Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated information deleted]
Print Wikipost

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
I completely thought the supplemental card holders get all the same benefits to their aeroplan (zone 2 / free checked bag etc)...
I'd mostly suggest trying for E35K, then the benefits of the card can go to your wife (when you travel together). Though, I'll note that bag benefits don't stack: you don't get Altitude bags + CC bag, you as the primary card holder just get the number according to your Altitude. (You can check your wife's bag as your own, however).

Or switch her to the primary if possible, that would increase net benefit and flexibility, especially if you hit E35K+

I believe the supplementary card holder just gets a high earning ratio... but do correct me if I'm off!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by YULJetSet
Hi there. Does anyone know if a trip booked using BA points (not Aeroplan) would qualify for travel health insurance? (I know that it wouldn't qualify for cancellation/interruption since points aren't Aeroplan). The terms of benefits guide of the card don't seem to exclude trips booked with other points for health insurance....

Yes, you are covered for up to $1 million (no deductible, no copay) on trips up to 21 days long (4 days if you are 65 or over). You just need to hold the card, no need to book ticket with it. I called TD to confirm and promptly cancelled my out of country medical insurance, which I have needlessly been buying!

You can buy additional coverage on trips longer than 21 days.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Yes, you are covered for up to $1 million (no deductible, no copay) on trips up to 21 days long (4 days if you are 65 or over). You just need to hold the card, no need to book ticket with it. I called TD to confirm and promptly cancelled my out of country medical insurance, which I have needlessly been buying!

You can buy additional coverage on trips longer than 21 days.
MG- have you ever tried to collect on the cancellation/interruption coverage?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canolakid
MG- have you ever tried to collect on the cancellation/interruption coverage?
Not with this card as I rarely use it. I have filed lots of claims under my Amex policy as it kicks in after any delay. Most credit card insurance requires a delay of 4+ hours. My comments above are strictly for medical coverage. For trip interruption/cancellation, you need to have paid with the card.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Thanks- love my AMEX for claims related to revenue travel but when using AE am always looking for 'real world' experiences.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may want to look at this for additional coverage.

https://www.insurance.americanexpres...vel-insurance/

A lot of my trips are made up of multiple tickets (I'm on a SE Asia trip right now with 7 different tickets, some are award tickets, and some are not payable with Amex), so this insurance gives me coverage on trips that Amex doesn't cover. Since I've dropped the medical part, it only costs me $170/year and it has paid off in spades. I think I've had it for 4-5 years now.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:08 am

Has the TD aeroplan visa stopped giving 50% bonus miles for $spent on aircanada.ca?
Missing 1500 miles last statement. Called in and the agent said this bonus does not exist (yes, it is on the current TD aeroplan web page)

Thought I was being nice and pointing out an IT fail........
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by annehamnitz
Has the TD aeroplan visa stopped giving 50% bonus miles for $spent on aircanada.ca?
Missing 1500 miles last statement. Called in and the agent said this bonus does not exist (yes, it is on the current TD aeroplan web page)

Thought I was being nice and pointing out an IT fail........
It happened to me as well. I called in and needed to escalate to a supervisor before they recognized their mistake. I got the missing miles issued on the next statement.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: aeroplan
Just ran into this situation - used one aeroplan account to book both tickets (160,000 points) and YYC lounge (5 a.m. - empty) would only allow primary card holder into lounge. Ended up paying the $35 for the additional person - a very expensive coffee and yogurt breakfast.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by sharkflyer
Just ran into this situation - used one aeroplan account to book both tickets (160,000 points) and YYC lounge (5 a.m. - empty) would only allow primary card holder into lounge. Ended up paying the $35 for the additional person - a very expensive coffee and yogurt breakfast.
That is correct if you only have the Infinite version of the card. It comes with only 1 MLL entry. No guest is allowed. The Infinite Privilege version comes with 4 MLL entries which may be shared with your travel companions on the same booking using your Aeroplan account. The Infinite Privilege version comes additionally with 6 Priority Pass entries which may also be shared.

Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:18 am

Yes - read that after the fact. We both have independent cards and solution would have been to book two separate aeroplan tickets from two different accounts and then try to book seats together.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:38 am

Yes - read that after the fact. We both have independent cards and solution would have been to book two separate aeroplan tickets from two different accounts and then try to book seats together.
Bummer.

To clarify, they tried swiping each card and ticket separately and could tell the AP # associated with the second card didn't match? Or you first presented both tickets and one card?

If it's any consolation, I gave a pass to a friend with basically the same card so a pair could go in to YYC MLL at 9:00am or so on a weekend. A couple coffees and muffins for supposed "$70-100 value". *sigh*

In you have any more travel this month check out the gifting passes thread to see if someone can get you passes in time - a number are available right now.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
No worth the hassle of doing that just to access the lounge. IMHO. There are plenty of other ways to get access to lounges. One of them is churning cards that provide Priority Pass free lounge visits.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:18 am

First presented both tickets and one card - then they swiped each card and ticket separately and could tell the AP # associated with the second card didn't match. Interesting to note that when you book Aeroplan it does not give you the option of adding the second aeroplan # of the passenger's to that ticket. Even tried at check-in and the agent indicated they could not add in the AP# number.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
First presented both tickets and one card - then they swiped each card and ticket separately and could tell the AP # associated with the second card didn't match. Interesting to note that when you book Aeroplan it does not give you the option of adding the second aeroplan # of the passenger's to that ticket. Even tried at check-in and the agent indicated they could not add in the AP# number.
Can't you add the AP# at an automated kiosk during at the airport ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.