Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Not true since AC never tried asking the pilots for Rouge 777 wages/rules, just 767/319 until the renegotiated contract last year which allows other aircraft types only once all 787s have been delivered to AC. Impossible for the 777s to have been ordered for Rouge.

The Rouge-esque Virgin JV with AC over the Pacific... Likely.

"The Rouge-esque Virgin"
Now that would have been a cool name for an airline.

I like Cranky's take on Virgin America's announced flights to Hawaii

"How Virgin America Will Fly A320s to Hawai’i When Nobody Else Has Even Tried"

http://crankyflier.com/2015/04/09/ho...as-even-tried/
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: ACSE*2MM,CX Diamond, BA Gold, OW Emerald,Fairmont Platinum, SPG Platnium Lifetime,
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Umm.

I disagree with you here. No airline, or executive or sane human being ever goes and buys 5 multi million $ aircraft without a strategy in mind and then goes and creates one after the fact.

I'm sure you can hate BS and CR and all the "cronies" that people call them, but AC is a publicly traded org. They wouldn't have their jobs if they weren't at least somewhat good at it. Shareholders would fire them if they think another exec would have done a better job. So in my opinion, respectfully, I find this statement to be untrue. Hate them all you want, but the strategy as BS has spent a lot of time talking about has helped them to compete on certain ultra competitive routes. And their load factors are pretty high!

I don't recall EVER reading on FT a HD aircraft that went out with many empty seats.
I have been on AC#007 recently in January a couple of times whereby we went out with over 100 seats empty in Y and coming back on #008 over 15 to 20 seats open in J class. Possibly an anomaly or people are voting with their wallets. CX however oversold flights consistently in Y an PY which helps with OPUP's to J Class for me...-)
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by flybit
Someone said they were Rouge and at the last minute they were changed back to AC.
I know for a fact this is wrong.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
I just went back to the beginning of this thread, partly to see if that info was posted here and also (further down) to look for what I thought I had posted somewhere: Last year, I was told by some AC staff that some of these aircraft were done and ready for one of the Virgins, but they declined to take final delivery (money issues at the carrier), and therefore were given to AC (or at a huge discount) as partial compensation for late deliveries of the 788s.
Thanks, by gathering info posted here, it sounds like the original customer was Virgin Australia.

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
The 777s went straight from the factory to AC. The PE seats still had Virgin colours, so I believe they were ordered for the Virgin/AC JV that never took off.
Thanks, didn't know AC tried a jv with Virgin.

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Swiss air(Original 5) AC got major discount because of 787 delays. I think they were in storage.
Yep, sounds like AC got a sweet discount for the 787 delays.
From what I gather, the original customer appears to be Virgin Australia.
The seats do look similar to the LX J seats though.

Originally Posted by Studying
I flew J class on one last year from HKG-YVR and the SD told me the original customer was Virgin Australia.
Thanks for sharing!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC Altitude 50K, BA Blue, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, DVC, NEXUS
I've been on this plane three or four times now, twice in P/E and once in E. I've not had a chance to try the Studio Pods because each time I book (through work) I end up getting a Tango fare.

I love PE. It's definitely the way to fly, if you can, whether international or transcon (like I just did). I could sit in PE and be comfortable for a long haul journey. I would prefer an aisle or window as I've done middle seats - row 12 (bulk head) and row 13. If I had to sit in a middle seat again, I would not complain.

Economy, that's a whole other kettle of fish. I've done a 767 three times from YYZ to SCL for 11 hours, I was able to do Economy 5 times (I'm 6ft3 and at the time was well over 250lbs) - And believe me I tried to upgrade each time, I was only granted once as those seats sell.

I'm not sure I'd want to give it a try on the HD777. Even with an exit row next to the window, you were quite squished next to the wall. Just awful.

The other thing I don't get is, why would the airline pay for the support of, now, 2 sets of Premium Economy seats (777HD and 787 variants) and now four kinds of business class seating (narrow fleet, pods, studios and 787)? Seems costly.

Last edited by Mathan647; Apr 12, 2015 at 4:52 pm
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Mathan647
I've been on this plane three or four times now, twice in P/E and once in E. I've not had a chance to try the Studio Pods because each time I book (through work) I end up getting a Tango fare.

I love PE. It's definitely the way to fly, if you can, whether international or transcon (like I just did). I could sit in PE and be comfortable for a long haul journey. I would prefer an aisle or window as I've done middle seats - row 12 (bulk head) and row 13. If I had to sit in a middle seat again, I would not complain.

Economy, that's a whole other kettle of fish. I've done a 767 three times from YYZ to SCL for 11 hours, I was able to do Economy 5 times (I'm 6ft3 and at the time was well over 250lbs) - And believe me I tried to upgrade each time, I was only granted once as those seats sell.

I'm not sure I'd want to give it a try on the HD777. Even with an exit row next to the window, you were quite squished next to the wall. Just awful.

The other thing I don't get is, why would the airline pay for the support of, now, 2 sets of Premium Economy seats (777HD and 787 variants) and now four kinds of business class seating (narrow fleet, pods, studios and 787)? Seems costly.
Presumably recliners are required on narrowbodies so no real wiggle-room there. I think the direction AC is moving towards is the 787 seat - I understand pods will be replaced with something similar. The 777HD's were apparently planes that AC got a bargain on at the last minute and were actually configured for another airline (Virgin Australia?). So those planes wouldn't have what AC genuinely wants to move forward with in terms of seating.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Mathan647
desperation. The PE seating and changes in FF program will let AC remove lots of J seats.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
The other thing I don't get is, why would the airline pay for the support of, now, 2 sets of Premium Economy seats (777HD and 787 variants) and now four kinds of business class seating (narrow fleet, pods, studios and 787)? Seems costly.[/QUOTE]

This is normal for all airlines as they transition to new cabin styles.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
This is normal for all airlines as they transition to new cabin styles.
Do you think that the 777HD will have the EXACT same J seats as the 787, or will they go for some kind of HD J layout like JAL has?

Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Flying cube farm.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Flying cube farm.
I know right?

I wonder if the cabin feels claustrophobic.

If it doesn't, then its a really smart idea on how to use a 2-3-2 layout in J and still give aisle access to everyone.

Very private too.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
The window seats looks private. I actually like that. However, it is confirmed that for AC 777HD's that they are getting the same J seat as the 788 right?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
The window seats looks private. I actually like that. However, it is confirmed that for AC 777HD's that they are getting the same J seat as the 788 right?
I think I've flown that layout on EY. Was bizarre....but very private.

Ya, HD's are getting the 788 interior as far as we know.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian
I think I've flown that layout on EY. Was bizarre....but very private.
Was it claustrophobic?

Would you mind seeing it on an "hd plane"?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:40 pm

I think the game plan for AC is to transform all old J seats on the wide-bodies to the 787 J seats.
They should convert the 777HD planes first when it comes to cabin retrofit...the 777HD J seats are garbage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.