Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2015, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you need a workspace, it's actually the best AC J product.

For a daytime transcon where I plan to do work, I'd rather have the throne on the HD than anything else.
Honestly, I don't work on planes. I leave all my work in my bag...and after yyznomad's comments at the YOW Do and reading what many post on here, I'm smart enough to never set foot on this bird
Old May 3, 2015, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Honestly, I don't work on planes. I leave all my work in my bag...and after yyznomad's comments at the YOW Do and reading what many post on here, I'm smart enough to never set foot on this bird
How caught up/behind I am with my work, whether such work requires internet connectivity, what class of service I am seated in, and the flight's timing can influence whether I work or not on a flight in my experiences.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM

For a daytime transcon where I plan to do work, I'd rather have the throne on the HD than anything else.
Agree.

Sleeping... not so much.
Old May 3, 2015, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmax
A couple weeks ago on HD YYZ-YVR I overheard one passenger commenting on how much he loves the new (HD J) seating and how it's so much better than the pods. My neighbour and I were cringing. But I guess there are some who will prefer it... weird.
I am good with the single J seat on the 777HD
Old May 3, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
Originally Posted by acysb87
Me too.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Sorry - disagree wholeheartedly.

788 J workspace beats HD.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a masochist. Good on you.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Sorry - disagree wholeheartedly.

788 J workspace beats HD.
How?

788 has a side area and a tray table. HD throne has two side areas and a tray table.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How?

788 has a side area and a tray table. HD throne has two side areas and a tray table.
It's subjective. I'm just saying I disagree with you as my experiences working in 788 J has been much more pleasant than 777HD.
For me, the 788 J seat and cabin atmosphere makes me way, way more productive than the HD hands down. But that's just me.
Old May 4, 2015, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a masochist. Good on you.
You're the fella trying for 1 million Q miles this year and I am a masochist?
Old May 4, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
I was on an HD recently, and while snapping a picture of my seat before deplaning in YVR, the SD said "Get it while you can, it won't be here long" and suggested that the conversions on the 777 fleet are underway. He said he'd been flying with a captain (not clear if today's captain, or another recently) who had ferried one of the 77Ls down there for the refurb.

He suggested all the 777-300s will have the same config post-refurb, and said it would be "about 50" less in total than the current HD setup. I asked if they were going 10-abreast across the 777 fleet, and he replied that he did not know.

I thought the previous word was that the HDs would remain HDs, while the non-HDs would remain non-HD, but would have PE installed and likely take on additional Y seats along with the new J, so I'm not sure what to make of this. I also thought refurbs were likely to be done much further afield (SIN?) than Georgia.

I make no claim to the accuracy of this information, just repeating what I was told.
Old May 4, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL. That was just a thought...still haven't decided to commit just yet. So therefore, not yet a masochist
Old May 4, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: *$ Green
LOL. That was just a thought...still haven't decided to commit just yet. So therefore, not yet a masochist
yyznomad = MASOCHIST, confirmed on FT
Old May 5, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: E50K
Well this thread was aptly named and with the refurbs underway (possibly) it will be good riddance to the terrible J config. Everything commented on here was spot on. Uncomfortable seat, although at 5'9" and 160 had no problem with the "coffin". Very awkward seat controls and really just the up or lie flat position are tolerable. Whoever designed the tray table should have their certificate in industrial design revoked. It is just stupid! In any event, not long for this world.

Went for a stroll at one point. Would never book economy on one of these. And since it looks like the 10 across will stay, will have to watch where they are deployed and look at
other options. It appears inhumane for a 13 hour flight. Even as a relatively small person I don't think I could tolerate it.

On a brighter note, PE looked fine and tolerable. A separation from y would have been nice like in the 787. Maybe that will come in the refurb. Basically Y of 20 or so years ago so I guess there is that option if the prices don't climb too high. Will be flying with the family YUL to CDG in PE on an HD so will learn more then.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jjlm
Well this thread was aptly named and with the refurbs underway (possibly) it will be good riddance to the terrible J config. Everything commented on here was spot on. Uncomfortable seat, although at 5'9" and 160 had no problem with the "coffin". Very awkward seat controls and really just the up or lie flat position are tolerable. Whoever designed the tray table should have their certificate in industrial design revoked. It is just stupid! In any event, not long for this world.

Went for a stroll at one point. Would never book economy on one of these. And since it looks like the 10 across will stay, will have to watch where they are deployed and look at
other options. It appears inhumane for a 13 hour flight. Even as a relatively small person I don't think I could tolerate it.

On a brighter note, PE looked fine and tolerable. A separation from y would have been nice like in the 787. Maybe that will come in the refurb. Basically Y of 20 or so years ago so I guess there is that option if the prices don't climb too high. Will be flying with the family YUL to CDG in PE on an HD so will learn more then.
Is there a separation from Y on the 787? I didn't think so, then again i've only flown J on that bird so I may very well be wrong.

Anyways, to your comment about 10 across will stay and that you'll have to watch where they are deployed, you're out of luck. 10 across will be deployed across the entire 777 fleet. The density won't be as bad as HD, but it's increasing

Last edited by superangrypenguin; May 5, 2015 at 9:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.