Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I never mentioned anything about international stuff, just was answering your question

FWIW, my colleague in the same role in the US as me is a Delta Diamond guy, he hardly sits in Y e.g. almost always upgraded (like me, he only flies in the country in which he is employed with, so he's a US based engineer who only travels in the US).
I'm sure I made a DL elite very happy when I cancelled my SEA flight at the last minute
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Would a kind soul please check upgrade cspaces / J space unsold for me on AC8 HKG-YVR on April 25? My EF trial expired and I'm waiting to purchase when I get home.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:25 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by bonaventure
would a kind soul please check upgrade cspaces / j space unsold for me on ac8 hkg-yvr on april 25? My ef trial expired and i'm waiting to purchase when i get home.
ac 8
hkg
04/25/15 7:20 pm
yvr
04/25/15 4:10 pm

77w

j4 c3 d3 z2 p0 r0 o1 e0 n0 y9 b9 m9 u9 h9 q9 v0 w0 g0 s0 t0 l0 a0 k0
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by somedude3210
ac 8
hkg
04/25/15 7:20 pm
yvr
04/25/15 4:10 pm

77w

j4 c3 d3 z2 p0 r0 o1 e0 n0 y9 b9 m9 u9 h9 q9 v0 w0 g0 s0 t0 l0 a0 k0
Thanks a bunch!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Unlimited free upgrades without lotto?

So you get upgraded on every flight, guaranteed?
I mean, they're not going to kick paying J customers out of their seats, but yeah, if there's seats open, they move elites up until it's full.

I've had 80-90% success with this on American - as a lowly Platinum I only get it on short regionals - but like most US mainlines, they have a priority list, and they work down it until J is full.

...AC would of course view this as "cheapening the product", but then again AA's domestic J product is, for the most part, cheaper. My last AA upgrade was on a 15-year-old 757 whose J seats clearly hadn't been replaced since launch.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by yvrgary
I mean, they're not going to kick paying J customers out of their seats, but yeah, if there's seats open, they move elites up until it's full.

I've had 80-90% success with this on American - as a lowly Platinum I only get it on short regionals - but like most US mainlines, they have a priority list, and they work down it until J is full.

...AC would of course view this as "cheapening the product", but then again AA's domestic J product is, for the most part, cheaper. My last AA upgrade was on a 15-year-old 757 whose J seats clearly hadn't been replaced since launch.
I understand that. But I would not describe your 90% success rate as "unlimited free upgrades with no lotto". Because there's absolutely a lottery (or at least as much as there is on AC).
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:19 pm

I understand that. But I would not describe your 90% success rate as "unlimited free upgrades with no lotto". Because there's absolutely a lottery (or at least as much as there is on AC).
Fair enough.

Edit: Wait, no, not fair enough.

On AA, I'm eligible for a complimentary upgrade whether I've bought a full-Y fare or a rock-bottom discount Y fare, and my non-status wife comes with me.

On AC, I only have a chance at using my e-Ups if I've paid extra for a Flex/Lat fare.

On AA, I don't co-pay to use my upgrade certificates, regardless of class or status.

So no, really very different.

Last edited by YOWgary; Apr 23, 2015 at 12:43 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Because there's absolutely a lottery (or at least as much as there is on AC).
Yes, but with AC - you have to pay extra - often double - just to get a ticket.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by yvrgary
Fair enough.

Edit: Wait, no, not fair enough.

On AA, I'm eligible for a complimentary upgrade whether I've bought a full-Y fare or a rock-bottom discount Y fare, and my non-status wife comes with me.

On AC, I only have a chance at using my e-Ups if I've paid extra for a Flex/Lat fare.

On AA, I don't co-pay to use my upgrade certificates, regardless of class or status.

So no, really very different.
I never said anything that contradicts any of your points there though. I find this forum is notorious for someone saying "X is true", and someone else responding with "no, Y is not true".

But you've also fallen into the co-pay fallacy.

On AC, you can upgrade international flights without a co-pay only if you're SE.

On AA, you can upgrade international flights only if you're ExPlat.

If you're at a level where a co-pay would be necessary on AC, then you can't upgrade that flight on AA, period.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Yes, but with AC - you have to pay extra - often double - just to get a ticket.
But that's not part of this discussion.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:16 pm

But you've also fallen into the co-pay fallacy.

On AC, you can upgrade international flights without a co-pay only if you're SE.

On AA, you can upgrade international flights only if you're ExPlat.

If you're at a level where a co-pay would be necessary on AC, then you can't upgrade that flight on AA, period.

But that's not part of this discussion.
Hey, if you've got a stack of 17 stickers, you can upgrade DFW-SYD if you want. The world doesn't begin and end with SWUs.

Heck, if there's J space remaining at t-3h00, you could buy all 17 stickers off the website for well less than AC charges in co-Pay (and *way* less than an LMU).

Granted, you're likely to be in line behind a bunch of EXPs who *are* using SWUs, but that's no different than a 50K losing Aerolotto to a bunch of SEs.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
wrong again, you need to use LIMITED certs on AC to upgrade unless you were a fool and paid for a latitude ticket.

UA and AA have unlimited domestic upgrades, or if you really want to upgrade in advance (eg hawaii) flyers also have domestic upgrade to use WHEN BOOKING the ticket, no JOKE like AC waiting for 7 days before the flight.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by why fly
wrong again, you need to use LIMITED certs on AC to upgrade unless you were a fool and paid for a latitude ticket.

UA and AA have unlimited domestic upgrades, or if you really want to upgrade in advance (eg hawaii) flyers also have domestic upgrade to use WHEN BOOKING the ticket, no JOKE like AC waiting for 7 days before the flight.
Except again, I'm focusing on the word "lotto", and you're disagreeing with me about something I never said.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Except again, I'm focusing on the word "lotto", and you're disagreeing with me about something I never said.
your next problem on AC is the lack of J seats. and more are being removed.

So even when you use the SHRINKING supply of upgrades, you have less seats to upgrade into.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by why fly
your next problem on AC is the lack of J seats. and more are being removed.

So even when you use the SHRINKING supply of upgrades, you have less seats to upgrade into.
And AA's 8 J seat 319s would rank where exactly?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: aeroplan Elite, Priority Club. HHonours
Seems to me that there are virtually no recent meaningful comments relating to AC's 777HD aircraft which is/was the subject of this thread.

Perhaps its now time to close this thread given that just about every negative comment has been repeated several times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.