Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:09 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Let us know how it tastes. But I'm with you on special bottlings normally. Especially at ariport duty frees.

The only bacon I'm having tonight is on my wagyu beef burger. But given the richness of the meat, it's champagne tonight, not Scotch.
Oh, yes, the airport duty-free ones, I pretty much never touch. The price never looks all that interesting relative to what the product seems to be. I did find some duty-free at SKB that was actually a very good deal and so tried a couple of bottles. One was a Balvenie and the other a Glenfiddich. Both involved red wine casks in some way, I think. Neither was great, but given the cheap price, the value was decent.

I also had bacon on a burger tonight. Ordered in from Earl's. I wasn't sure how well it would travel, and the fries weren't exactly hot, but they were warm enough. All in all, it worked out okay.

I had thought about grilling burgers on the BBQ myself, but winter just won't die here. We had one nice day yesterday but back to grey, snowy crap today.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I had thought about grilling burgers on the BBQ myself, but winter just won't die here. We had one nice day yesterday but back to grey, snowy crap today.
Winter is no reason not to be grilling,wood, coal or gas. I used to do it outside of Kamloops - proper -30 winter! I had my Sorels at the door to step in and out of. We had awesome BBQ!

Dr. PITUK
Bohemian1 and YYCNoob like this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 10:38 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Winter is no reason not to be grilling,wood, coal or gas. I used to do it outside of Kamloops - proper -30 winter! I had my Sorels at the door to step in and out of. We had awesome BBQ!
I do still grill when it's miserable out, from time to time. Just didn't feel like it today.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 1:05 am

Programs: AC 75k
I have developed a palate for sharper tastes. Love high IBU IPA and am definitely a peat fan myself. For reference, my dog is named Oban in part because it is way easier to call out than Bunnahabhain. Still I am not a fan of smoke with smoke. Good meals balance flavours.
I wouldn't want smoky whisky with a smoky food, it overwhelms a single set of tastebuds.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Happy Easter to all those that celebrate all things chocolate. @24left, did you get any of these??

Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by FlY2XS
I have developed a palate for sharper tastes. Love high IBU IPA and am definitely a peat fan myself. For reference, my dog is named Oban in part because it is way easier to call out than Bunnahabhain. Still I am not a fan of smoke with smoke. Good meals balance flavours.
I wouldn't want smoky whisky with a smoky food, it overwhelms a single set of tastebuds.
I tried the Arrans 14 yr old last night. Definitely adding that to my rotation....
Old Apr 12, 2020, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
I tried the Arrans 14 yr old last night. Definitely adding that to my rotation....
I'm definitely not on the same page as you guys. Smoke is just a total non-starter for me when it comes to whisky.
painintheuk and vernonc like this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: AC 75k
You pulled me down the rabbit hole today with that one. When I was little, I grew up looking out at the Sleeping Warrior (the Isle of Arran) from my bedroom window on the mornings it was clear enough.
Keeping it FT pertinent. Two houses down, looking into my cul de sac, my friend's Dad was a flight controller for Prestwick Airport which was very close. That landed us perks when the Prestwick Airshow was on. Prestwick was the busiest international airport in Scotland back then.
I don't think I've put thought to that for over a decade.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I'm definitely not on the same page as you guys. Smoke is just a total non-starter for me when it comes to whisky.
I suspect you disagree only with me. I haven't had the Arran, but doubt it is very smoky being a lowland, but await YHZtraveller to chime in. Same company just opened a second distillery on the Island which will now be using peat. I will have to wait the dozen years to try that one out.
The Bunnahabain is a wonderful dram, and one of if not the least smoky of the Islays. The joke was just about about trying to say it correctly.
I actually love the entire range of 12+ year single malts, just do have a palate that leans to the smoke too which is a taste I know is very polarizing. My Mum and wife hate it too. On then nights when FlY1XS and I treated each other to the Lagavulin or an Ardbeg for example, we'd be banished to the guest rooms for the night by both with the admonishment that we still exuded it the next day. We might as well have been smoking cigars!
painintheuk and eigenvector like this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I'm watching "The Terminal". JFK seems much cleaner than normal in this film.
painintheuk, D582 and pewpew like this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:34 pm

You pulled me down the rabbit hole today with that one. When I was little, I grew up looking out at the Sleeping Warrior (the Isle of Arran) from my bedroom window on the mornings it was clear enough.
Keeping it FT pertinent. Two houses down, looking into my cul de sac, my friend's Dad was a flight controller for Prestwick Airport which was very close. That landed us perks when the Prestwick Airshow was on. Prestwick was the busiest international airport in Scotland back then.
I don't think I've put thought to that for over a decade.
This is the lounge thread, where things are meant to not be flying-related, so actually best be careful about stories like that one, lest they get moved/deleted

I suspect you disagree only with me. I haven't had the Arran, but doubt it is very smoky being a lowland, but await YHZtraveller to chime in. Same company just opened a second distillery on the Island which will now be using peat. I will have to wait the dozen years to try that one out.
The Bunnahabain is a wonderful dram, and one of if not the least smoky of the Islays. The joke was just about about trying to say it correctly.
I actually love the entire range of 12+ year single malts, just do have a palate that leans to the smoke too which is a taste I know is very polarizing. My Mum and wife hate it too. On then nights when FlY1XS and I treated each other to the Lagavulin or an Ardbeg for example, we'd be banished to the guest rooms for the night by both with the admonishment that we still exuded it the next day. We might as well have been smoking cigars!
I've only tried the Arrans once. I don't recall them being very smoky (certainly not a Lagavulin or anything like that), but I don't like any smoke. I generally look at the Whisky Exchange or Master of Malt tasting notes, and if they have the smoke >0, it's pretty much not going to be something I enjoy. I'll often still try them if I'm at a tasting where it doesn't cost me anything, but have yet to enjoy any of them.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Although I do generally prefer a good bit of smoke (Lagavulin, Ardbeg and Talisker being the standard rotation for me), one of my favourite non smokey single malts is Scapa - the "other" Orkney whisky. In contrast to a lot of island malts it's very smooth and even a little sweet. A unique scotch at a very reasonable price point. It retails at $85 or so here in BC, less I'm sure in AB.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Although I do generally prefer a good bit of smoke (Lagavulin, Ardbeg and Talisker being the standard rotation for me), one of my favourite non smokey single malts is Scapa - the "other" Orkney whisky. In contrast to a lot of island malts it's very smooth and even a little sweet. A unique scotch at a very reasonable price point. It retails at $85 or so here in BC, less I'm sure in AB.
The Mrs and I enjoy Lagavulin, and the Arrans 14 is nothing like a Lagavulin. Not smokey at all, it is smooth and a little sweet.

The Mrs has a significant b'day today that I cannot mention and since I really can't go shopping for an appropriate present, and since we had to cancel the trip back to MBJ that was scheduled for this week, I bought her a bottle of JW Blue. I like Blue, but do not generally feel I get value for the money. It is, in fact, the first time I have ever purchased a bottle. I'll provide a review if she let's me have a taste!

We do plan of touring some distilleries in Scotland and Ireland, but likely not until 2021 or 2022.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
The Mrs and I enjoy Lagavulin, and the Arrans 14 is nothing like a Lagavulin. Not smokey at all, it is smooth and a little sweet.

The Mrs has a significant b'day today that I cannot mention and since I really can't go shopping for an appropriate present, and since we had to cancel the trip back to MBJ that was scheduled for this week, I bought her a bottle of JW Blue. I like Blue, but do not generally feel I get value for the money. It is, in fact, the first time I have ever purchased a bottle. I'll provide a review if she let's me have a taste!

We do plan of touring some distilleries in Scotland and Ireland, but likely not until 2021 or 2022.
JW Blue is very good but so is Platinum.
I have been contemplating a tour of Scotland distilleries too but unfortunately my better half is not a big fan. If you do chalk out a itin, please share, might save me some research. I'd preferably want to add a tip to London to visit family and my soccer team to catch a game from when I lived there.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:21 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
The Mrs has a significant b'day today....
Happy birthday to her!

It's Ms. Boh's birthday today as well, although perhaps not as significant. Either way, let's celebrate with a wee dram!
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Submitted without comment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.