Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Nope, you were there. Remember, you and rehoult were there early and then gave me .... for showing up at the appointed time of 6PM
Okay I have gone back through my records. You are, once again, correct. I have attended all four of the scotch and burger dos.

I know I have missed at least one YYC do.

But, for the record, I do not remember that, and I guarantee that even if I did remember it happening, I wouldn't remember that it was the 2016 do

It was a couple weeks after SMD7. I certainly remember that amazing flight. Not to be confused with SMD6, where we inflated (blew up) (an airplane) balloon, threw it around, and @rehoult served beverages. That was just a horrendous flight. Worst ever.

Or maybe I have the two confused

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I just remember freezing my face off after leaving canadiancow , Adam Smith and nomadic.relief in the pub after one of these. Maybe it was in July.
That must have been the December one. I don't even think I had a jacket.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Okay I have gone back through my records. You are, once again, correct. I have attended all four of the scotch and burger dos.

I know I have missed at least one YYC do.

But, for the record, I do not remember that, and I guarantee that even if I did remember it happening, I wouldn't remember that it was the 2016 do

It was a couple weeks after SMD7. I certainly remember that amazing flight. Not to be confused with SMD6, where we inflated (blew up) (an airplane) balloon, threw it around, and @rehoult served beverages. That was just a horrendous flight. Worst ever.

Or maybe I have the two confused
The one that was right after SMD7 was the first Burger & Scotch do. It was the weekend after SMD7, actually.

If you're thinking of one you missed, perhaps it was the midweek dinner Do at the Palliser (Fairmont) that SAP organized in July 2015? I think the only other YYC Dos since then have been:
  • The 2015 Christmas one that I missed, but which you seem to have attended
  • A few "summer kick-off" mini-Dos that I've hosted midweek in mid/late June, which were just casual after-work drinks during the week. You definitely weren't at those, but they're also pretty casual
  • The one that you hosted last spring during your between-jobs tour

As for rehoult pouring drinks at SMD, that was 6. He didn't come on 7. That was you, me, Mrs. Smith, traacs, and ruthless

SAP is sorely missed, from a Do-organizing perspective.

That must have been the December one. I don't even think I had a jacket.
Yes, probably December. I don't think it was all that cold last year, even if it was snowy and miserable.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 28, 2020 at 11:45 pm
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
As for rehoult pouring drinks at SMD, that was 6. He didn't come on 7. That was you, me, Mrs. Smith, traacs, and ruthless
Oh believe me, I remember which was which. One flight was amazing. One was bearable only because I knew four other people in the J cabin.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:11 am

Programs: HH Silver
New low gas price spotted in Edmonton: 56.9

Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Hey, since we've been talking about a few putative Dos, here's an off-the-wall idea: next time nomadic.relief is working in the middle of nowhere in BC (but a middle of nowhere that has an AC-served airport), we should do a Do there... Presumably these places at least have a motel and a bar? Not that I'm sure Smithers or Quesnel or wherever is super exciting, but it would mix it up a little

Originally Posted by tcook052
New low gas price spotted in Edmonton: 56.9

Funny how no one is complaining that oil prices were much higher when the oil that turned in to this gasoline was produced...

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 29, 2020 at 11:01 am Reason: Corrected typo
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
If you're thinking of one you missed, perhaps it was the midweek dinner Do at the Palliser (Fairmont) that SAP organized in July 2015?........

SAP is sorely missed, from a Do-organizing perspective.
Yes.

This July 20 2015 AC FT YYC Do was really unique. I flew out to YYC with the Penguin 🐧 with one of the best SD's at AC. The Fairmont Palliser sent a car to pick us up.
@Adam Smith drove me back to YYC the next day.

Formal menu and sit down dinner

Mmmmmmm

I can confirm there was no snow.

painintheuk, Bohemian1 and YYCNoob like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:44 am
Suspended

I always imagined your Dos to be something along the lines of informal get togethers. Some of these seem far too formal for me, although certainly reads like y'all mostly had fun!
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:36 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Most of them are not that swanky. At some of the online Dos, people aren't even wearing shirts!

And if we follow Adam's suggestion and stalk nomadic.relief , I suspect they might be even less swanky. Maybe no printed menus and linens, but just as much fun.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I like @Adam Smith's idea:

Hey, since we've been talking about a few putative Dos, here's an off-the-wall idea: next time nomadic.relief is working in the middle of nowhere in BC (but a middle of nowhere that has an AC-served airport), we should do a Do there... Presumably these places at least have a motel and a bar? Not that I'm sure Smithers or Quesnel or wherever is super exciting, but it would mix it up a little

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Most of them are not that swanky. At some of the online Dos, people aren't even wearing shirts!

And if we follow Adam's suggestion and stalk nomadic.relief , I suspect they might be even less swanky. Maybe no printed menus and linens, but just as much fun.
They've all been very different, large, small, formal, last-minute.....

I was actually jealous of @nomadic.relief's attendance at a do way up in Barrow, Alaska. I would be really interested in a middle-of-sort-of-nowhere Do.

Last edited by 24left; Apr 29, 2020 at 2:33 pm Reason: auto-correct
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by 24left
I was actually jealous of @nomadic.relief's attendance at a do way up in Barrow, Alaska. I would be really interested in a middle-of-sort-of-nowhere Do.
Maybe I should try to organize a DO in my middle of nowhere (Northern NS) town. To attract the FT crowd we'd have to do it at the Legion, since it is the only licensed establishment in town. I can't see folks making the trek to go to our local diner, the pizza joint, Tim Horton's, or Subway. Somehow I don't think that the Legion has a great selection of high-end scotch though.

We could even have it catered. The best caterers in town offer a choice of roast beef or roast beef.

Beforehand we could have an exiting excursion to see the sights, like um...uhh....ummm......uhh............

I gotta get outta this place.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:25 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by smallmj
If it's the last thing you ever do?
PB53x11 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I think a DO in Quesnel July 17/18/19 could be a good bit of hilarity.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
And call it what? The "Middle Of Nowhere Do"?
24left likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
I'm in! 13 hrs from YHZ-YQZ on the 17th, 13.5 Hrs (including red-eye) on the 19th-20th.

As an extra bonus I will have deflated seats from YUL-YVR and YVR-YYZ!! Was is the going rate for compensation for deflated seats?
painintheuk likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by meltedmarshmellow
I always imagined your Dos to be something along the lines of informal get togethers. Some of these seem far too formal for me, although certainly reads like y'all mostly had fun!
Dos definitely are informal! The menu and setting may have looked a bit fancy for that one at the Palliser, but it was still a casual occasion. Plenty of people in jeans, T-shirts, etc.

Originally Posted by smallmj
Maybe I should try to organize a DO in my middle of nowhere (Northern NS) town. To attract the FT crowd we'd have to do it at the Legion, since it is the only licensed establishment in town. I can't see folks making the trek to go to our local diner, the pizza joint, Tim Horton's, or Subway. Somehow I don't think that the Legion has a great selection of high-end scotch though.

We could even have it catered. The best caterers in town offer a choice of roast beef or roast beef.

Beforehand we could have an exiting excursion to see the sights, like um...uhh....ummm......uhh............

You're not doing a very good job of selling it

17-19? Oh good God, no! I was thinking fly in day of the Do and leave the following morning. Unless nomadic.relief can vouch for some interesting things to do in some of these places, I'm assuming they're not exactly going to be the types of places I would want to spend a lot of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.