Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Anyone know why there were fighters flying low and slow within 2 km of YYZ this morning?
They're looking for you. What did you do now?
canadiancow, Adam Smith and songsc like this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
They're looking for you. What did you do now?
They were investigating an incident where a cow was spotted flying around.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Can't be the Winnipeg Jets as they landed here in Edmonton.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Got it from an ex FTer yesterday.
I am sorry, I do not believe there is such a thing. Once an FTer, always an FTer. Even if for some weird inexplicable reason they no longer wish to claim to be one of us.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 9:15 am

Everyone else excited to have hockey back?

Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Im adjusting to the expiry of my 3 month latitude UFP yesterday. It was extended for an extra 4 months due to covid...

I bought the UFP on December 31 to bump my AQD up last year, so I have had unlimited flights for all of 2020, until now.

While I didn't travel that much during the covid period, the ability to book whatever I wanted in Y/J for no cost was pretty mentally liberating.

Today I'm doing a roadtrip through the mountains...
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
My discovery of Studio Ghibli films over the last two weeks have literally been life fuel given everything going on at work right now.
Some of my favorites are as follows - highly recommend for y'all!
  • Spirited Away
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Porco Rosso
  • Howl's Moving Castle
  • My Neighbor Totoro
  • Ponyo
  • Castle in the Sky
Also - based off my limited experience, despite not speaking more than two words of Japanese, I prefer the original voice + sub title experience instead of english dubs (even though they are done by Disney with hollywood stars)
Old Aug 1, 2020, 2:10 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
All excellent choices, although I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Princess Mononoke.

The last time I was in TYO I came back loaded down with Ghibli merch for various members of the family.
Jumper Jack likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
All excellent choices, although I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Princess Mononoke.
TBH I actually didnt connect well with Princess Mononoke or Nausica of the Valley of the Wind - maybe I should give it another try. Both films really unsettled me.

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
The last time I was in TYO I came back loaded down with Ghibli merch for various members of the family.
I wish I discovered them earlier because I would love done the same when I was in Tokyo for 26 hours in Jan 2020!
Old Aug 1, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by tcook052

I have some bad news for you..
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I have some bad news for you..
Good start to the game with an early McDavid goal squandered with poor play and puck-watching later in the first and second.

Any five-game series is a sprint rather than a marathon but Oilers gotta do much better next game if they want to move on.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 6:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
My discovery of Studio Ghibli films over the last two weeks have literally been life fuel given everything going on at work right now.
Some of my favorites are as follows - highly recommend for y'all!
  • Spirited Away
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Porco Rosso
  • Howl's Moving Castle
  • My Neighbor Totoro
  • Ponyo
  • Castle in the Sky
Also - based off my limited experience, despite not speaking more than two words of Japanese, I prefer the original voice + sub title experience instead of english dubs (even though they are done by Disney with hollywood stars)
I also prefer subs over dubs for any non-english content. I sometimes watch anime, and the dubs can be wretched.

I was underwhelmed by Howl's Moving Castle, but the rest that I've seen are top notch. I saw Princess Mononoke in the theatre back in the day. Amazing.
Bohemian1 and Jumper Jack like this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
One of the craziest examples of dubs-over-subs is that they made an entire English remake of the acclaimed Quebec TV show 19-2 instead of just broadcasting the original with English subtitles. In fact, since the show disappeared from Netflix I've never been able to find a subtitled version of the original.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 9:47 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Subs vs Dubs should not be a question. The Met doesnt have the performers sing the libretto into English.
Long standing Ghibli fans in our house, with our now grown boys bringing us along when they were teens some years ago. Some things may be formulaic, but just different from the traditional Hollywood formula.
Princess Mononoke is a family favourite (although our youngest abandoned it on the first watch years ago during the suck out the bullet scene), but its themes are incredibly nuanced and mature. Watched it multiple times with a new insight each time which I think is the mark of a good film.
Spirited Away a close second. Castle in the Sky was solid entertainment. Found Howl's Moving Castle started well but rushed the ending as if the producer forced the director to cut most of the final act.
We have been working our way through the various overlapping "seen it; didn't see it" permutations since they were made openly available. Really enjoyed finally seeing Porco Rosso.
Note that Grave of the Fireflies is not on the open watch list. With grown children and one bona fide film student in the bunch we would have been interested in seeing that. I suspect that much like Schindler's List which is in my short list of best films, the subject matter wouldn't make me feel comfortable calling it a "favourite" but I do really want to see it.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by tcook052

It is very weird watching hockey without the crowd... I'm watching the Flames vs Jets right now.

Do they have imitated crowd noise in the broadcasts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.