Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Why not LON-YOW/YYC-YVR, which uses the 763 on the TATL component?
Because thats indirect, surely the 787 (The alternative direct) isn't THAT bad that its worth forgoing nonstop for?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Is bin space an issue in J on this aircraft? (can I board later rather than during zone 1 boarding and not worry about bags?) - 2 bags. Thanks
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Is bin space an issue in J on this aircraft? (can I board later rather than during zone 1 boarding and not worry about bags?) - 2 bags. Thanks
J not so much. The aircraft has centre line bins, and after having spent a month on this aircraft way back, never seemed to be an issue. Bear in mind that crew suitcases are also checked on this aircraft, further liberating overhead space.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What do you mean "2 bags"?

If they're both legal, the small one will easily fit "under the seat in front of you".

The centre bins (or at least the one above row 7) requires you to turn a full size roller sideways to fit it in, so between that and my laptop bag, I basically monopolize the entire bin.

But I've also never had a problem, and for various reasons, I often board these aircraft late.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Never had an issue. Lots of bin space, even for the late boarders (maybe not right above your seat though )
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Bin setup is just like the other "normal" 777s in the fleet.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Bin setup is just like the other "normal" 777s in the fleet.
I don't think it is the bin configuration per se but the greater number of pax potentially trying to stuff those bins that concerns him.

Last edited by The Lev; Dec 10, 2015 at 7:31 am
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I don't think J can ever have an O/H issue, can it?

If econ mostly fits everything with 50% more pax per row, I am pretty sure J should have enough room

I know it's not the 777HD, but on the 77L there was too much room. And on the 787, there was WAY too much room (and I was row 2).
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I don't think J can ever have an O/H issue, can it?

If econ mostly fits everything with 50% more pax per row, I am pretty sure J should have enough room

I know it's not the 777HD, but on the 77L there was too much room. And on the 787, there was WAY too much room (and I was row 2).
Yes, I ran into this on the SFO Micro Do flight. It was on a very old 767 (that had the really small bins) and to answer your question, yes, J can have an overhead issue, even on a widebody.

I did find it interesting about ACYYZ/SD's comment though about crews now being forced to check bags on the HD. I believe it's specific to this aircraft, right?

I don't recall crews being forced to check bags on other birds?

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Dec 10, 2015 at 4:57 pm Reason: adding "that had the really small bins"
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:56 pm

I've had 6 WB J flights, and never came close to being full (only 777/787s)

The SFO Micro Do was a 767, but does it have smaller bins than 777s? I would assume that the 777HD bins are the same as the 2 cabin 773 and 772, and the 777 bins are really huge, while the 787 bins are humongous.

If 320s in J can "handle" a full J cabin, I wouldn't worry about the 777HD O/H bins in J.

Matter of fact, I have never cared about boarding J early on a wide body because I know there will be bin space regardless. (Note: I do board early, but that's either because I like to change to something comfortable for sleeping in before the flight, or because I don't feel like being last minute and want to avoid the mixed boarding mess.)

Moral of the story is, given my personal experience, I wouldn't worry about bin space for any 777/787 flights.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Guys, the very "old" 763 is exactly what I was on a couple of times to LAX with those ancient and small bins where even an undersize carry-on with wheels did not fit and had to go in sideways.

I posted in another thread that on one occasion, I checked and it was original CP equipment that went to Varig for 9 years and then to AC.

SAP - why so much concern about OH bins on the 77?

I've never seen completely full J bins on the 788 or 77s, and on more than one occasion, my carry-on was the only item in the bin.

Last edited by 24left; Dec 10, 2015 at 6:00 pm Reason: spelling (optional)
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 24left
SAP - why so much concern about OH bins on the 77?
It was a concern until ACYYZ/SD stepped in. It's my first HD flight and I wanted to make sure my bags go up top. I've been (almost) burned twice this year with overhead bin space, and didn't want to be burned a 3rd time!

My concern was exactly what The Lev posted about. Given the increase in density, is it a big deal in J?

Conclusion: Nope! Thanks FT.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:13 pm

It was a concern until ACYYZ/SD stepped in. [...]
Pfffttt. You trust AC more than us? Preposterous.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The SFO Micro Do was a 767, but does it have smaller bins than 777s?
Yes. They're tiny. I actually had to rotate mine 180 degrees (and it was already sideways) for the latch to lock. It was ridiculous.

If 320s in J can "handle" a full J cabin, I wouldn't worry about the 777HD O/H bins in J.
I challenge your definition of "handle" (recognizing you put it in quotes).

On a 320 that was 13/14 in J (so not even full), I had to put my bag in the closet.

I board first on narrow bodies, and last (or at the very least, I aim for T-20. Sometimes that's actually "final call for Mr. cow", sometimes they're still on zone 3, but I can't risk waiting longer) on wide bodies.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Soon boarding another Woolly Mammoth HD for AC137.

I was originally on 149 and ignorantly forgot to check EF for Y inventory so that I don't lose my R seat trying to do a switcharoo.

Well, 149 was Y0 when I tried the switcharoo, so I struck out and had to go with the 6pm HD.

Poor me.

Hello to the high horse cakehole trolls!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.