Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by CanRulez
You are not allowed to complain since most of your flights are award tickets.
Ha ha, good one

But....there was actually nothing to complain about, seriously
I took a PAID (price error, $270 CAD/round-trip) flight YYZ-CDG on AC 788 earlier 2016, really about the same good experience besides the IFE difference

I would've taken YYZ-PRG again for the nonstop (I paid extra $28 YQ b/c of it, well worth it) vs. a say YYZ-YUL-ZRH-PRG on LX option

Nobody really flies nonstop to PRG, for one

Although now SN flies YYZ-BRU, I MAY go for YYZ-BRU-PRG in Y, if available.
For Business, definitely SN or 1-stop alternatives over ACr nonstop
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I broke down and did a rogue LAS-YVR and MCO-YYZ this month. One airbus, one B767. Both in "j". just 'ok' for a few-hour flight. " j" seat pitch seemed about the same as a AC dash8, or a Southwest 738.

Y legroom seems about on par with the bottom feeder US carriers (Allegiant/Spirit/Frontier). Which is to say, inhumane.

Had I been on a route with less than 2-3 scheduled daily flights I would have never considered flying rogue.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
So here were are 439 pages, 6,585 posts and rouge is still here.

Somewhere between post 3,770 (mine, on Sept 14, 2014) and now, I posted that I believed rouge would become Air Canada's mainline operation in North America. I said that the PLH transcon routes along with the key high-profile international routes, would remained Air Canada branded.
I doubt that services even like YVRYYC will become rogue.
Look at the comparable service on LAXSFO on DL...
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I doubt that services even like YVRYYC will become rogue.
Look at the comparable service on LAXSFO on DL...

There are a couple of reasons I believe what I predicted:

1. If you read this entire thread, especially posts from the AC reps along with news announcements, over the period of a few years, the reason rouge was launched has been modified. The routes that were part of the original plan have changed, such that routes that were ML became rouge and of course, some were un-rouged (no disagreement with adding new routes that could not be maintained by ML).

2. The original message was that rouge would be LCC and leisure routes.

It turned out rouge was low cost only to AC as the fares were the same as ML with less offerings (even on the same routes, plus less comfort in Y)

So, since I didn't place $$$ on my personal assumption and since I don't fly rouge, it is less relevant to me.

Anyway, my subtle (?) point in my post (# 6585) was for FTers to read the OP from Dec 2012, then Ben L's comment, then the amusingly sarcastic reply from CloudsBelow reminding the naysayers that ...

.....ROUGE IS STILL HERE

For those who choose to fly them, great, for those who only want what they think is the cheapest ticket, great, and for those if us who choose to do so, there are other options.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
There are a couple of reasons I believe what I predicted:

1. If you read this entire thread, especially posts from the AC reps along with news announcements, over the period of a few years, the reason rouge was launched has been modified. The routes that were part of the original plan have changed, such that routes that were ML became rouge and of course, some were un-rouged (no disagreement with adding new routes that could not be maintained by ML).

2. The original message was that rouge would be LCC and leisure routes.

It turned out rouge was low cost only to AC as the fares were the same as ML with less offerings (even on the same routes, plus less comfort in Y)

So, since I didn't place $$$ on my personal assumption and since I don't fly rouge, it is less relevant to me.

Anyway, my subtle (?) point in my post (# 6585) was for FTers to read the OP from Dec 2012, then Ben L's comment, then the amusingly sarcastic reply from CloudsBelow reminding the naysayers that ...

.....ROUGE IS STILL HERE

For those who choose to fly them, great, for those who only want what they think is the cheapest ticket, great, and for those if us who choose to do so, there are other options.
But what about all those 737 Maxes? Surely they are meant for non long hauls but rather for main operations for NA, just saying.
Unless.. I mean if they are going to paint red pain on the tailfins of those brand new planes. There are 61 of them... coming
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
But what about all those 737 Maxes? Surely they are meant for non long hauls but rather for main operations for NA, just saying.
Unless.. I mean if they are going to paint red pain on the tailfins of those brand new planes. There are 61 of them... coming

I don't see the connection between my post above your your questions below it.

The topics are not the same, nor did you specifically indicate if you were asking me these questions or the FT universe in general.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I don't see the connection between my post above your your questions below it.

The topics are not the same, nor did you specifically indicate if you were asking me these questions or the FT universe in general.
"I posted that I believed rouge would become Air Canada's mainline operation in North America. I said that the PLH transcon routes along with the key high-profile international routes, would remained Air Canada branded."

Sorry, Maybe should have quoted that also.
I guess I will rephrase the question again, if you believe Rouge would become AC's mainline operation in NA, that would suggest that most of the new incoming 737 Max would be under rouge banner?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:47 am
Suspended

"I posted that I believed rouge would become Air Canada's mainline operation in North America. I said that the PLH transcon routes along with the key high-profile international routes, would remained Air Canada branded."

Sorry, Maybe should have quoted that also.
I guess I will rephrase the question again, if you believe Rouge would become AC's mainline operation in NA, that would suggest that most of the new incoming 737 Max would be under rouge banner?

No.

What I believe may happen has nothing to do with what AC plans to do with its new 737s.

Other airlines operate 737 variations on transcon routes, so why would AC be any different. They seem to have enough birds to manage their international (and summer) rouge route capacity. I make that assumption since AC is able to get people to and fro.

I have no experience with the 737 MAX obviously, but I enjoyed my 739 flights on AS (eg. ANC-LAX 5-6 hours) and my 738 flights on AA (3-5 hours, various).
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Absent some kind of massive shake-up to the labour agreements with AC pilots, the 737s are certainly headed for mainline. The labour agreements, IMO, are the elephant in the room as far as how much Rouge can be expanded.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
todays Globe and Mail has Calin saying they are looking into expanding Rouge beyond the 50 planes depending on conversations with Pilots.
reality is the 787 seating in Y is already Rouge.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by flybit
todays Globe and Mail has Calin saying they are looking into expanding Rouge beyond the 50 planes depending on conversations with Pilots.
reality is the 787 seating in Y is already Rouge.
Exactly. Mainline Y is already Rouge standards anyway.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:44 am

No.

What I believe may happen has nothing to do with what AC plans to do with its new 737s.

Other airlines operate 737 variations on transcon routes, so why would AC be any different. They seem to have enough birds to manage their international (and summer) rouge route capacity. I make that assumption since AC is able to get people to and fro.

I have no experience with the 737 MAX obviously, but I enjoyed my 739 flights on AS (eg. ANC-LAX 5-6 hours) and my 738 flights on AA (3-5 hours, various).
I guess the difference is that I believe your belief hinges with AC"s plan with the 60 737Max(&Bombardier ones btw) that's coming.

But hey..what do I know right?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Exactly. Mainline Y is already Rouge standards anyway.
Yes, for seat density, but it does not have the Rouge cost savings of lower pilot & FA pay. So there is still an incentive for AC to move operations from mainline to Rouge.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:25 am
Suspended

I guess the difference is that I believe your belief hinges with AC"s plan with the 60 737Max(&Bombardier ones btw) that's coming.

But hey..what do I know right?

I don't know what you know.

Otherwise, I've always thought LH did an interesting job dividing mainline routes under the LH banner (say premium or high-profile) with other routes moved to germanwings

As someone wiser than me mentioned here, LH also made sure that the brands and communication were differentiated from LH.

AC and rouge did not. IMO and that of others.

Plus, the goal posts kept moving. If you read this entire thread, you'll see what I mean. (One of my favourite sections deals with the original "J" version of the seats for the rouge aircraft versus the ultimate replacements. Pillow in the middle anyone?)

Same thing with the goofy Disney training. I am not taking the kids to See Mickey and Minnie so that service attitude is not appealing to me, and certainly not on routes that are not "leisure" in the first place.

Anyway, we can argue about that until hell freezes over which should be ....
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: *G
No doubt the new 737s will be rouge style seating (more, closer together and less non revenue space such as galleys and washrooms). But the C series will be fascinating - it's making its mark so far as being spacious. I'm sure AC will find a way to do away with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.