Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by D582
Turning on a red light is a North American phenomenon only.

Everywhere else in the world I have driven you cannot make a right (or left) turn on a red light and it is much safer for both drivers and pedestrians.
As a runner (and pedestrian in general), I do get driven nuts by drivers who refuse to look right before turning. The number of times I have been almost struck while crossing with a walk sign because someone tried to quickly go through a right turn at a red light is ridiculous.

In saying that, I would probably still not make any changes to the regulations regarding this even if I had the power to do so. Allowing people to turn right on reds saves so much time, and keeps traffic moving.
painintheuk and jc94 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I almost pulled my mom's hand brake once, when she was doing the classic "look left to make a right turn", and there was a pedestrian in her path.
Lots of people who don't drive in a city also don't remember to check the right mirror for cyclists approaching from behind before turning right.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Telus has a free preview for Apr. for TravelXP channel and one series Food, Fact, Fun had an episode in Utrecht I spied and recorded as I visited this Dutch university town in recent years and fell for its historic heart.

The guide is a nice enough young guy with perfect hair but a limited vocabulary as by my count he says 'wow' 17 times in the first 8 minutes of the half-hour show, mostly while raving about traditional Dutch cuisine.

The show and the series is worth watching for some vicarious travel fun but couldn't help chuckle and how many time he utters the word 'wow'.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by tcook052
Telus has a free preview for Apr. for TravelXP channel and one series Food, Fact, Fun had an episode in Utrecht I spied and recorded as I visited this Dutch university town in recent years and fell for its historic heart.

The guide is a nice enough young guy with perfect hair but a limited vocabulary as by my count he says 'wow' 17 times in the first 8 minutes of the half-hour show, mostly while raving about traditional Dutch cuisine.

The show and the series is worth watching for some vicarious travel fun but couldn't help chuckle and how many time he utters the word 'wow'.
Was the guide Owen Wilson?

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 18, 2020 at 9:39 pm Reason: Animated images not permitted as per FT Rules
Old Apr 18, 2020, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I love this. At times like this I wish I had mom's sewing machine.

Global News

Video:

https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/9a3c0...3/?jwsource=cl

Screen shot

they also have a FB page now

https://www.facebook.com/groups/352947645674987/
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by YYCNoob
Was the guide Owen Wilson?
No, his name is Alex as I watched another episode in Dubai he hosted but the 'wow' ratio is down considerably to about 6 for the whole show

I shouldn't judge as hosting can't be as easy at it looks but couldn't help myself as he does seem fond of the word.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:07 pm

No, his name is Alex as I watched another episode in Dubai he hosted but the 'wow' ratio is down considerably to about 6 for the whole show

I shouldn't judge as hosting can't be as easy at it looks but couldn't help myself as he does seem fond of the word.
Alex Drobin. I subscribe to TravelXP and have watched few of his episodes. He did couple shows in Montreal and Vancouver Island as well. Nice host.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
So I decided to clean out my toiletry bag this week. Quite the exciting Saturday. I honestly have no idea when I'll pack it again. It is a weird feeling.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by painintheuk
My Waterloo pizza place is likely out of business by now, but they offered free pizza plus another free pizza if it didn't arrive in 30 minutes. To everybody in 1st year residence. I don't think I paid a penny for my first year!

Dr. PITUK
Fellow UW grad here. We always gravitated to Gino Pizza....but I went there during the big Pita Fad. Our food money was spent there .
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999
So I decided to clean out my toiletry bag this week. Quite the exciting Saturday. I honestly have no idea when I'll pack it again. It is a weird feeling.
I have a separate toiletry bag only when I travel that I packed some time back. It's "ready to go" and I look at it everyday and say to myself, only few more days left before I'm back in air
Old Apr 19, 2020, 6:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Traditional Dutch cuisine makes me say "wow" as well, but more in the "wow, I can't believe that anybody voluntarily eats this stuff," kind of way. Kale or endive mixed with mashed potatoes can't even be redeemed by bacon or sausage. And don't get me started on hutspot or zuurkool.

Traditional Dutch baking is a completely different story.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by mileageking
Alex Drobin. I subscribe to TravelXP and have watched few of his episodes. He did couple shows in Montreal and Vancouver Island as well. Nice host.
The Gouda episode was just on and the 'wow' ratio was also way up there but yes, he's an affable and likable Canadian host.

There are some series on the channel such as the "City Breaks" that aren't as watchable as the Frankfurt episode hosted by Cristina sees her spend at least 90% of the show in smaller towns around Frankfurt due to some rain in the German business capital. Now, wouldn't one expect to see more of Frankfurt in a show called City Breaks Frankfurt? I know I did but that's just me and YMMV.

I do appreciate the free preview Telus if offering for a number of channels in Apr. including TravelXP as I like educational and especially travel topics to help pass the time while home self-isolating.
mileageking likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 19, 2020 at 11:56 am
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
The day started out productively........

Blueberry Bran with orange zest

But then.......

Oh well, at least it's distracting me from other things

It's booze o'clock somewhere.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think this is a little too good for AC Meals .... at home

A local wine bar is selling blind tasting kits, and the sommelier is on Zoom going over everything and walking us through it.

I apparently plated this better than most of the others who are eating it out of the plastic containers it came in. But I'm super excited.

Old Apr 19, 2020, 5:14 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Very nice! Looks like some delicious fun.

The Sauvignon blanc has a nice colour.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.