FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1520277-master-thread-td-aeroplan-credit-card.html)

claurianta2 Nov 10, 2013 5:58 am

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Hello,

Does anyone know when TD will be announcing their offers for Aeroplan credit cards? They should be up and running on January 1, so shouldn't they be ramping up publicity soon?

flyCsG Nov 10, 2013 8:15 am

January 1. The existing agreement between Aimia and CIBC prohibits them from marketing/offering prior to that.

Stranger Nov 10, 2013 8:49 am

Originally Posted by flyCsG (Post 21759403)
January 1. The existing agreement between Aimia and CIBC prohibits them from marketing/offering prior to that.

I cannot see how an agreement between Aerocrap and *CIBC* would prohibit anything to TD?

(OK, must be the deal with TD, not CIBC... :D )

flyCsG Nov 10, 2013 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 21759535)
I cannot see how an agreement between Aerocrap and *CIBC* would prohibit anything to TD?

(OK, must be the deal with TD, not CIBC... :D )

Because Aimia and CIBC entered into an exclusivity agreement that ends December 31.

EDIT: Came back to say, I guess technically the clause will be in the deal between Aimia and TD. :D

Cana2013 Nov 10, 2013 12:17 pm

Any prediction about how good are the coming TD offers?

Absolute Nov 11, 2013 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Cana2013 (Post 21760457)
Any prediction about how good are the coming TD offers?

I'll predict that they'll be good to start.

Vasco Nov 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Absolute (Post 21763460)
I'll predict that they'll be good to start.

I disagree. I don't see anything more than 15k with first-year free. The whole point is that they bought existing cardholders and captive customers. Where is the incentive to give out large sign-up bonuses for TD? I can see CIBC and Amex upping their offers, but TD's already bought you, it doesn't need to woo you.

Ichinensei Nov 11, 2013 3:29 pm

TD credit card announcement timeline?

TD only offered 10000 points when they had AA, and the fee was never waived as far as I remembered so I wouldn't expect too much..

mikeycanuk Nov 11, 2013 7:31 pm

CIBC already has TD's money that would have been spent on bonus offers. Too bad, so sad, but the banks are looking out for #1

And it isn't us.

HerpaYvr Nov 11, 2013 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk (Post 21768287)
CIBC already has TD's money that would have been spent on bonus offers. Too bad, so sad, but the banks are looking out for #1

And it isn't us.

#1 are the shareholders! Plain and simple!

somedude3210 Nov 12, 2013 1:18 am

I think TD will come out hard and fast in promoting their new Aeroplan offering(s). While they definitely paid to acquire an existing customer base, I'm expecting TD to heavily promote and incentivize to new cardholders product(s) that differentiates from the same old offering that was had with CIBC.

yerffej201 Nov 12, 2013 2:38 am

Definitely something with first year fee waived. Given the cc market is much more competitive with public amex 20k-25k offers with first year waived, scotiabank with 15k and waived first year too, and cibc with 30k non-waived and 15k earlier waived, I'd say TD definitely would be a minimum of 15k + waived, up to 25k if not more :)
RBC offered 50k for the ba infinite when it first lanched so i wouldn't see why td wouldn't do something similar!
maybe 15-20k for a non infinite product and 40k with hefty spend on visa infinite? :D

c_9 Nov 12, 2013 7:53 am

I wonder how many cardholders will suddenly become TD cardholders without their consent, and will cancel? January should be an interesting time in their call centre.

I certainly plan to cancel. I may not necessarily mention that I'll sign up again as soon as there's a good bonus.

muskoka Nov 12, 2013 9:23 am

I plan to cancel my CIBC Aerogold in December. I have ordered the B of M World Elite MasterCard (with no fee 1st yr and 30,000 signup points & 4 free Priority Club passes) to bridge the gap for merchants that do not take AMEX until I see what TD is offering. (My main card is Aeroplat AMEX). Should be interesting to see if TD just offers the run of the mill 20,000 points or whether they really offer something special. As I do almost all of my regular banking with TD, I'm hoping they may offer a reduced fee or some other perk for their most valued banking customers. ^

tryinginvain Nov 12, 2013 10:39 am

Originally Posted by muskoka (Post 21771202)
I plan to cancel my CIBC Aerogold in December. I have ordered the B of M World Elite MasterCard (with no fee 1st yr and 30,000 signup points & 4 free Priority Club passes) to bridge the gap for merchants that do not take AMEX until I see what TD is offering. (My main card is Aeroplat AMEX). Should be interesting to see if TD just offers the run of the mill 20,000 points or whether they really offer something special. As I do almost all of my regular banking with TD, I'm hoping they may offer a reduced fee or some other perk for their most valued banking customers. ^

Can the B or M points be transferred to aeroplan? If not, are they enough to redeem for something decent or do you have to commit to spending on the card to get some value out of it?