Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated information deleted]
Print Wikipost

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
You can certainly walk in and talk to a teller, but they'll likely find an adviser (the ones that sit in the office) to sit down and walk thru everything with you.

For sure they'll at least try to cross-sell you other products, but my experience in the past was that a firm no thank you was sufficient and they were not pushy.

I was more annoyed with the repeated follow up calls several months later to check in with me and see if i had changed my mind

fwiw, we migrated most of our spending to MBNA Alaska just as a hedge.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Cerenity
You can certainly walk in and talk to a teller, but they'll likely find an adviser (the ones that sit in the office) to sit down and walk thru everything with you.

For sure they'll at least try to cross-sell you other products, but my experience in the past was that a firm no thank you was sufficient and they were not pushy.

I was more annoyed with the repeated follow up calls several months later to check in with me and see if i had changed my mind

fwiw, we migrated most of our spending to MBNA Alaska just as a hedge.
Yeah, I have an Alaska MC, and that's not a bad plan either for my hubby - especially since it comes with the companion fare.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by pokee
Yeah, I have an Alaska MC, and that's not a bad plan either for my hubby - especially since it comes with the companion fare.
And Alaska works well because you're in YVR.

The RBC teller said I needed an appointment to get a card.
Be sure to specify you have the existing competitor's card, and you want to "switch".
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:10 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I have both the TD card and the Alaska Card. I put almost nothing on the TD card anymore; will likely be cancelled shortly.

Our experiences with Alaska have been great and we are into our second year as MVP's.

The only minus with Alaska is that almost all flights leaving from the Vancouver area involve a connection in Seattle.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
My hubby wants to turf his TD Aeroplan, since it will be unlikely that we'll be redeeming any more Aeroplan flights after cleaning out our accounts (prior to the program ending).

He's been considering an RBC product - do you just walk up to a teller to do this - or do you need an appointment with a banking rep? Will they pressure you to sign up for a bank account mortgage (he hates that stuff)? Also, do you know if they'll also do a FYF for a BA Avios Visa instead, or is this offer only typically good for Avion?
Just walk into RBC and tell whoever you meet first. Of course bring your TD ae infinite card. RBC will give you their Avion infinite visa card with first year fee waived. Well they'll take your application to make sure you qualify and you'll get a credit hit. But that FYF and the 15k bonus points are good.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:30 pm

Since the RBC Avion is being talked about, I'd just like to point out that there's an improved 25k offer on that card right now:

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/services/cards/avion-ofr2-f-or.html
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by flyer05
Since the RBC Avion is being talked about, I'd just like to point out that there's an improved 25k offer on that card right now:

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/service...ofr2-f-or.html
Ohhh - this is a GOOD offer! Anyone know when it expires?

Also, I've held an Avion before, but many moons ago - probably about 4 years ago. Think there will be any issue with me getting the bonus? I currently hold an RBC Westjet card, which was originally opened as an Avion account, so they'll have a record of that information, I suspect, if I log into my RBC account when I apply. Better to not log in - or not document my current RBC credit card account when I apply?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Ohhh - this is a GOOD offer! Anyone know when it expires?

Also, I've held an Avion before, but many moons ago - probably about 4 years ago. Think there will be any issue with me getting the bonus? I currently hold an RBC Westjet card, which was originally opened as an Avion account, so they'll have a record of that information, I suspect, if I log into my RBC account when I apply. Better to not log in - or not document my current RBC credit card account when I apply?
It shouldn't matter. It's just like churning the TD or CIBC ae cards. You can get one, cancel or product switch, then later get another one.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:13 pm

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/service...ofr2-f-or.html
This offer is 25,000 Avion points. I don't see that the $120 annual fee is waived.

If you walk into an RBC branch and display a competitor's card, and say you want to switch, you should be able to get 15,000 Avion points, with $0 annual fee.

Myself, I value the 25,000 offer ($120) a little less than the 15,000 offer ($0). Yes, it does require the time you spend at the branch to do it, though.

Also, the tiers with the RBC Avion program are:
15,000 Short-haul: Canada/United States Within or to an adjacent Province/Territory/U.S. State $350
35,000 Long-haul: Canada/United States Anywhere in Canada/U.S except Hawaii and Alaska $750
etc.

The in-branch offer gets you 15,000 points, which is right at one of the thresholds. My plan is to get my 15,000 Avion points, book a short haul flight (value $350), and call it a day with that card.

If you start with 25,000 Avion points, though, then you need to spend $10,000 more, to earn another 10,000 Avion points, to be able to use all your points.

So, if you're looking for a flight that's gonna be worth close to $750, then that might be the better option.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
This offer is 25,000 Avion points. I don't see that the $120 annual fee is waived.

If you walk into an RBC branch and display a competitor's card, and say you want to switch, you should be able to get 15,000 Avion points, with $0 annual fee.

Myself, I value the 25,000 offer ($120) a little less than the 15,000 offer ($0). Yes, it does require the time you spend at the branch to do it, though.

Also, the tiers with the RBC Avion program are:
15,000 Short-haul: Canada/United States Within or to an adjacent Province/Territory/U.S. State $350
35,000 Long-haul: Canada/United States Anywhere in Canada/U.S except Hawaii and Alaska $750
etc.

The in-branch offer gets you 15,000 points, which is right at one of the thresholds. My plan is to get my 15,000 Avion points, book a short haul flight (value $350), and call it a day with that card.

If you start with 25,000 Avion points, though, then you need to spend $10,000 more, to earn another 10,000 Avion points, to be able to use all your points.

So, if you're looking for a flight that's gonna be worth close to $750, then that might be the better option.
The "competitor Visa Infinite" offer is available over the phone as well. So you can apply online for the 25,000 points, then call in and ask them to waive the fee because you hold another Visa Infinite product.

Just tested this myself and it works. ^
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:06 pm

The "competitor Visa Infinite" offer is available over the phone as well. So you can apply online for the 25,000 points, then call in and ask them to waive the fee because you hold another Visa Infinite product.

Just tested this myself and it works. ^
That was fast!
So were you accepted automatically, and that's how they can already waive the fee on your account?

Well, I've applied and received the card with the 15,000 point deal.
I wonder ... should I visit a branch and ask if I could get my bonus bumped up to 25,000?
Or try requesting this by phone?

I'm not sure that either will work, but I could try...
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC 25K
Switched to CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite... for now.

Well, I couldn't hold off any longer to get a new VISA card...
my AMEX won't be accepted where I'm travelling... so I took the plunge, resigned to the fact I was actually going to PAY the annual fee.

So as an end-run... I've applied for the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite card for the $120 annual fee and for 15,000 AE welcome bonus. (No spend req's.)

When I get back from my trip, I'll see if TD has any new offers with FYF, or I'll bite the bullet and switch to a TD AE Visa Infinite, under the Competetor Visa Infinite offer and scoop another 25,000 AE welcome points... and then cancel my CIBC card and get a pro-rated annual fee refund.

If I'm going to have to pay, I might as well maximize my points. 😊
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by bual
Well, I couldn't hold off any longer to get a new VISA card...
my AMEX won't be accepted where I'm travelling... so I took the plunge, resigned to the fact I was actually going to PAY the annual fee.

So as an end-run... I've applied for the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite card for the $120 annual fee and for 15,000 AE welcome bonus. (No spend req's.)

When I get back from my trip, I'll see if TD has any new offers with FYF, or I'll bite the bullet and switch to a TD AE Visa Infinite, under the Competetor Visa Infinite offer and scoop another 25,000 AE welcome points... and then cancel my CIBC card and get a pro-rated annual fee refund.

If I'm going to have to pay, I might as well maximize my points. 😊
Good luck! It will be good to know if cancellling after receiving your welcome points will also be eligible for a pro-rated refund of the annual fee.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:05 pm

TD Aeroplan Delayed Baggage Insurance Help

Hi
Just got off the phone with the company that handles TD banks delayed baggage insurance using the TD aeroplan infinite card and my connection here is poor and it was difficult to hear and understand the agent. I am not 100% sure from what i could understand that the maximum spend limit for this type of claim is $1000.00 CAD. I checked already in the master plan but does not state a maximum amount. The $1000.00 CAD seems high to me I was under the impression for it being $200.00 Confirmed with airline staff that my bags will be delayed for more then 48 hours.

Can anyone confirm this amount is correct.

Thank You so much in advance

Cheers

Last edited by dansam; Nov 22, 2017 at 2:18 pm
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:49 pm

Yes, but subject to other terms and conditions, e.g., you must have bought your air ticket with the card, your bag must be delayed for at least 6 hours at your destinations and you may only purchase Essential Items, amongst other things.

jerry305 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.