Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2020, 9:36 pm

Not a fan of the Patriots but I have learned that one underestimates the Hoodie at their own risk. Something about the experts saying the Pats were in deep trouble when a guy named Bledsoe went down with an injury. That seemed to work itself out
Old Aug 19, 2020, 9:46 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by AltaBound
Not a fan of the Patriots but I have learned that one underestimates the Hoodie at their own risk. Something about the experts saying the Pats were in deep trouble when a guy named Bledsoe went down with an injury. That seemed to work itself out
I don't think either I or WTME would dismiss them completely, but the offence was bad last year and now has lost Brady (although getting Andrews back and having fewer injuries on the line could make a big difference), and the defence, which was what carried the team, has lost a lot of its key players to free agency or opt-outs. If they do anything this year, it's likely to be winning the division with a near-.500 record or sneaking in as a wild card, then using some smart game planning and a bit of luck to win a playoff game or two.

It's not impossible, but it's also not very likely. So instead of starting the season expecting to win the division and make a serious title run (as for about the past 15 years), I think this year it's hoping to just make the playoffs and see what happens.
AltaBound likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 11:03 pm

Programs: AC 75k
If there even is a season. I just see too many pitfalls for it to work out.
Seemed weird to me that the Pats had the highest opt out numbers. I honestly don't know what it means.
If the Patriot Way is all about TEAM, shouldn't more of them buy in?
Or it's more likely this year is a throw away, so don't risk your health. NO idea.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:09 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlY2XS
If there even is a season. I just see too many pitfalls for it to work out.
At this point, I think it's highly likely there will be a season. The NFL is so important to the American psyche, and they have the benefit of watching European soccer leagues, the NBA, NHL, etc, and seeing how they've managed to return to play pretty safely. And for examples of what not to do, MLB.

I think the financial pressures are also quite high on both sides. For the teams, so much revenue lost by not playing. For the players, whose careers average three years, losing a year is just so huge. A lot of those guys also have terrible financial habits and need the money more than they should.

I think some teams' plans for fans in seats are fanciful, and I'm not saying they should play, but I think they will.

Seemed weird to me that the Pats had the highest opt out numbers. I honestly don't know what it means.
If the Patriot Way is all about TEAM, shouldn't more of them buy in?
Or it's more likely this year is a throw away, so don't risk your health. NO idea.
It's an interesting question for sure. Chung and Hightower in particular are key players who've had a lot of injuries, and saving a year of wear and tear in a potentially lost season might make sense. I suspect Bill must have somehow been relatively positive on opt-outs, because I doubt so many of them would have taken the year off if he hadn't, but impossible to verify that or confirm what his motives were if he did.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 10:41 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Oh I agree, there is no way the season doesn't start. My intended message was that I seriously doubt the season will play out in its entirety as they have planned especially given the lack of any true isolation protocols.
There are too many things that can go awry. Happy to be proven wrong.
Football is big in numbers and just bad for the sharing of body fluids. We were just discussing that at work today. I remember looking down at my jersey when I was a teenager to see blood and goober all over it. Then brushed my hand over my numb face (nighttime game in November) to confirm it wasnt mine. It wasn't.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 10:50 pm

Bohemian1, I had a Golden Gun tonight. Man, that is good. I also had a Navy Grog, which was disappointing. I only used a few drops of the DeGrof's (vs the 1/4 oz of St Elizabeth in the recipe), and that was at least less overpowering. I'm finding a lot of these cocktails are heavy on herbs/spice and tartness, but not well balanced. I hated the Singapore Sling (not a big surprise, since I don't generally like gin much). The Chartreuse Swizzle was interesting last night, but probably could have done with 1 or 3/4 oz of the Chartreuse instead of 1.5 oz. Don's Own Grog and Port au Prince were good though.

Originally Posted by FlY2XS
Oh I agree, there is no way the season doesn't start. My intended message was that I seriously doubt the season will play out in its entirety as they have planned especially given the lack of any true isolation protocols.
There are too many things that can go awry. Happy to be proven wrong.
You're right about the large numbers and bodily fluids. I guess I just figure they'll find some way to muddle through and get all the games played.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:03 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Yeah, I'm a fan of the Golden Gun as well.

And I agree that a little of pimento dram goes a very long way. I usually scale that ingredient back substantially for drinks even as complex as the Twenty Seventy Swizzle.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Just got back from my fav wine bar to get my last Sunday kit before I leave.

Hugs were exchanged, and an offer to help me source wine locally (wherever "local" is) after I leave, so that I may still participate in class.
Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 11:38 am

I mostly took a break from tiki yesterday and discovered last night that Calvados and St Germain makes a simple and delicious cocktail. 1/2 of Calvados to St Germain was the recommended ratio, but it worked well in different quantities too.

Vodka, white creme de cacao, and Godiva white chocolate liqueur (1/1/1 ratio) also was nice.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 3:47 pm

Not quite a Sunday spread, but the environment is a little better.
tcook052, D582, Bohemian1 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 4:21 pm

Looks like a nice Saturday afternoon! Are you there with the calf?
Old Aug 22, 2020, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Looks like a nice Saturday afternoon! Are you there with the calf?
The calf is in Ohio. He returns in a few days for our trip to Croatia.

I'm with the bovine and two others.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 4:57 pm

Nice.

I've been making syrups. Smuggler's Cove's Mai Tai Simple Syrup and Cinnamon Syrup.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 3:50 pm

Today is my last tasting

This is central Italy (Tuscany, etc.)

The three on the side are all Sangiovese.

I'm way too lazy to type out everything else today. The do went too late last night.

Nitehawk, Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 4:17 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Today is my last tasting

This is central Italy (Tuscany, etc.)

The three on the side are all Sangiovese.

I'm way too lazy to type out everything else today. The do went too late last night.
I was gifted a set of the low wine glasses last Christmas and have come to prefer them after years of accidentally breaking the tall wine glass stems. I've also been to parties with a forest of wine glasses on a table making it more of a chore to reach over for cheese and crackers so for that reason also prefer the shorter glasses. Do you have a preference?
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.