Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated information deleted]
Print Wikipost

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:20 am

Problems with Air Canada benefits with TD Aeroplan Infinite Visa Redeemed Tickets

I hope someone can help me, as this problem has bothered me for years. I have TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite for years. Whenever, I use my associated Aeroplan to redeem my reward tickets with Air Canada only flights, I never able to get my Air Canada benefits (the complimentary first checked bag, priority check-in and priority boarding) work properly. Every time, I need to ask the ground staff to get the magic work for the complimentary first checked bag, and I have never able to use the remaining benefits. I have called TD, Aeroplan, and even Air Canada for numerous times, and they just finger-point each others. Anyone has any suggestion where is the partner area that I can contact? Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Surprised at price differences between business flex and lowest for TPAC flights from YVR.

I want to take advantage of the free companion ticket that comes with this card (once per yr, on purchase of full fare (which I assume doesn't include business lowest), 50% off a companion ticket)

YVR to NRT in J lowest is about 4500 return, for two people would be 9000

YVR to NRT in J flex is 14000$ return, and I imagine would get the 50% off ticket --- definitely not a good deal.

Does anyone know of destinations or scenarios where the difference between J lowest and J flex isn't as extreme, such that using this feature of the card is actually worthwhile?

Fwiw, I have a good AC discount code I would redeem on this ticket, 20% off, but even with that its still cheaper to purchase two low J tickets!
If you require the flexibility of the flexible fare.

If the lowest J fares are sold out and you must travel on that flight on that day.

Otherwise, it is pretty much useless.

Years ago, one used to get a buy-one-get-one-free coupon once a year. Back then, very few routes have discounted business class fares. So it was a good deal, effectively a 50% discount. Not any more.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by amykywong
I hope someone can help me, as this problem has bothered me for years. I have TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite for years. Whenever, I use my associated Aeroplan to redeem my reward tickets with Air Canada only flights, I never able to get my Air Canada benefits (the complimentary first checked bag, priority check-in and priority boarding) work properly. Every time, I need to ask the ground staff to get the magic work for the complimentary first checked bag, and I have never able to use the remaining benefits. I have called TD, Aeroplan, and even Air Canada for numerous times, and they just finger-point each others. Anyone has any suggestion where is the partner area that I can contact? Thanks!
If you have tried to ask TD Visa to correct the problem without success, I suggest that you escalate your situation to TD's Customer Care department - [email protected]. If you are still not getting any resolution, write to the TD Ombudsman at [email protected].
Come back and post how did it work out!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by amykywong
Many of us have the same problem. My wife and I both have TD, and CIBC ae cards. We are supposed to get the benefits. But it has always been a hit and miss. Last year I couldn't get a free checked bag and my boarding pass showed zone 5.

You can contact TD, AC, and aeropeso. They all point finger at each other. All 3 parties.

After June 2020, it'll be 2 parties (AC and whichever) to point finger at each.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:51 pm

Apparently, it should automatically add the correct benefits to the award booking when you use the TD card for payment. This was my experience last year...I cancelled the card so I don't have any recent experience on this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
Apparently, it should automatically add the correct benefits to the award booking when you use the TD card for payment. This was my experience last year...I cancelled the card so I don't have any recent experience on this.
Wasn't the case for me, when I paid with TD ae visa. It's YMMV to get the benefits, and the 3 parties point finger at each other.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by Clipper801
If you require the flexibility of the flexible fare.

If the lowest J fares are sold out and you must travel on that flight on that day.

Otherwise, it is pretty much useless.

Years ago, one used to get a buy-one-get-one-free coupon once a year. Back then, very few routes have discounted business class fares. So it was a good deal, effectively a 50% discount. Not any more.
Thanks.
The companion fare deal is quite the rip off with this card
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Thanks.
The companion fare deal is quite the rip off with this card
Not entirely "rip off" but only in very few situations where one would find this discount code beneficial.
The credit card has some other good features but nowhere near a similar airline credit card would offer in the U.S.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: SPG
Does priority check-in and priority boarding work on purchased tickets with TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite? I know there is no free luggage.
I got zone 5 on Boarding Pass. Do I just show my credit card to board with zone 2?

Someone else is taking the flight later in a day booked using Aeroplan points, paid taxes using TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite - free 1 bag nor Zone 2 boarding did not show up. When trying to add 1 bag online, the website wants to charge $25 for the bag. Does she just need to show TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite at the airport to get free bag?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Vit007
Does priority check-in and priority boarding work on purchased tickets with TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite? I know there is no free luggage.
I got zone 5 on Boarding Pass. Do I just show my credit card to board with zone 2?
No, the Infinite Privilege Card gives those benefits on purchased tickets. The regular Infinite does not.

Someone else is taking the flight later in a day booked using Aeroplan points, paid taxes using TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite - free 1 bag nor Zone 2 boarding did not show up. When trying to add 1 bag online, the website wants to charge $25 for the bag. Does she just need to show TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite at the airport to get free bag?
Is 'she' the holder of the Visa card, or was the ticket booked for her?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:35 pm

1 free checked bag and zone 2 priority boarding only if the primary cardholder is flying on an Aeroplan redemption ticket booked from the primary cardholder's Aeroplan account. If you want 1 free checked bag and zone 2 priority boarding on all Air Canada flights (revenue or redemption), you have to get the TD/CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege card

She must be the primary cardholder and the redemption ticket must be booked from her Aeroplan account attached to the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite credit card. The flight must be operated by Air Canada, AC rouge, Jazz or AC Express. Star alliance such as UA does not qualify. Supplementary cardholders do not enjoy this benefit.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:27 am

With regards to the trip cancellation insurance offered by this card, does anyone have experience with how a case involving cancellation of an award booking would be adjudicated?

Quick background:

- we had made a flight redemption for 2 seats (25000x2 miles) and an amount of cash for the taxes etc.
- miles were earned with the credit card, and the redemption taxes were charged to it
- we had our infant son (lap traveler) on the reservation
- son presented with onset of illness the night before departure, and was declared unfit to fly on the morning of departure (about 6 hours before departure) by a physician
- I called and cancelled our itinerary
- I submitted a cancellation claim for the miles and cash expenditures
- I was reimbursed only the cash, not the miles
- Aeroplan's mileage refund requirement is a cancellation >= 22 days before departure (obviously not eligible here)

So I'm in a position where I'm out 50K miles and with seemingly no recourse because the claim was rejected by Allianz twice (once per regular adjudication, and again after I filed an appeal). They state that Aeroplan miles are not covered under this policy. My position is that the miles are an expense I incurred and for which I haven't been made whole.

Do I give up or pursue via some other means? I'm out of ideas.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Pay a change fee to move the flight to the future (outside the 22 day window), and then pay the cancellation fee.

For two bookings without Diamond status, that will be $500.

Of course, if the miles aren't worth $500 to you, I'd check with Allianz first to ensure this will work, but this is the "cancellation fee" I'd present to them. Even if they only cover the $300 in actual cancellation fees (the other $200 are change fees), that still seems like your best option.
Twickenham and jerry305 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:19 pm

Thanks for the reply. I should have posted here before even starting the claims process initially.

A few things are unclear to me:

1) How is the $500 calculated? Based on (https://kbr-aimia.kb.net/Article/index/12/6?id=5257&catId=1332) it seems that I'd pay $100x2x2 in change fees plus $150x2 in refund fees for a total of $700 plus taxes.
2) I'm not sure I'd be able to make any further claim against this trip considering they already reimbursed me for the cash portion of the original expense.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by yowspotter
- I called and cancelled our itinerary
- I submitted a cancellation claim for the miles and cash expenditures
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Pay a change fee to move the flight to the future (outside the 22 day window), and then pay the cancellation fee.
For two bookings without Diamond status, that will be $500.
Very good advice if one can think to do this before cancelling.
Is it too late now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.