Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated information deleted]
Print Wikipost

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Based on fine print no. 3 , no you do not have to use the card to pay the taxes/surcharges.

However to get coverage for the flight-related travel insurance, you should pay with this card (or the CIBC aeroplan card).
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by beep88
However to get coverage for the flight-related travel insurance, you should pay with this card (or the CIBC aeroplan card).
I can attest to the value of doing that.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: AC 25K
I'm currently without a TD Infinite Visa card for the first time in a million years!
I'm not willing to pay an annual fee, and I would like more points.

They offered me (unspecified #) points not to cancel... but wouldn't waive the fee.

I'm just running up my Amex Gold card right now...
waiting for the next TD offer... if that ever happens again.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by bual
I'm currently without a TD Infinite Visa card for the first time in a million years!

They offered me (unspecified #) points not to cancel... but wouldn't waive the fee.

This is the first time since the 2014 launch of the TD Aero card that there hasn't been a FYF offer, either direct with TD or through one of the affiliated partners. Feels weird, in a way. I wonder if this is related to May's announcement of AC's imminent breakup with AP?

Myself, I was due to open a new TD Aero card in June, but felt like it was better to burn up the Aeros, rather than continue to earn them, all because of the eventual breakup. So, like you, I find myself without a TD Aero Infinite for the first time since 2014. And no, I'm not going to open an All-Inclusive account and deposit $5K in there to waive the fees.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
This is the first time since the 2014 launch of the TD Aero card that there hasn't been a FYF offer, either direct with TD or through one of the affiliated partners. Feels weird, in a way. I wonder if this is related to May's announcement of AC's imminent breakup with AP?

Myself, I was due to open a new TD Aero card in June, but felt like it was better to burn up the Aeros, rather than continue to earn them, all because of the eventual breakup. So, like you, I find myself without a TD Aero Infinite for the first time since 2014. And no, I'm not going to open an All-Inclusive account and deposit $5K in there to waive the fees.
Aeroplan makes note in their last quarterly of some related reductions in "monthly gross new card acquisitions" and attributes it to "expected campaign phasing". In other words, TD and CIBC have decreased their efforts to recruit new cardholders - so, that would imply a decrease in great sign-up offers.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by robsaw
Aeroplan makes note in their last quarterly of some related reductions in "monthly gross new card acquisitions" and attributes it to "expected campaign phasing". In other words, TD and CIBC have decreased their efforts to recruit new cardholders - so, that would imply a decrease in great sign-up offers.
Neither bank has decreased efforts to recruit new card holders, rather both banks have stopped acquisition of low value / loss making customers (FYF) to focus on specific customer niches to round out their credit portfolios (higher income, business cards) and let their vintages mature.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:20 am

How to use TD Visa free checked bag allowance?

Hi

I just booked my husband a reward flight from his account and am thinking of getting him the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite card. If I do this, I assume he will be able to get a free checked bag as he will be the primary card holder and travelling on a reward ticket.

How do you make sure you get the free bag? when you check in online, it asks how many bags you have. If I say one, then they will charge us for it. Do you put zero and then when you get to the airport see an agent?

Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by uandmfan
Hi

You put zero and then when you get to the airport see an agent
That's right.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by uandmfan
Hi

I just booked my husband a reward flight from his account and am thinking of getting him the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite card. If I do this, I assume he will be able to get a free checked bag as he will be the primary card holder and travelling on a reward ticket.

How do you make sure you get the free bag? when you check in online, it asks how many bags you have. If I say one, then they will charge us for it. Do you put zero and then when you get to the airport see an agent?

Thanks!
You have to allow 2~3 weeks after one receives and activates the new TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite card for the information to be updated. The system should recognize your husband to be TDAVI cardholder and will not prompt you for the baggage fee if you select 1. You do not have to enter 0 and go to the airport to see an agent.

The card also comes with one complimentary Maple Leaf Lounge access as well as the use of priority check-in counter and zone 2 boarding.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
You have to allow 2~3 weeks after one receives and activates the new TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite card for the information to be updated. The system should recognize your husband to be TDAVI cardholder and will not prompt you for the baggage fee if you select 1. You do not have to enter 0 and go to the airport to see an agent.

The card also comes with one complimentary Maple Leaf Lounge access as well as the use of priority check-in counter and zone 2 boarding.
I think you are correct with this. When I first opened the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite card, about a week after I activated the card the system did not recognize that I should get a free bag during online check in, so I had to show my card to the check in agent at the airport. Fortunately he recognized the card has the feature and did not charge me for the baggage, though I can understand if they would deny me as well (for example, what if I showed a card that was no longer active, but cancelled).
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by WKnight
I think you are correct with this. When I first opened the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite card, about a week after I activated the card the system did not recognize that I should get a free bag during online check in, so I had to show my card to the check in agent at the airport. Fortunately he recognized the card has the feature and did not charge me for the baggage, though I can understand if they would deny me as well (for example, what if I showed a card that was no longer active, but cancelled).
It's in the T&C. 2 weeks but I would allow 3 weeks to be safe.

Please read the last sentence.

Attached Images  
Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
RBC maintains a "switch" program:
Go to RBC branch.
Say you're tired of CIBC Aeroplan / TD Aeroplan / similar card (which, technically, is true).
Rep will sign you up for 15,000 Avion, FYF.

I wish TD offered something similar.
Or some offer worth signing up for.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by bual

FWIW, AF was posted this statement, I called TD last week to cancel, and they agreed to waive the AF.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by YOWinSomeYOLoseSome
FWIW, AF was posted this statement, I called TD last week to cancel, and they agreed to waive the AF.
Funny, I tried the same and they adamantly would not waive the fee.

? dependent on person you speak to perhaps...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
RBC maintains a "switch" program:
Go to RBC branch.
Say you're tired of CIBC Aeroplan / TD Aeroplan / similar card (which, technically, is true).
Rep will sign you up for 15,000 Avion, FYF.

I wish TD offered something similar.
Or some offer worth signing up for.
My hubby wants to turf his TD Aeroplan, since it will be unlikely that we'll be redeeming any more Aeroplan flights after cleaning out our accounts (prior to the program ending).

He's been considering an RBC product - do you just walk up to a teller to do this - or do you need an appointment with a banking rep? Will they pressure you to sign up for a bank account mortgage (he hates that stuff)? Also, do you know if they'll also do a FYF for a BA Avios Visa instead, or is this offer only typically good for Avion?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.