Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
The positives don't make up for the negatives. Thank god there days are numbered. For the very few that like them, there are a few European airlines still installing these seats.
I'm glad. They really are terrible and caused me to simply stop flying AC to HKG and LHR. Whatever AC exec approved putting them in should be moved to the smallest cubicle in the building for the next year to make a point.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by ceaton
I'm glad. They really are terrible and caused me to simply stop flying AC to HKG and LHR. Whatever AC exec approved putting them in should be moved to the smallest cubicle in the building for the next year to make a point.
No AC exec approved the seats. Boeing sold the first grouping of the HD to AC at fire sale prices. The HD aircraft were for Swiss Air and had the seats already installed, but the airline did not take delivery on them. Swiss air has now taken delivery of the 777 and they put these same seat in.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
No AC exec approved the seats. Boeing sold the first grouping of the HD to AC at fire sale prices. The HD aircraft were for Swiss Air and had the seats already installed, but the airline did not take delivery on them. Swiss air has now taken delivery of the 777 and they put these same seat in.
Correct. And they got them at dirt cheap because of the 787 delays. 5 of them, to be precise.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

That said......

Take a look at the seats/ cabins etc

Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
That said......

Take a look at the seats/ cabins etc

SWISS will renew its long-haul aircraft fleet with Boeing 777 - YouTube
thanks for sharing the video. they dress up the J-coffin seats very nicely. it looks very appealing (and hence misleading)
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:31 am

None of the 5 777HDs were built when AC bought them. No seats had been installed. Unlikely they were for Swiss - we've now heard ANA, AC/VS JV, Swiss.. unless you have something else to back it up. As I mentioned the PY seats had purple upholstery ie Virgin before refit by AC in YUL prior to service entry.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
None of the 5 777HDs were built when AC bought them. No seats had been installed. Unlikely they were for Swiss - we've now heard ANA, AC/VS JV, Swiss.. unless you have something else to back it up. As I mentioned the PY seats had purple upholstery ie Virgin before refit by AC in YUL prior to service entry.
???? I don't know where you got your info. A few of the planes were already painted Swissair and had to be re-painted for AC.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
???? I don't know where you got your info. A few of the planes were already painted Swissair and had to be re-painted for AC.
I didn't realize LX has a purple colour scheme, despite having flown them often. I'd love to see your source on the "re-painted" assertion.

This seems to be one of those mysteries that everyone has an opinion on yet no one can presents any facts.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold

For the Record:

AC announced the 777HD in Feb 7 2013
http://economyclassandbeyond.boardin....y1AOZdul.dpbs

LX did not order the 77W until March 14 2013
http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2013-03-...Six-777-300ERs

It is impossible that the 777HD's were originally for Swiss...
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Has anyone thought about the possibility it's for a leasing company or unnamed government/VIP purchase?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dls25
For the Record:

AC announced the 777HD in Feb 7 2013
http://economyclassandbeyond.boardin....y1AOZdul.dpbs

LX did not order the 77W until March 14 2013
http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2013-03-...Six-777-300ERs

It is impossible that the 777HD's were originally for Swiss...
You know that Swiss is a different airline than Swissair? Swissair went bankrupt in the early 2000's.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:29 pm

None of the 777s ever wore colours other than AC. They were built as 777-333ERs. Check the build dates.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
None of the 777s ever wore colours other than AC. They were built as 777-333ERs. Check the build dates.
Correct. I think someone is trolling and is best ignored...
Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Perhaps some folks here are missing the hidden psychological benefit/rationale in asserting that AC's HDs were originally intended for another carrier (purple interior notwithstanding).

By allowing oneself to believe that AC got these birds on a deal from Boeing due to late delivery of the 788s, is a coping mechanism. Many (including me) can't stand the seating and wonder how anyone at AC could have ordered those things - even if they serve the purpose for specific routes.

By "accepting" the idea that those aircraft were destined elsewhere and accepting a reason AC got them, some can calm themselves with the fantasy that no sane airline exec would ever buy these things (well in North America anyway).

See, your day just got a tiny bit better with this gem of a rationale.

(you know I just couldn't resist)

Last edited by 24left; Mar 15, 2016 at 5:08 pm Reason: lost an "e"
Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: AC*A
I've just been scrolling through the Boeing Order list from around 2005 until 2010 for 5 units and there is none for Swiss, which Boeing would have had to report as a public company (there were no unidentified orders for 5 either)... Unless you mean it was part of a larger order from a leasing company?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.