Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

It's now mid night for me!

Happy new year from Fox Glacier, New Zealand!
2019.... has been an interesting year... Here's hoping 2020 will be a great one filled with traveling!

Well.. for me it would be the first time in years without status so it will be interesting adjust back to the tango days.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Lol!!! I was hoping you would do this. Happy New Year
pewpew and Jumper Jack like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Well.. for me it would be the first time in years without status so it will be interesting adjust back to the tango days.
I think it will be very interesting what will result from this from a forum content perspective.

HNY.
eigenvector and Jumper Jack like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
It's now mid night for me!

Happy new year from Fox Glacier, New Zealand!
2019.... has been an interesting year... Here's hoping 2020 will be a great one filled with traveling!

Enjoy your last two months of status before returning, Remember it’s now Standard Formally Known As Tango Or Basic

Happy New Year on the Glacier. Never got that far over myself.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Here's hoping you all have a successful 2020, however that looks for you. For me?

I hope I can avoid Europe.

And children.
smallmj likes this.

Last edited by WaytoomuchEurope; Dec 31, 2019 at 7:42 am
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
So about that sportsball game today!

How about how that one team we all want to win totally kicked that other teams a$$ or how about how that team totally screwed up but if we were there and they did what we said they would have won and oh damn!

Yay Sportsball!
canopus27 and smallmj like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
My new year is not off to an amazing start. :/
They cancelled the helicopter landings onto the fox glacier due to clouds. Was looking forward to it all month.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I feel a little weird posting in the 2020 thread when I'm still at work on the 31st.
pewpew likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
My new year is not off to an amazing start. :/
They cancelled the helicopter landings onto the fox glacier due to clouds. Was looking forward to it all month.
There's always walking.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
TIL that hardware which claims to support "USB 3.1", might actually just mean "USB 3.0" -- because in an incredible act of deception, the industry decided that "USB 3.0" is synonymous with "USB 3.1 gen 1", and so if you if you want to achieve the higher data transfer speeds at the "USB 3.1" level, you really need to make sure that both ends of the connection support "USB 3.1 gen 2".

So apparently my new computer, which proudly boasts "USB 3.1" connectors ... isn't actually any improvement over a "3.0" connection, because the fine print says "USB 3.1 gen 1"

Super frustrating. Although at least I now understand why I'm seeing the data transfer speeds that I am.

So it's not just the airline industry which is filled with crooks and liars.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by canopus27

It's not even limited to just industry. That's my basic parenting approach.
canopus27, AltaBound and smallmj like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canopus27
TIL that hardware which claims to support "USB 3.1", might actually just mean "USB 3.0" -- because in an incredible act of deception, the industry decided that "USB 3.0" is synonymous with "USB 3.1 gen 1", and so if you if you want to achieve the higher data transfer speeds at the "USB 3.1" level, you really need to make sure that both ends of the connection support "USB 3.1 gen 2".

So apparently my new computer, which proudly boasts "USB 3.1" connectors ... isn't actually any improvement over a "3.0" connection, because the fine print says "USB 3.1 gen 1"

Super frustrating. Although at least I now understand why I'm seeing the data transfer speeds that I am.

It's amazing how USB went from 2.0 which was one of the most ubiquitous and functional connectivity standards of all time to an absolute mess of overlapping standards, connectors and capabilities that almost requires an engineering degree to understand.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eigenvector
It's amazing how USB went from 2.0 which was one of the most ubiquitous and functional connectivity standards of all time to an absolute mess of overlapping standards, connectors and capabilities that almost requires an engineering degree to understand.
I suspect it went through this (standardized) process:

canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
It's not even limited to just industry. That's my basic parenting approach.
Which child has the highest data rate?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Happy new year from Poland! Hope the stock markets provide all of us with another amazing year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.