Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jack Jia
I understand that. What I am troubled by is why not enough airlines follow the AA model of having 2 to 3 rows at 3-3-3 for people who are willing to pay the old price before 15-25% mark down we see today.
Because Canadians are cheap and you'd be left with 2 to 2.8 empty rows of 3-3-3.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
I understand that. What I am troubled by is why not enough airlines follow the AA model of having 2 to 3 rows at 3-3-3 for people who are willing to pay the old price before 15-25% mark down we see today.
Because most pax will not pay the price. Look at AC PE, PE low is a great price, but is almost always available.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Because Canadians are cheap and you'd be left with 2 to 2.8 empty rows of 3-3-3.
And entitled.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:51 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Because most pax will not pay the price. Look at AC PE, PE low is a great price, but is almost always available.
Maybe I am too cheap, but 2X tango price is not exactly great price for me.
I would buy YYZ-LHR though currently at 55% more than tango.(which really seem like what they should have charged in the first place.) Running away before being flamed for saying that lol.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:09 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Maybe I am too cheap, but 2X tango price is not exactly great price for me.
I would buy YYZ-LHR though currently at 55% more than tango.(which really seem like what they should have charged in the first place.) Running away before being flamed for saying that lol.
YYZ-LHR they are competing directly with BA WT+, YYZ-PVG has no competition for PY.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
YYZ-LHR they are competing directly with BA WT+, YYZ-PVG has no competition for PY.
MU just had a promotion (and may still be available) selling business class (not PY) YYZ-PVG for C$2,970 all-in roundtrip. Blackout 14/8 to 12/9.

To HKG, as long as you don't mind an overnight at PEK, HU is selling business class YYZ-PEK-HKG for C$2,800 all-in return.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
I was considering PE on the YYZ-HND route, but the price was 2.5 x the cheapest tango price. Sorry, but that is far too high a premium to pay

I have flown PE on that route previously, but the price premium was a lot less then that is today.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mapleg
I was considering PE on the YYZ-HND route, but the price was 2.5 x the cheapest tango price. Sorry, but that is far too high a premium to pay

I have flown PE on that route previously, but the price premium was a lot less then that is today.
That why AC went 10 across because pax like you will not pay.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:46 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
I will in fact pay. I have paid for business class on that route as I felt it was worth it compared to an economy ticket.

In rough numbers the cheapest economy flight was under 1100. PE was 2700 to 3000. Business class was 3500 to 3800 at the lower end.

PE is , to me, not worth an extra 1600-1900, but business class is worth 2500 more.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:00 pm

Forget about $10 per hour, a lot of pax will not pay $3 or less per hour. I know people who will fly Westjet YVR to YZZ instead of AC because the ticket is $5 less and tell me AC is to expensive. I have even given them MLL passes and they don't care. The majority of pax just want cheap and the airlines are racing to the bottom to give it to them.
I would say it depends on what the person values. Case in point, I recently bought some round trip tickets (Tango) to Beijing. Cost me roughly $900. During my last trip, I wanted to try the preferred seating and premium Y product (Refurbed 777). They wanted over $700 for one way Premium Y... I wanted to try it, but not at the price of doubling my ticket. If it was $300 or $350 more, I would have jumped at the offer. A lot of the people at my work place would do so as well. Basically AC gets some good prices for me (at least to places I go to), but then blows it when they try to upsell me.

If I perceive good value and I can afford it, I will go for stuff. But when I see a gouging coming, I tend not to move or I might say screw that and change my plans... And AC (in this case) loses out on getting my premium. While my contribution isn't that great, collectively it adds up. In both of my flights, the premium Y cabin went out mostly empty. Most people didn't know about the upgrade of metal, but still, AC decided to price themselves out of many upgrades that they could have gotten based on the passenger demographics I saw...
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I would say it depends on what the person values. Case in point, I recently bought some round trip tickets (Tango) to Beijing. Cost me roughly $900. During my last trip, I wanted to try the preferred seating and premium Y product (Refurbed 777). They wanted over $700 for one way Premium Y... I wanted to try it, but not at the price of doubling my ticket. If it was $300 or $350 more, I would have jumped at the offer. A lot of the people at my work place would do so as well. Basically AC gets some good prices for me (at least to places I go to), but then blows it when they try to upsell me.

If I perceive good value and I can afford it, I will go for stuff. But when I see a gouging coming, I tend not to move or I might say screw that and change my plans... And AC (in this case) loses out on getting my premium. While my contribution isn't that great, collectively it adds up. In both of my flights, the premium Y cabin went out mostly empty. Most people didn't know about the upgrade of metal, but still, AC decided to price themselves out of many upgrades that they could have gotten based on the passenger demographics I saw...
Well...we are considered to be bottom feeders and our tickets are graciously paid partly by those who bought flex and up. So naturally asking for a reasonable upsell or even a humane experience is obviously out of question
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:38 pm

LOL, Because we don't want to be pay rip-off prices for a seat that is really only 30-35% more space than 3-4-3 seating?

AC priced themselves out of people flying PE by asking 2X-3X of tango, not us.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Feb 16, 2016 at 6:34 pm
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
NO ONE (really, very few to be accurate) cares about 10-abreast 777s.
The average person doesn't have the information available to make an informed decision on this. So they don't use that information in their booking decision. It's not that they don't care, given a side by side live test they will absolutely have a preference.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
LOL they can't sell 3-3-3 for a 15-25% premium over 3-4-3! How exactly do BA, CX, CZ prices compare on routes they try to compete directly against AC's 17-17.3" wide 777/787? People chose the 777HD instead of 763 last summer YUL-CDG for literally identical fare bucket pricing, just choosing on departure times differing 2 hours. NO ONE (really, very few to be accurate) cares about 10-abreast 777s.

If they could fill 9-abreast just as profitably as 10-abreast AC wouldn't be spending 10s of millions of dollars retrofitting to 10-abreast. There was still a ton of life left in those old seats. And the AVOD units in particular are a fortune.
I disagree with the statement that people don't care about 10 across. Most people have no clue, due to the way AC is obfuscating which aircraft are 9 across and which are 10 across. The website says 77W and the only way to know which configuration is to look at the seat map. Personally, I routinely pay for Y+ on UA to get more legroom. Fortunately I am able to fly in PE. However, were I not, I would do anything possible to avoid 10 across Y, including taking a longer less convenient routing. If I wasn't in PE, I would certainly pay more for 9 across or 10 across with more legroom. We will never know the real answer to the question do people care about 10 across and are they willing to pay more for 9 across and/or more legroom, because AC won't offer it. Considering the wide range in fares for the very same seat, I think there should be a corresponding range in comfort. If you want the very cheapest seat? Then you get the least comfortable seat.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
I disagree with the statement that people don't care about 10 across. Most people have no clue, due to the way AC is obfuscating which aircraft are 9 across and which are 10 across. The website says 77W and the only way to know which configuration is to look at the seat map. Personally, I routinely pay for Y+ on UA to get more legroom. Fortunately I am able to fly in PE. However, were I not, I would do anything possible to avoid 10 across Y, including taking a longer less convenient routing. If I wasn't in PE, I would certainly pay more for 9 across or 10 across with more legroom. We will never know the real answer to the question do people care about 10 across and are they willing to pay more for 9 across and/or more legroom, because AC won't offer it. Considering the wide range in fares for the very same seat, I think there should be a corresponding range in comfort. If you want the very cheapest seat? Then you get the least comfortable seat.
I think 10 is the absolute threshold and there is no way AC can attempt to make it any smaller. So I guess this is it, this is as awful its going to get in the Y Cabin.Legroom wise another inch or two reduction is coming. But I think there will come a time when the superior product wins when it comes to loads. Funny thing is since street cares a lot about load factor(which will bite AC in its arse at some point)

And I think its complete BS to say that the 3 rows of 3-3-3 is not going to be filled. (It won't be filled only because AC refuse to charge proper price in relation to the product they are selling- PE on YYZ-LHR prime example)
There will be more than 10% of people on any given Flight that A) Has some kind of status B) Flies for Business
Take out the complete scam PY cabin(That we know its doing extremely poorly on some major routes because people know what its worth,How AC manage to charge that much on TPAC is puzzling), have a proper Y+ Section with 3 rows at 15% markup, no way it won't succeed. (Sigh only If its worth it for me time wise to fly to a city served by American Airlines for Y+ )

FLAME AWAY

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Feb 16, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.