, but we do need a licensed location...

Dr. PITUK
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by FlY2XS
FSJ! We can fly everyone into YXS and my family can shuttle. Shame we sold off the Suburban. We could do the Mount Pope climb with the prize of your favourite bottle of scotch back in PG for anyone who survives it.
I need to figure out how I can get UNBC to pay me to teach or talk around the same time .

Dr. PITUK
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I think a DO in Quesnel July 17/18/19 could be a good bit of hilarity.
I had to Google Quesnel. Definitely the middle of nowhere, but that is a huge metropolis by local standards. My town only has about 1,000 people. We do have a giant Blueberry at the Irving though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.