Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Forget about $10 per hour, a lot of pax will not pay $3 or less per hour. I know people who will fly Westjet YVR to YZZ instead of AC because the ticket is $5 less and tell me AC is to expensive. I have even given them MLL passes and they don't care. The majority of pax just want cheap and the airlines are racing to the bottom to give it to them.
And AC has no problem to charge insane price of pe on tpac that is at 2X, some times even 3x of tango. Generally no way for people like me to pay for the old 777 experience at a reasonable price on TPAC, Trans atlantic is another story however.

This race to the bottom makes me feel like casualty of friendily fire as someone who is okay to pay 10-15% more just for a humane experience- the old 777 long haul experience before it went to complete trash

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Feb 14, 2016 at 10:27 pm
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Jack Jia
And AC has no problem to charge insane price of pe on tpac that is at 2X, some times even 3x of tango. Generally no way for people like me to pay for the old 777 experience at a reasonable price on TPAC, Trans atlantic is another story however.

This race to the bottom makes me feel like casualty of friendily fire as someone who is okay to pay 10-15% more just for a humane experience- the old 777 long haul experience before it went to complete trash
You can still buy a exit row/bulkhead preferred seat for the "old 777 experience" (actually much better than the old 777). It's usually $120 for YVR-HKG.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:38 pm

Tango isn't sustainable per unit of space or weight. Do you honestly think AC can make money filling a 777 entirely with $0.07/mile Tango fares? No, when you book that you are subsidized by the flex, latitude, PY flex and business passengers surrounding you. The Tango fares are filler.

Just because PY only uses 1.5x the space of Y doesn't mean they should only charge 1.5x the price of the cheapest Y ticket. J uses 3 times the space of Y and similarly I don't expect to buy J for 3x Tango price.

For those very few like you who actually want to pay 10-15% more for a bit of extra space, there's 20-30 Y+ seats for sale as an add-on to even Tango fares. Yet they are consistently available - what does that tell you about the paying public.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by eigenvector
You can still buy a exit row/bulkhead preferred seat for the "old 777 experience" (actually much better than the old 777). It's usually $120 for YVR-HKG.
Well, I did try it, and still thinks that its worse than old 777 in every way and honestly, barely a marginal improvement over non p seat.
If AC really want to charge 150-200 more, they need to make it 3 3 3 like how AA does.(which to me is the best solution)
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Why would PY not be "significantly" more than Tango?

Shouldn't it be more than Flex for N/E and more than full Y Latitude for O?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Tango isn't sustainable per unit of space or weight. Do you honestly think AC can make money filling a 777 entirely with $0.07/mile Tango fares? No, when you book that you are subsidized by the flex, latitude, PY flex and business passengers surrounding you. The Tango fares are filler.

Just because PY only uses 1.5x the space of Y doesn't mean they should only charge 1.5x the price of the cheapest Y ticket. J uses 3 times the space of Y and similarly I don't expect to buy J for 3x Tango price.

For those very few like you who actually want to pay 10-15% more for a bit of extra space, there's 20-30 Y+ seats for sale as an add-on to even Tango fares. Yet they are consistently available - what does that tell you about the paying public.

Well to be fair, thats what I would expect.
If you look at routes like YYZ-PVG, thats exactly how much more AC charges (3X), which I think is long overdue in biz.
That Y+ seating in HD is not worth the extra 15% to me unless its 3-3-3 seating arrangement.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life

If you think tango fares on TPAC flights are profitable for AC, you are leading the charge to the bottom and you are not a casualty of friendly fire.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Why would PY not be "significantly" more than Tango?

Shouldn't it be more than Flex for N/E and more than full Y Latitude for O?
Uhm... No?
A fair comparison would be to PE Flex compare to latitude?
I am talking about PE Lowest
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
If you think tango fares on TPAC flights are profitable for AC, you are leading the charge to the bottom and you are not a casualty of friendly fire.
I think that at 15-25% more than current price at 3-3-3 would not be any more unprofitable than 3-4-3 at current price
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Uhm... No?
A fair comparison would be to PE Flex compare to latitude?
I am talking about PE Lowest
A fair comparison for PY lowest (N and E fares) is to Flex, not Tango.

And by "fair comparison", I mean it should cost a fair bit more.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:12 pm

I think that at 15-25% more than current price at 3-3-3 would not be any more unprofitable than 3-4-3 at current price
LOL they can't sell 3-3-3 for a 15-25% premium over 3-4-3! How exactly do BA, CX, CZ prices compare on routes they try to compete directly against AC's 17-17.3" wide 777/787? People chose the 777HD instead of 763 last summer YUL-CDG for literally identical fare bucket pricing, just choosing on departure times differing 2 hours. NO ONE (really, very few to be accurate) cares about 10-abreast 777s.

If they could fill 9-abreast just as profitably as 10-abreast AC wouldn't be spending 10s of millions of dollars retrofitting to 10-abreast. There was still a ton of life left in those old seats. And the AVOD units in particular are a fortune.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Get use to 10 across seating on the 777. Boeing now markets the aircraft with 10 across seating. With the current model of 777's, most are delivered with 10 across. Airlines that have the current most of 777's with 9 across seating, the majority are thinking about adding a row. The only US airline I know with the current of 777 is UA(on order) and they will be delivered with 10 across seating.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
LOL they can't sell 3-3-3 for a 15-25% premium over 3-4-3! How exactly do BA, CX, CZ prices compare on routes they try to compete directly against AC's 17-17.3" wide 777/787? People chose the 777HD instead of 763 last summer YUL-CDG for literally identical fare bucket pricing, just choosing on departure times differing 2 hours. NO ONE (really, very few to be accurate) cares about 10-abreast 777s.

If they could fill 9-abreast just as profitably as 10-abreast AC wouldn't be spending 10s of millions of dollars retrofitting to 10-abreast. There was still a ton of life left in those old seats. And the AVOD units in particular are a fortune.
You mean they could not fit 3 rows of 9 abreast on 777 at 15-25% more?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
The trouble is that this 15-25% discount in fares had made it "affordable" for more lower income or frugal/cheap people to travel. These people would otherwise not fly YVR-HKG if it weren't often $800-1000 RT (and sometimes even less)

A partially filled 3-3-3 Y at a 15-25% higher fare will make less money than a full 3-4-3 Y at a lower fare.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
The trouble is that this 15-25% discount in fares had made it "affordable" for more lower income or frugal/cheap people to travel. These people would otherwise not fly YVR-HKG if it weren't often $800-1000 (and sometimes even less)

A partially filled 3-3-3 Y at a 15-25% higher fare will make less money than a full 3-4-3 Y at a lower fare.
I understand that. What I am troubled by is why not enough airlines follow the AA model of having 2 to 3 rows at 3-3-3 for people who are willing to pay the old price before 15-25% mark down we see today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.