Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by codfather
I am missing sports so much right now, it is really making the isolation all that much worse...
In sports news, Masai is defending his lawsuit from that Sheriff's deputy as is the Raps, NBA and everybody he sued. Masai says the deputy assaulted him and he acted in self defense. Also of note, Fox News found the deputy had in the 90s plead guilty to felony misdemeanor insurance fraud. And the deputy is still off work on medical grounds and collecting insurance.
codfather likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by meltedmarshmellow
What happened to canadiancow?
Went in search of Coke Zero and Bacardi Spiced.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
And boxed bacon.
I am almost afraid to ask - what is boxed bacon? Feels like it should be in the realm of "mostly bad idea unless desperate". Similar to boxed wine.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
I am almost afraid to ask - what is boxed bacon? Feels like it should be in the realm of "mostly bad idea unless desperate". Similar to boxed wine.
LOL. It is precooked bacon sealed in a ziplock and purchased in a box form. Typically 10 slices in the box. Microwave for approx 5 sec/slice. Good for making BLT sandwiches without the mess of frying. Not as thick as fried bacon. Available in all grocery stores and brands incl Maple Leaf and PC.
tcook052 and nomadic.relief like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Hmmm. Always just passed over that at Costco, but the no mess concept is a nice idea.
Boys cook bacon for themselves all the time, which is fine except for :
Come back and drain the pan.
Come back and wash the pan please you have been soaking it all day.
How many times do I have to tell you to wash the cooktop?
Come back : AND the counter!
flyquiet and smallmj like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:35 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
LOL. It is precooked bacon sealed in a ziplock and purchased in a box form. Typically 10 slices in the box. Microwave for approx 5 sec/slice. Good for making BLT sandwiches without the mess of frying. Not as thick as fried bacon. Available in all grocery stores and brands incl Maple Leaf and PC.
While overpriced and not as good as the bacon we cure and smoke at home, this stuff is THE BEST for wilderness camping.

It's well sealed, light and well, it's BACON!

I fondly recall sitting on a beach near Cape Scott staring out at the big ocean while eating a wrap made of this stuff and some grated cheese. Luxury!

Last edited by Bohemian1; Apr 6, 2020 at 7:37 pm Reason: Wrong beach. Now it's the right beach.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by FlY2XS
Hmmm. Always just passed over that at Costco, but the no mess concept is a nice idea.
I would not use this for bacon eggs. And if you are frying eggs might as well fry bacon too.
It is however very useful for BLT with no mess.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:06 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
In sports news, Masai is defending his lawsuit from that Sheriff's deputy as is the Raps, NBA and everybody he sued. Masai says the deputy assaulted him and he acted in self defense. Also of note, Fox News found the deputy had in the 90s plead guilty to felony misdemeanor insurance fraud. And the deputy is still off work on medical grounds and collecting insurance.
I saw that! And I hope he is successful. Where did I see somewhere that this police officer had been convicted of insurance fraud before?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I would not use this for bacon eggs. And if you are frying eggs might as well fry bacon too.
I tried it a few times and like it's portability to take to work and create BLT sandwiches (the aroma of bacon even after a very short time in the microwave drives co-workers crazy) but the cost convenience is high as for a packet with IIRC 8 - 10 slices you could buy a 500 g pack of uncooked bacon with 3 times the number of slices. If I can can get way more bacon cooked at home, well, quantity is worth a little convenience. Just MHO of course.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:41 pm

Your comment did put me in mind of how I grew up and cooking bacon and eggs in the UK. Fry up the bacon, then cook the eggs in the bacon fat, then quickly throw in bread to soak up the remainder and fry it for 2 minutes. Everyone but vegans and your coronaries would love it.
Really it's more me whining about living with 3 young men. Home with post-secondary closed or online. Just realized that since myself,DW and daughter came home from TO, we have spent 3 weeks with the house full. With Summer camps, out of town jobs, international studies and Summer vacation which no longer involves everyone, it has been about 3 years since we've had that. Cool on the one hand, but readjusting. Add to that I am working full time almost entirely from home right now and the office door opens to the kitchen where everyone likes to congregate....
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:46 pm

Your comment did put me in mind of how I grew up and cooking bacon and eggs in the UK. Fry up the bacon, then cook the eggs in the bacon fat, then quickly throw in bread to soak up the remainder and fry it for 2 minutes. Everyone but vegans and your coronaries would love it.
Really it's more me whining about living with 3 young men. Home with post-secondary closed or online. Just realized that since myself,DW and daughter came home from TO, we have spent 3 weeks with the house full. With Summer camps, out of town jobs, international studies and Summer vacation which no longer involves everyone, it has been about 3 years since we've had that. Cool on the one hand, but readjusting. Add to that I am working full time almost entirely from home right now and the office door opens to the kitchen where everyone likes to congregate....
C'mon if you lived in the UK, you know you got to have baked beans too.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:55 pm

C'mon if you lived in the UK, you know you got to have baked beans too.
We only did beans if it was B+E or Egg and chips for dinner. Never breakfast.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:57 pm

And most Canadians won't believe we ate that for dinner. Maybe Newfies - we should ask Codfather
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:40 pm

My parents are from the UK. Every Saturday morning it was bacon and eggs, grilled tomatoes, and bread, heavy on the bacon fat. Bacon fat was also used for the Kippers. Many years later I take my wife over to the U.K to meet the rest of the family. She couldn't undersatnd why I why I was opting for the continental breakfast. One english breakfast later she was on the continental breakfast plan.
Bohemian1 and FlY2XS like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:01 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Because no one has any experiences related to:
-booking flights
-taking flights
-lounges
-airports
-AC employees
Sure, but most people have been grounded for weeks, yet it seemed like FT was still quite active until a couple of days before I posted that. 24left had some detailed thoughts, of course, but who knows. It just seemed like an odd drop-off.

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
While overpriced and not as good as the bacon we cure and smoke at home, this stuff is THE BEST for wilderness camping.

It's well sealed, light and well, it's BACON!

I fondly recall sitting on a beach near Cape Scott staring out at the big ocean while eating a wrap made of this stuff and some grated cheese. Luxury!
Given that our previous conversations have often revolved around things like the Fogo Island Inn, Wickaninnish Inn, fine whisky, etc, is it wrong of me to be a little bit surprised that you would be out camping in the wilderness?
Bohemian1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.