Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
It had been going to London, but now goes out as 156.
Right, but not to LHR for the last while. For the last few weeks it has shown mainly 137 -> 156 with the odd smattering of LHR.

(I guess when you say "it had been", that might have been awhile ago)
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Right, but not to LHR for the last while. For the last few weeks it has shown mainly 137 -> 156 with the odd smattering of LHR.

(I guess when you say "it had been", that might have been awhile ago)

I believe AC 137 was C-FIVW FIN 743

Recent flights/routes (if this is accurate)

https://planefinder.net/data/aircraft/C-FIVW
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K | 54,361 AQM | HH Diamond
I did AC 156 YVR -> YYZ red eye 22:30-05:30 last night

I was sitting in 6D, PAX to my right notified the SD before the doors closed that his seat was constantly inflating and deflating without prompt. The crew did a few things like resetting the seat, fiddling with the controls, until finally it seemed like it stopped. Or so we thought.

About 5 minutes after the seat belt sign goes off I get up to use the bathroom - when I come back I find the SD and the PAX with the seat entirely disassembled with them pulling pieces out of it. Apparently what happened was the lumbar support section fully inflated but wouldn't deflate making it incredibly uncomfortable to lay on.

This kicked off about 20-25 minutes of them poking and prodding until I think the SD ended up taking out or breaking the lumbar section so it would deflate.

I didn't have the same issue completely, but I also noticed my seat would randomly inflate or deflate throughout the flight - is this normal?

This was my first time trying AC's seat style intl J and I can say I'm underwhelmed. As a 6' tall guy I barely fit into that tiny little compartment and I found the awkwardness of the seat to be very uncomfortable. They should have just bought the same seats Lufthansa uses on their business class seats and completely avoided the inflating / deflating seats completely. Moot point anyways - I heard the SD telling the PAX all these seats will be gone by June anyways but that doesn't help me next week as I'm on the same flight again :/.

I hope that guy got a significant refund on it, and to his credit one of the things he insisted on was getting it on the maintenance log so the next guy wouldn't have to deal with it.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by domfreqflyer
I did AC 156 YVR -> YYZ red eye 22:30-05:30 last night

I was sitting in 6D, PAX to my right notified the SD before the doors closed that his seat was constantly inflating and deflating without prompt. The crew did a few things like resetting the seat, fiddling with the controls, until finally it seemed like it stopped. Or so we thought.

About 5 minutes after the seat belt sign goes off I get up to use the bathroom - when I come back I find the SD and the PAX with the seat entirely disassembled with them pulling pieces out of it. Apparently what happened was the lumbar support section fully inflated but wouldn't deflate making it incredibly uncomfortable to lay on.

This kicked off about 20-25 minutes of them poking and prodding until I think the SD ended up taking out or breaking the lumbar section so it would deflate.

I didn't have the same issue completely, but I also noticed my seat would randomly inflate or deflate throughout the flight - is this normal?

This was my first time trying AC's seat style intl J and I can say I'm underwhelmed. As a 6' tall guy I barely fit into that tiny little compartment and I found the awkwardness of the seat to be very uncomfortable. They should have just bought the same seats Lufthansa uses on their business class seats and completely avoided the inflating / deflating seats completely. Moot point anyways - I heard the SD telling the PAX all these seats will be gone by June anyways but that doesn't help me next week as I'm on the same flight again :/.

I hope that guy got a significant refund on it, and to his credit one of the things he insisted on was getting it on the maintenance log so the next guy wouldn't have to deal with it.
Yikes. You went to Atlantic City first before going to Vegas for the first time. Maybe that's a good thing.

Yes, I often get phantom lumbar movement while in those dreadful HD J seats. Sorry you had to experience that.

May I offer you a suggestion to fly on an AC 788/9 in J?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K | 54,361 AQM | HH Diamond
Yikes. You went to Atlantic City first before going to Vegas for the first time. Maybe that's a good thing.

Yes, I often get phantom lumbar movement while in those dreadful HD J seats. Sorry you had to experience that.

May I offer you a suggestion to fly on an AC 788/9 in J?

Ahh sorry I should have been more clear - I've done the J pods quite a few times times just not the side by side seat style (don't know what to call it).

I've actually been trying to get the 787 for a while but my schedule just doesn't allow for it. I was actually pumped to get the 777 vs the standard a320 which is what I usually end up with on that route.

The lumbar inflate / deflate thing was really annoying - I wish the seat had a button to just deflate + turn off. I hate trying to fiddle with the controls.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by domfreqflyer
Ahh sorry I should have been more clear - I've done the J pods quite a few times times just not the side by side seat style (don't know what to call it).

I've actually been trying to get the 787 for a while but my schedule just doesn't allow for it. I was actually pumped to get the 777 vs the standard a320 which is what I usually end up with on that route.

The lumbar inflate / deflate thing was really annoying - I wish the seat had a button to just deflate + turn off. I hate trying to fiddle with the controls.
Yeah those HD J seats are brutal. The control on the table surface is prone to accidental touches and brushes that cause the seat to move as well. That swivel table is pretty lame. Sometimes it slams into my gut when I press the button - like whiplash to the gut. Then after it hits my gut I feel the waves of fat ripple up to my triple chin.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Yeah those HD J seats are brutal. The control on the table surface is prone to accidental touches and brushes that cause the seat to move as well. That swivel table is pretty lame. Sometimes it slams into my gut when I press the button - like whiplash to the gut. Then after it hits my gut I feel the waves of fat ripple up to my triple chin.
Too much information.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: *$ Green
What aggravates me is that I accidently move the seat with my elbow, but when I try to legit move it, I can't seem to click the button.

It's like I haven't developped the technique yet.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
What aggravates me is that I accidently move the seat with my elbow, but when I try to legit move it, I can't seem to click the button.

It's like I haven't developped the technique yet.
Give it six months, and you'll be a pro
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:27 am

So, I've got a flight coming up in a little less than two weeks and have discovered that they've swapped out my 773 for a 777HD. My seat assignment in Y (Aisle seat) hasn't changed, but I notice that one of the preferred seats (18C) is available. Never having been on one of these (777HD), I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade. Being one of the last to board I'm concerned that I won't get space to put my backpack in there (carrying my laptop and other important items). The extra leg room would be nice (6.0' tall) but not critical. I don't have status at the moment (so would have to pay for it as this is a personal trip).

Some advice would be appreciated.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: AC*A
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
So, I've got a flight coming up in a little less than two weeks and have discovered that they've swapped out my 773 for a 777HD. My seat assignment in Y (Aisle seat) hasn't changed, but I notice that one of the preferred seats (18C) is available. Never having been on one of these (777HD), I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade. Being one of the last to board I'm concerned that I won't get space to put my backpack in there (carrying my laptop and other important items). The extra leg room would be nice (6.0' tall) but not critical. I don't have status at the moment (so would have to pay for it as this is a personal trip).

Some advice would be appreciated.
Depending on your flight, it is more likely that you are getting a reconfigured 777-300ER with the new cabin. You might be able to find out more info on this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...its-777-a.html
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Orcair
Depending on your flight, it is more likely that you are getting a reconfigured 777-300ER with the new cabin. You might be able to find out more info on this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...its-777-a.html
It could be. Airplane is (currently) a 77F... never seen that before, but considering it's 10 across, I assumed it would be the 777HD.

Flight is PEK to YYZ (AC32) if that helps. From Flightradar, it's a mixed bag of fins. Ah well, maybe I'll just stick it out and see how it plays. Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
It could be. Airplane is (currently) a 77F... never seen that before, but considering it's 10 across, I assumed it would be the 777HD.

Flight is PEK to YYZ (AC32) if that helps. From Flightradar, it's a mixed bag of fins. Ah well, maybe I'll just stick it out and see how it plays. Thanks.
The 777HD exclusively operates
YVR-YYZ/LHR/HKG
YUL-CDG/LHR/YYZ (last 2 are seasonal)

You are on a refurbished 77W. It looks like AC is making YYZ-PEK a dedicated 77W (40J) route much earlier than planned (was supposed to be 11MAY).
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
As of Feb 1st, I flew what will probably be my last flight in the J cabin of a 777HD. I blew all of my remaining 2015 eupgrade credits to upgrade from PE to J for a YVR-LHR segment. (I took a 4 month break from travel last fall so I did not make SE100K for 2016. As of the end of February, I'll be E50, so no more international upgrades.)

My last impression of the 777HD J cabin was no different than the first. I consider the 777HD aircraft to be a symbolic middle upraised finger from AC to its customers, and in particular, its YVR based customers, who get stuck with this <EXPLETIVES DELETED> aircraft for so many routes. The only tolerable seats in this aircraft are the PE cabin. Fortunately, at least for now, the company I work for will pay for PE, so hopefully I'll be able to stick to my vow to never fly in the Y cabin.

It's fitting for me to press the submit button for this post using my index finger. FU AC.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
As of Feb 1st, I flew what will probably be my last flight in the J cabin of a 777HD. I blew all of my remaining 2015 eupgrade credits to upgrade from PE to J for a YVR-LHR segment. (I took a 4 month break from travel last fall so I did not make SE100K for 2016. As of the end of February, I'll be E50, so no more international upgrades.)

My last impression of the 777HD J cabin was no different than the first. I consider the 777HD aircraft to be a symbolic middle upraised finger from AC to its customers, and in particular, its YVR based customers, who get stuck with this <EXPLETIVES DELETED> aircraft for so many routes. The only tolerable seats in this aircraft are the PE cabin. Fortunately, at least for now, the company I work for will pay for PE, so hopefully I'll be able to stick to my vow to never fly in the Y cabin.

It's fitting for me to press the submit button for this post using my index finger. FU AC.

Lmao, the poor souls who got equipment swap on my YVR YYZ flight must be happy with this last min equipment swap lmao. Thank god i paid for pe seats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.