Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated information deleted]
Print Wikipost

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Well I certainly did not get this.... Only got 5000 points from retention during the process of cancellation
I just tried to do this while on the phone with TD, is there a way to get retentions to give in somehow?

I'm 5k away from a miles balance milestone, so I called in and tried to cancel, but the representative wouldn't budge and said "we don't just hand out free miles" even when I asked if he could "convince" me to stay. Thankfully the thunderstorms where I am made the call staticky so I didn't have to end it myself awkwardly.

So yeah, what's the magic recipe? Thanks!

For reference:
I called in, said I was unhappy with the card because of the lack of Android Pay, he said that it was a very weird reason why I'm cancelling but would go ahead an honour my request and I didn't proceed with cancellation so that I could try again with another rep.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:05 pm

How much you spend is usually a good starting point. One transaction wonders are probably not going to get any retention
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:06 pm

Had an annoying experience last week with the benefits. Had a AE reward flight out of MCO on Monday evening, when I checked in I was charged for baggage. Seeing as how I was at Disney I didn't really care and figured i'd take it up with AC once I got home. I fired an email to them the other night and shockingly received a response within 30 hours (new record for me). In their eyes I didn't qualify for free first checked bag because I was not on an eligible itinerary. Odd considering it was an AE reward, I used my TD card to pay the fees and I was I primary passenger. I replied asking for clarification and (unsurprisingly) I haven't heard back.

What makes it really weird is that everything else went through perfectly. Got Zone 2 boarding, had the AE*CC printed on the boarding pass and received no push back when using the priority checkin.

Not sure i want to pursue it any further as I really don't care that much. Though I was and still am slightly annoyed by the stupidity of the whole situation.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:51 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Bryan Tran
I just tried to do this while on the phone with TD, is there a way to get retentions to give in somehow?

I'm 5k away from a miles balance milestone, so I called in and tried to cancel, but the representative wouldn't budge and said "we don't just hand out free miles" even when I asked if he could "convince" me to stay. Thankfully the thunderstorms where I am made the call staticky so I didn't have to end it myself awkwardly.

So yeah, what's the magic recipe? Thanks!

For reference:
I called in, said I was unhappy with the card because of the lack of Android Pay, he said that it was a very weird reason why I'm cancelling but would go ahead an honour my request and I didn't proceed with cancellation so that I could try again with another rep.
I already have the CIBC Visa Infinite Aeroplan product and also had the TD equivalent as well. I talked TD out of the first year's fee about a year ago and, with renewal time coming up, decided to cancel with TD since most of my spend is on CIBC.

When I called to cancel, they basically said I couldn't do that until I spoke to their retentions people. They asked me flat out what I wanted - I said another year fee free and some miles. They offered my 10K miles but that was it. I cancelled the card as planned.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: AC SE
My annual fee was coming on my TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite so I called to cancel. I pushed for a retention offer but didn't get anything. They offered me to open a checking account at TD and, if I left $5,000 in that account, they would waive the annual fee. I said no thanks, and closed the account. I had an annual spend of about $15,000 on that card. They wouldn't even offer some free miles to motivate me to keep the account open.

Now I need to find another Visa or MasterCard as a backup card as Amex doesn't work everywhere.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by jasdou
Now I need to find another Visa or MasterCard as a backup card as Amex doesn't work everywhere.
If you are keen on AP, you could try the CIBC variants. Several people and me have had success with their retention people.

That said, as I had legitimately intended to cancel my CIBC card and AP is nose diving, I also picked up the BMO World Elite MC (non air miles one), which came with a free first year, 40,000 points, and 4 PPL access per year. I have not yet tried to redeem.
jerry305 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by eracerblue

If you are keen on AP, you could try the CIBC variants. Several people and me have had success with their retention people.

That said, as I had legitimately intended to cancel my CIBC card and AP is nose diving, I also picked up the BMO World Elite MC (non air miles one), which came with a free first year, 40,000 points, and 4 PPL access per year. I have not yet tried to redeem.
That's a good option for the next year.
You could also walk into an RBC branch and say you want to switch to an RBC product. You should be able to get first year annual fee waived. (Search "rbc switch" in this thread.)
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
My annual fee was coming on my TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite so I called to cancel. I pushed for a retention offer but didn't get anything. They offered me to open a checking account at TD and, if I left $5,000 in that account, they would waive the annual fee.
That's the "TD All-inlcusive Plan" , 1 free credit card plus free safety deposit box rental, certified checks, money orders, no ATM fee worldwide, ..etc.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:24 pm

My annual fee was coming on my TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite so I called to cancel. I pushed for a retention offer but didn't get anything....They wouldn't even offer some free miles to motivate me to keep the account open.

Why even try to keep your account open, just plan and closing it and signup again in six months for a new bonus. Rinse and repeat, ideally with a different issuer every quarter.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I see that there are no current (good) offers in the wiki above.

I'm in a churning mood.
Are there any offers worth churning?
Should I plan to walk into a TD branch, with an RBC card, asking if they have a competitive match offer?
Will I be able to get FYF? 15,000 or more?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Supposedly a TD Aeroplan offer is coming in March that will be FYF + slight increase in bonus
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by Cerenity
Supposedly a TD Aeroplan offer is coming in March that will be FYF + slight increase in bonus
Source?

CIBC just had their FYF and 15k bonus, which we took up.

Our TD ae will be coming up for renewal, so we'll be product switching to no fee. We could always ask for an AI account to be opened up and paid for (for 2 months) to waive the AF, but that takes more time. If a FYF comes up, that'll make it easier.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by yscleo
Source?

CIBC just had their FYF and 15k bonus, which we took up.

Our TD ae will be coming up for renewal, so we'll be product switching to no fee. We could always ask for an AI account to be opened up and paid for (for 2 months) to waive the AF, but that takes more time. If a FYF comes up, that'll make it easier.
Think this is just the rumour as some "in the know"/experienced churners say that March is historically when TD usually comes out with their bonus signup offers.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Saw it in the churningcanada reddit, Feb 24 daily thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/churningcan...anada/durqd5x/

I'm guessing its insider info (like a branch employee who gets heads up of upcoming promo periods maybe).
yscleo, jerry305 and WesternCDN like this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Visa Infinite Privilege- reward ticket question

Surprised at price differences between business flex and lowest for TPAC flights from YVR.

I want to take advantage of the free companion ticket that comes with this card (once per yr, on purchase of full fare (which I assume doesn't include business lowest), 50% off a companion ticket)

YVR to NRT in J lowest is about 4500 return, for two people would be 9000

YVR to NRT in J flex is 14000$ return, and I imagine would get the 50% off ticket --- definitely not a good deal.

Does anyone know of destinations or scenarios where the difference between J lowest and J flex isn't as extreme, such that using this feature of the card is actually worthwhile?

Fwiw, I have a good AC discount code I would redeem on this ticket, 20% off, but even with that its still cheaper to purchase two low J tickets!

Last edited by YVRYEGYVR; Mar 13, 2018 at 9:33 pm Reason: correction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.