Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
You really need to brush up on your butchery skills if you think bacon comes from cows.

Or that hamburgers come from pigs.

Or that Chicken Nuggets come from chickens.

City folks ....
He didn't mention flying to DHA did he? I've had beef "bacon" there. Can't say I particularly recommend it though.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Very cool. I especially like the parts over YYZ and then coming into downtown along the lake.

I’m not sure which was more shocking - to see such emptiness at YYZ or nothing on the 401 next to it. LOL

Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
No, really. Where the bleep is Cow?
Check his status from a previous post.....
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by meltedmarshmellow
Isn't it obvious? He's been turned into bacon. He's no more.
Now, that makes bacon less appetizing.....

But with all this time on my hands I am looking for things I can make on my makeshift smoker (BBQ with a smoke box).

Does anybody have a good recipe/directions for turning pork belly into bacon??
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:55 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Now, that makes bacon less appetizing.....

Does anybody have a good recipe/directions for turning pork belly into bacon??
Sure thing.

I will talk to Chef (Ms. Boh) and send something to you on PM in the next day or two.
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 10:20 am

Sure thing.

I will talk to Chef (Ms. Boh) and send something to you on PM in the next day or two.
Perfect, thank you! Oh, and maybe suggestions on pairing it with wine (or whiskey)!
Old Apr 9, 2020, 10:45 am

Perfect, thank you! Oh, and maybe suggestions on pairing it with wine (or whiskey)!
Bourbon is the easy one. Either neat or in an Old Fashioned.

Whisky / whiskey is a little trickier as it depends upon how smoky your bacon turns out. And Champagne and Chenin Blanc can work as well.
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Daughter's birthday. Had to break it to her that with her fave clothing stores and Sephora shut that it would be a little different this year.
Got her a gross of toilet paper, jar of yeast, 2 cans of beans, tub of Lysol wipes and half a dozen N95 masks.
By her reaction, she has no idea how rare and valuable that gift is.

As to the pic, look closely - second box on the right. Methinks the crew have been dipping into the cargo !
Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
No, really. Where the bleep is Cow?
Originally Posted by meltedmarshmellow
Isn't it obvious? He's been turned into bacon. He's no more.
You guys got it all wrong. He is probably somewhere on a desert island with yyznomad, sipping rum & Coke Zero.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:33 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Bourbon is the easy one. Either neat or in an Old Fashioned.

Whisky / whiskey is a little trickier as it depends upon how smoky your bacon turns out. And Champagne and Chenin Blanc can work as well.
Would you be pairing a smoky whisky with smoky bacon?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
A little to much smokey maybe, but I would suggest that bacon pairs well with anything!!
Old Apr 10, 2020, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Actually, I would not. I'd like the overall smoke to be balanced at a nice level, so would likely pair smoky bacon with a less smoky whisky.

There's also the degree of cure (salt) to consider, especially in the context of some of the Island or Islay Scotchs, which have their own briny notes.

My advice is to experiment with as much bacon and Scotch as possible. Every day. Especially with close friends. Or worthy FTers at Dos.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 6:44 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
A little to much smokey maybe, but I would suggest that bacon pairs well with anything!!
Actually, I would not. I'd like the overall smoke to be balanced at a nice level, so would likely pair smoky bacon with a less smoky whisky.

There's also the degree of cure (salt) to consider, especially in the context of some of the Island or Islay Scotchs, which have their own briny notes.

My advice is to experiment with as much bacon and Scotch as possible. Every day. Especially with close friends. Or worthy FTers at Dos.
I like the way you guys think. I've been to a couple of BBQ places where they try to pair smoky things (whether bacon, brisket, whatever) with smoky whiskies and I've found it not to work. Even trying to set aside my general dislike for smoky whiskies.

Speaking of whisky, I was just at the liquor store and picked up a bottle of a Berry Bros & Rudd bottling of Glenrothes 1995 American Oak (bottled 2016, so that's aged 21 years). I don't usually buy those limited bottlings without having tried them first, but I've had a few good ones from those guys (Berry Bros bottling Glenrothes), and at just over $100, figured it was worth taking a flyer.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith;32283006
Speaking of whisky, I was just at the liquor store and picked up a bottle of [url=https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glenrothes/the-glenrothes-1995-bottled-2016-american-oak-whisky/
a Berry Bros & Rudd bottling of Glenrothes 1995 American Oak[/url] (bottled 2016, so that's aged 21 years). I don't usually buy those limited bottlings without having tried them first, but I've had a few good ones from those guys (Berry Bros bottling Glenrothes), and at just over $100, figured it was worth taking a flyer.
Let us know how it tastes. But I'm with you on special bottlings normally. Especially at ariport duty frees.

The only bacon I'm having tonight is on my wagyu beef burger. But given the richness of the meat, it's champagne tonight, not Scotch.
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Let us know how it tastes. But I'm with you on special bottlings normally. Especially at ariport duty frees.

The only bacon I'm having tonight is on my wagyu beef burger. But given the richness of the meat, it's champagne tonight, not Scotch.
Bacon doesn't sound that appetizing in Scotch, but it could be worse! Up in the Yukon, they have some drink with a sour toe in it! Called the sour toe cocktail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.