Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I wasn't entirely serious.

Then again, you need to buy something with all of those new credit cards, so why not a bunch of airfare?
The US one, yes. The CIBC card gives 20k points after first purchase, and then 15k if I spend $10k. Even if we assume I spend $10k on AC.com, that's a total of 30k miles for that $10k. I'd rather use my primary card (CSR), which would earn a bit over 21k UR points at current exchange rates. I'd rather have 21k UR than 30k Aeroplan any day.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Moving this to a more appropriate thread for continued discussion.

I'm seriously considering grabbing a flight before they end. My only hesitation is that SF seems to be doing quite well, as does CA (compared to the rest of the country), so I'm not sure how much I'd gain from retreating up north.

Especially when I consider I'd need a 14 day quarantine on arrival there, and likely on return here.
I honestly don't think we are any worse off in CA (the state) than CA (the country).
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 4:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
One thing to consider is mobility though. It sounds like you're basically trapped in your apartment there; if you come to Canada would you be staying somewhere with more space? At least in Edmonton everyone's walking outside, so if you're literally not allowed outside your apt in SF...

Also, look at whether you'd qualify for provincial healthcare coverage. Some provinces have a waiting period; some have none; some have removed it during this pandemic
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew
One thing to consider is mobility though. It sounds like you're basically trapped in your apartment there; if you come to Canada would you be staying somewhere with more space? At least in Edmonton everyone's walking outside, so if you're literally not allowed outside your apt in SF...

Also, look at whether you'd qualify for provincial healthcare coverage. Some provinces have a waiting period; some have none; some have removed it during this pandemic
I'm not stuck in my apartment. My understanding is YYZ and SFO are pretty similar right now.

What I don't want is for Canada to fix itself a month before the US, leaving me stuck at home in SFO when I could be going to bars in YYZ.

RIGHT NOW I see no benefit going, but I'm at the very least trying to think about T+14.
D582 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
What I don't want is for Canada to fix itself a month before the US, leaving me stuck at home in SFO when I could be going to bars in YYZ.
It seems likely to me that Canada will fix itself before the US - but then, neither Canada nor the US are monolithic things.

It seems equally likely to me that Ontario and California will fix themselves on a pretty similar schedule.
D582 and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Sniff....almost over
Old Apr 22, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by vernonc
Sniff....almost over
Interesting that it is a "single malt", but it has a "Master Blender's Approval".

Can you provide a detailed review? I am curious...
Old Apr 22, 2020, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Interesting that it is a "single malt", but it has a "Master Blender's Approval".

Can you provide a detailed review? I am curious...
Most definitely a single malt. They also make blends and I believe Kavalan distillery had one of the top ranked single malts a couple of years back. They seem to consistently rank well. I normally pick up Kavalan when I am in TPE on work though Costco US has had one of the lower end Kavalan single malts though not very recently. Like many other single malts, Kavalan has for the most part marketed based on cask strength or not and type of casks - this one is sherry but I have had port cask, etc. Cask strength is quite strong with 60% alcohol so probably not suited for a long night of drinking. I have yet to make a tour of their facility which is an hour drive from TPE. The whiskies are not aged very long, less than 10 years however its the tropical climate that seems to have created a smooth finish and reduces years of the aging process. I think the distillery is less than 20 years old. Soloist is their premium line of single malt.
For a comparison, I would say they taste closer to highland single malt like McCallan. Oak plus other tropical taste. Mostly clear taste and non-peaty thought they did introduce a single malt that was aged in peaty casks but that just gives it a light peaty flavor. The distillery is one of the biggest single malt distillery in the world and in Asia one of the top 3 brands incl Japans Nikka/Suntory.
Not exactly sure what Master Blenders approval means. I suspect it is a Asian competition approval from a panel of master blenders OR its approved by their in house master blender Ian Chang who seems to have developed a whizz kid label. Each scotch house has a master blender as does quite a few other liquors like rum. Like a technical PHD guy with a great sense of smell and taste.
The most important thing - I like it.
painintheuk and Yhztraveller like this.

Last edited by vernonc; Apr 22, 2020 at 1:09 pm
Old Apr 22, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by vernonc
The most important thing - I like it.
I agree! Taste is an individual thing. And thank you for the review.

I had not really though about the maturation process in tropical climates. I will have to do some research!

We do have a local distillery (Ironworks) that has a special batch of rum (blend of 8 yr and 2 yr old locally-distilled rums) that was aged for the final 15 months aboard the tall ship Picton Castle as it sailed around the world.

https://ironworksdistillery.com/around-the-world-rum/
painintheuk likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:31 pm

Vancouver Island Comfort Food

Happy belated B’Day to @24left, a Kit Kat connoisseur and the best damn baker on FT!

That is an amazing looking cake Yhztraveller. I am definitely not the best FT baker (though we mostly bake our own bread and Mrs. PITUK makes me unhealthy treats), but I made some non-bake Vancouver Island comfort food.

Dr. PITUK
24left and YYCNoob like this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:34 pm

I agree! Taste is an individual thing. And thank you for the review.

I had not really though about the maturation process in tropical climates. I will have to do some research!

We do have a local distillery (Ironworks) that has a special batch of rum (blend of 8 yr and 2 yr old locally-distilled rums) that was aged for the final 15 months aboard the tall ship Picton Castle as it sailed around the world.

https://ironworksdistillery.com/around-the-world-rum/
I generally prefer dark rums. Sometimes spiced. I have a couple of sipping rums that I need to try. My spouse thinks I am spending too much time on alcohol these days :-).
I also got a bottle of SelvaRey cocoa infused that someone gave me. Got to try it too. Apparently its part owned by Bruno Mars but I only just found that out.
https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2...-distribution/
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
That is an amazing looking cake Yhztraveller. I am definitely not the best FT baker (though we mostly bake our own bread and Mrs. PITUK makes me unhealthy treats), but I made some non-bake Vancouver Island comfort food.
Dr. PITUK
I cannot take any credit for the cake. I just edited an uncopyrighted pic I found on the net. Mrs Yhz would have baked for 24left , but baked good do not travel well....

We will see what we can do if 24left visits YHZ for the Do in October.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Dr. PITUK
Ooooh. Yum!

So much baking/sorta-baking/cooking talent among posters & those related to posters on AC FT...... we could launch an online cookbook. 🍰🍞🍪🍜
painintheuk likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:32 pm

"Your call will be answered by the next available agent."

No it won't. The next available agent is going to answer the call at the front of the queue.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan

Dr. PITUK
Oh that looks fantastic! I'd probably be more into baking if I wasn't so lazy most the time...
painintheuk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.